Atlanta Trades up to the #1 Pick & Selects Trevor Lawrence

Boise Falcon Fan

17 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

My Madden Trade, and I can honestly see it happening. Small chance I know, but if I was GM this is the direction I would probably go. 37 year old MR, and a recently oft injured JJ, it's probably time to move on. 

New Falcon's GM Rick Smith, hires EB, and then promptly shocks the world by pulling off the Falcon's second "Michael Vick" trade. 

RS has looked over the Falcon's roster and determined that it makes more sense to burn it down, and rebuild. He jettison's MR & JJ, adding a 2 late 1sts this year, and a 2nd rounder next year.  

In order to get Lawrence, he sends the Jaguars the #4 pick, & the 2 late firsts. 

Jags = 3,000

Falcons #4 = 1,800

2 late 1sts = 1,200 +

Future will look bright, because Falcons take the cap hits in 2021, and they don't have to give up future draft capital to get TL. Guys like TL don't come along every year. Go get him TD...I mean RS! 

What happens to the defense.

You got to invest in defense at some point.

17 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Luck wasn’t bad. He just couldn’t stay healthy. 

Not saying Luck was bad by any stretch.  The injuries hurt him but he also struggled with accuracy especially prior to Reich taking over.  I just think when a prospect is as hyped as Lawrence has been it will be difficult for him to meet let alone exceed expectations.  Luck was probably to most hyped QB prospect since Manning or Carson Palmer at least.  If Lawrence doesn't win a championship and multiple MVP's in his first 5 years it will be viewed as a disappointment.  

43 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

Not saying Luck was bad by any stretch.  The injuries hurt him but he also struggled with accuracy especially prior to Reich taking over.  I just think when a prospect is as hyped as Lawrence has been it will be difficult for him to meet let alone exceed expectations.  Luck was probably to most hyped QB prospect since Manning or Carson Palmer at least.  If Lawrence doesn't win a championship and multiple MVP's in his first 5 years it will be viewed as a disappointment.  

You have a point. The expectations will be all time high. But perhaps him going to Jacksonville instead of NY will actually help him

18 hours ago, autigerfan said:

I have a feeling Lawrence is going to disappoint.  Look at what happened to Luck as he was similarly hyped.  

Yeah but Luck only problem was injuries. The guy was terrific. The bad OL got him beat up. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Luck back next year or the year after. 
Guys we’re not talking Ryan Leaf here....Lawernce if healthy with good coaching will be special. I don’t understand why some folks thinks he’ll bust. Is it possible- yes- but highly unlikely. 

22 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

My Madden Trade, and I can honestly see it happening. Small chance I know, but if I was GM this is the direction I would probably go. 37 year old MR, and a recently oft injured JJ, it's probably time to move on. 

New Falcon's GM Rick Smith, hires EB, and then promptly shocks the world by pulling off the Falcon's second "Michael Vick" trade. 

RS has looked over the Falcon's roster and determined that it makes more sense to burn it down, and rebuild. He jettison's MR & JJ, adding a 2 late 1sts this year, and a 2nd rounder next year.  

In order to get Lawrence, he sends the Jaguars the #4 pick, & the 2 late firsts. 

Jags = 3,000

Falcons #4 = 1,800

2 late 1sts = 1,200 +

Future will look bright, because Falcons take the cap hits in 2021, and they don't have to give up future draft capital to get TL. Guys like TL don't come along every year. Go get him TD...I mean RS! 

You lost me at Rick Smith. No idea why yall are so in love with this man who has proven NOTHING in his time with the Texans. But if it were Rick Smith he'd screw this draft up royally.

22 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

It would probably take:

2021 1st, 2nd, 3rd 

2022 1st, 2nd, 3rd

2023 1st, 2nd, 3rd

To get the Jags interested. Lawrence is as close to perfect for a QB prospect as you will get. Jags are not passing that up unless it's for something insane.

So you think from 3 to 1 takes all that... LMFAO!!!!

I was just trying to have a little fun, but those that say it will, or won't happen, it COULD happen. A trade up to #1 has happened before. Also, people keep saying, "mortgaging your future". How are you mortgaging your future if you are trading away MR & JJ for picks to use in the proposed trade? You are really taking a step back for a year, maybe 2. 

In a lot of ways, I'd like to keep MR & JJ and make a good run at a SB, but a SB run with those 2 aging studs is just about as likely as my trade proposal. Those guys are at the twilight of their careers, and it is probably time to move on. If you are going to move on, and make a rebuild, why not shoot for the moon?

2 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I was just trying to have a little fun, but those that say it will, or won't happen, it COULD happen. A trade up to #1 has happened before. Also, people keep saying, "mortgaging your future". How are you mortgaging your future if you are trading away MR & JJ for picks to use in the proposed trade? You are really taking a step back for a year, maybe 2. 

In a lot of ways, I'd like to keep MR & JJ and make a good run at a SB, but a SB run with those 2 aging studs is just about as likely as my trade proposal. Those guys are at the twilight of their careers, and it is probably time to move on. If you are going to move on, and make a rebuild, why not shoot for the moon?

Not against trading julio and mr2 but am against trading future 1sts because it'll take more to pry TL from jax

I don't think Jacksonville even considers making a trade. And here's why

Drafting Lawrence is literally risk free. Even if he's a bust. Everyone will understand why you drafted him at the time. If you trade Lawrence, you have to ensure that the trade works out in your favor and it very well may not. What if Lawrence goes to another team and does exactly what he's expected to do and is a great NFL QB. You are hosed if you are Jacksonville.

I think the Jags draft Lawrence with zero hesitation. 

7 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I actually get what you're saying. And do believe if the opportunity is there, the Falcons taking it would likely benefit in their favor. The Rams and Eagles both benefited from Goff and Wentz. As did the Texans and Chiefs for Mahomes and Watson. 

Where I disagree with you is that you're saying it COULD happen. And I don't think so. I don't think anyone can offer Jacksonville anything remotely possible that would make them think it's a good idea outside of the Chiefs offering Mahomes

If we do our homework right, we are in a very good position to draft a QB if we love one. We must however be willing to trade up to 2 0r 3 because 49ers or Philly might beat us to our guy.  

After Lawrence, there is no any other sure top 5 pick and thus Miami and Jets might want to trade down

2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Drafting Lawrence is literally risk free. Even if he's a bust. Everyone will understand why you drafted him at the time. If you trade Lawrence, you have to ensure that the trade works out in your favor and it very well may not. What if Lawrence goes to another team and does exactly what he's expected to do and is a great NFL QB. You are hosed if you are Jacksonville.

Agree. I remember hearing an ex GM say, a GM is more at risk for getting fired if he passes on a QB that becomes great than he is for drafting a QB that busts.

23 minutes ago, falcon app said:

If we do our homework right, we are in a very good position to draft a QB if we love one. We must however be willing to trade up to 2 0r 3 because 49ers or Philly might beat us to our guy.  

After Lawrence, there is no any other sure top 5 pick and thus Miami and Jets might want to trade down

SF doesn’t have nearly as attractive of trade capital picking like 12 spots behind us. And I don’t see PHI going for another QB after taking Hurts in the 2nd and having Wentz under contract. PHI is sitting in a great spot to address a huge need at WR, though if they pick 6-7 they may very well miss out on Chase.

you make a good point though that going to 2 is the only way to guarantee getting our guy. I don’t think this team is desperate enough at QB to make that move though it’s not my call to make.

I could see the Jets in the market to trade down, if they don’t see any of these QBs as an upgrade to Darnold, and they just took a LT (M Becton) high in last years draft who made the pro bowl as a rookie.

2 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Yeah but Luck only problem was injuries. The guy was terrific. The bad OL got him beat up. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Luck back next year or the year after. 
Guys we’re not talking Ryan Leaf here....Lawernce if healthy with good coaching will be special. I don’t understand why some folks thinks he’ll bust. Is it possible- yes- but highly unlikely. 

He can bust because of the situation and team he’s going to.Jets possibly in NY under the spotlight on and off the field it’s not out of the question.

Jags a graveyard for good players.

I mean Joe Burrow at the Bengals not a good start injury wise and the Bengals another graveyard.

Bottom line here is these teams Lawrence is going to go to hardly inspire confidence for a supposedly generational type talent to have a long great career.

I’d give Lawrence about a 30% chance of having a long successful career at the mentioned franchises.

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

Agree. I remember hearing an ex GM say, a GM is more at risk for getting fired if he passes on a QB that becomes great than he is for drafting a QB that busts.

Yep. And Lawrence brings instant profit to the franchise. He will sell tickets. He will sell jerseys and merchandise. It’s literally a no brainer for Jacksonville 

On 12/29/2020 at 5:04 PM, Bobby.Digital said:

Lawrence is as close to a perfectly  hyped QB prospect as you will get. Jags are not passing that up unless it's for something insane.

Fixed.

Don't get me wrong, I like TL as a prospect also. But I wouldn't fall for ANY draft prospect. It's all hype till you actually see what they do in the NFL. Sometimes they aren't: a good fit, as talented, or simply injured a lot. You never know.

At the end of the day it's a team sport, and you are only as good as your weakest link anyway.

Edited by Intellectually Honest

4 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3602502

5 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Can't miss prospects miss all the time. The odds of getting a franchise QB in the top 10 are better than the rest of the draft, but not by a whole lot.

David Carr got sacked 70 times as a rookie, Mayfield got sacked 48 times as a rookie. Bad teams can kill a QBs career in many different ways.