Your 2020 Falcons Player of the Year?

falcndave

7 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Geez.

I've always wondered since punters are so much better now than ever at forcing fair catches. Why bother with returning? Just rush every punt.

Crazy for us to imagine, but some teams actually have these guys that are called special team coordinators.

They do all kinds of wacky stuff like review film and find gaps to attack the kick with.  They then attack those gaps while setting up a blocking scheme so a really fast guy can catch the punt and return it. Theres even one team that actually uses their backup quarterback to block punts... and he actually does it !!! I know, you probably think I am crazy, but I have watched other teams and its really true.  Its like there is a plan that gets communicated to the players and the players execute the plan.  Blows my itty bitty little Falcon mind sometimes

Ridley/Lindstrom 

Grady/Jones.

I give the push still to jones over oluokun. The numbers are almost exactly the same , oluokun got 8 more tackles but jones has 1.5 more sacks, 5 more TFL, 2 more PD and a TD.

We are very close to having the best linebackers need to sure up the safety and front 4 and we looking strong.

Edited by AllStarHandyMan

37 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

Crazy for us to imagine, but some teams actually have these guys that are called special team coordinators.

They do all kinds of wacky stuff like review film and find gaps to attack the kick with.  They then attack those gaps while setting up a blocking scheme so a really fast guy can catch the punt and return it. Theres even one team that actually uses their backup quarterback to block punts... and he actually does it !!! I know, you probably think I am crazy, but I have watched other teams and its really true.  Its like there is a plan that gets communicated to the players and the players execute the plan.  Blows my itty bitty little Falcon mind sometimes

Now you're just making stuff up.

MVP: Younghoe Koo
Recency bias seems to have some folks in here selling him short because of that miss last week on a partially blocked FG try. My argument is that this a thread about the best player for the year, not just the last week. With consideration for the entire season, I think it's hard to place anyone above Koo.

The reality is that he has been the biggest & most consistent contributor to the scoreboard this entire year. I'm pretty sure there was a stretch of about 3 weeks where he was singlehandedly (or is it singlefootedly?) outscoring the offense as a whole. He hit 95% of FGs for the year and was a perfect 8 of 8 from beyond 50 yards. He is currently tied for the most FG attempts this season, which makes that level of accuracy that much more impressive.

His two missed FGs came on the aforementioned partially blocked kick & a 48 yard late game attempt vs Chicago in week 3 when he got injured and had to miss the following game.

Consider also that he had a rookie punter holding for him for the first time w/ no preseason games to work out the kinks & a massively reduced amount of offseason opportunities to work together due to COVID-19. That probably goes a long way in explaining why there were a few missed XPs in those first few weeks of the season, but that it seemed to be far less of an issue as things went along. The only other missed XP came vs Carolina when a tropical storm was literally passing through Charlotte as the game was being played & wind gusts were around 70MPH.

Now imagine if he hadn't been so rock solid all year...

So far this year, the Falcons have scored 369 total points (17th in NFL). Koo scored 135 of those points. If you do the math, the offense has been responsible for just 14 points per game, while Koo alone has been worth 9 PPG. Yes, given the nature of their role, kickers are always going to have higher point totals than other positions... but to be producing so high compared to the entire offense is kinda crazy.

Probably safe to say that we don't even get to 4 wins if Koo is not performing at the level he did all year. Seriously, if he had been something like a totally respectable 88% instead of the incredible 95% he showed us, we'd likely be looking at a 2 or 3 win season tops. Sure, that's a pretty sad statement about the team as a whole, but in the end, Koo was arguably the best kicker in the NFL this year, and by my opinion, the best Falcon.

OPOY: Calvin Ridley
Ridley's game was elevated this year, and he was easily the best player of the Falcon's offense. In a year when Julio was less available then he has been in 7 years, Ridley stepped up big time to try to fill the void. While I do feel he's still just a hair shy of being an extra special, totally dominant player, he sure seems headed for it... just needs to clean up some of those drops on critical plays. He also seems so frail, and after dealing with injuries last season, it was a little concerning to see him regularly reaching down for his ankle almost every time he gets tackled low. My nitpicking aside, he's had the kind of season you'd expect from a former 1st rounder, and his route running is possibly the best in the business. Really excited to see him continue to improve in the years ahead.

DPOY: Foyesade Oluokun
Foye has developed into something special. The guy just seems to have a nose for the ball & an ability to make plays. He's still got some stuff to work on, but if he continues on his current path, he'll be one of the best LBs in the NFL in a year or two. Having him paired up with Debo has really eased some of the worries we had about the middle of the D. Looking forward to watching Foye grow as a player, and hope we are able to keep him around for a while.

ROY: AJ Terrell
In my one & only mock this year, I had us taking Terrell. I really like what he brings both physically and mentally. He has what it takes to be a great NFL CB in my opinion, and I'm very happy to see that year one was filled with mostly high notes from his individual performance. He's only gonna get better, and should be an anchor in our secondary for years to come.

12 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Oluokon was the stand-out, with Grady right there with him. Terrell played well as a rookie in a very inconsistent defense and deserves honorable mention along with Neal and Debo.

Could you imagine the season AJ would have turned in if Quinn hadn't stunted his growth?. It's like Morris unleashed that cat.

Foye, Koo, Ridley, and Grady are all deserving. 

One player I've seen step it up big time is Neal. Our terrible record has him flying under the radar. Since Quinn's Dismissal, the entire secondary has played solid. You wouldn't know it on here, because everyone is blinded by what they hate about players.

14 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Matt Ryan. Put up awesome numbers with no running game and a mediocre offensive coordinator.

The Matt Ryan we needed this season didn't need to put up awesome numbers. I'm sick of the notion that we don't have a run game. We have one, we just don't use it. Gurley may not be what he was a couple of years ago, but he could have rush for 1K. Hill, Ito, and Ollison could all combined for over 1K. Dirk gets criticized, and it's well deserved. He's Mike Martz with less success.

19 hours ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

Ridley/Lindstrom 

Grady/Jones.

I give the push still to jones over oluokun. The numbers are almost exactly the same , oluokun got 8 more tackles but jones has 1.5 more sacks, 5 more TFL, 2 more PD and a TD.

We are very close to having the best linebackers need to sure up the safety and front 4 and we looking strong.

Sometimes its about more than numbers. Offensive approach often determines the numbers. Where I look for differentiation is what happens when they are not there. Look at the Dallas game. When Foye was in there, he was totally disruptive to the Dallas offense. As I recall he had a hand in 2 or 3 early turnovers. Once he left the game, Dallas methodically gained composure and they hit their stride on offense. 

Jones is an athletic player. However, he can be removed from factoring in the defense at the point of attack if anyone, even an average blocker, gets a hat on him. He doesn't "stand up" well at the POA. Jones has to win the race to the POA. Foye can win the race, but he's not negated if he happens to get caught up in the surf, so to speak. 

23 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Sometimes its about more than numbers. Offensive approach often determines the numbers. Where I look for differentiation is what happens when they are not there. Look at the Dallas game. When Foye was in there, he was totally disruptive to the Dallas offense. As I recall he had a hand in 2 or 3 early turnovers. Once he left the game, Dallas methodically gained composure and they hit their stride on offense. 

Jones is an athletic player. However, he can be removed from factoring in the defense at the point of attack if anyone, even an average blocker, gets a hat on him. He doesn't "stand up" well at the POA. Jones has to win the race to the POA. Foye can win the race, but he's not negated if he happens to get caught up in the surf, so to speak. 

To me it doesn't matter how you win as long as you get the job done. But I can agree Foye has more ability to take on blocks better the jones. Yet you have to think Jones is a middle linebacker as Foye is a outside. Middle linebacker who covers everyone better then Foye does and blitz better, and gets better tackles for loss all of this is game changing. 

I'm not saying it's a easy give to jones but when you have a bad defense you have to kind of lean on the stats a little extremely more when its the close of a battle. A few games Foye was better with jones right there but other times Jones was ahead with Foye right behind.

The last thing I looked at was how good did Foye replacement play when he went out after the Cowboys game? What it i showed was walkers is pretty dang good to and was able to put some of them same numbers up as Foye.