Jump to content

Micah Parsons pass rush


OrthoPTSD
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ive watched his highlight tapes a couple of times and yes very active, I'd love the guy at LINE BACKER, but I question him being the best  Pass Rusher simply because all I see is him shooting gaps for his sacks. No hand fighting, spins, dips/ bend around OTs, not even one move? Shooting gaps, heck Deion is doing just fine in that regard.

Also will point out in his tape, I see no arriving to ball carrier with violence. 

Just seems strange that he could perform at a pick 3-5 level with pass rush. He would make defense better (if move to 3-4 whole other topic) no doubt. Just question him being best pass rusher.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's his entire tape. You will struggle to find him beating an OT off the edge 1 on 1 with a pass rush move. He screams through gaps and off the edges untouched the way we use Deion and Foye in blitzes but when presented with needing to beat a blocker he struggles with anything beyond trying to bull rush them.

His coverage is also subpar so simply playing him at MLB is also questionable. 

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

That's his entire tape. You will struggle to find him beating an OT off the edge 1 on 1 with a pass rush move. He screams through gaps and off the edges untouched the way we use Deion and Foye in blitzes but when presented with needing to beat a blocker he struggles with anything beyond trying to bull rush them.

His coverage is also subpar so simply playing him at MLB is also questionable. 

Therefore, any college comp to Khalil Mack and Von Miller are simply idiotic. 

I get the impression that people in here think that's what they're getting... when it isn't. He's not going to be able to effect things on the field like those two. Another reason to pass on him and focus on QB... 

Edited by joeyg2033
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The mack comparison is actually valid. Mack played a lot of off ball like parsons did. 

 

 

Mack had a solid skill set of pass rush moves entering the draft. Parsons has none. You don't draft a guy to be a pass rusher in the top 5 if he can't even beat someone in ways other than a bull or speed rush. If you want to say he can be a MLB that can change the game that is a different topic of discussion. He would need to work heavily on his coverage ability but at that point, why would we want him when we already have 2 good young capable off-ball LBs + another rookie proving he can play as well?

Theirs a reason Greg Rousseau has fallen from top 5 pick to middle of the 1st and possible even end of the 1st projections. He has the same problem. He had a chance to work on his moves this year and solidify a top 5 pick but he opted out. Same goes for Parsons but for whatever reason people have continued to hype him up as if he's some can't miss LB prospect.

Not saying Both can't be great NFL players but I don't see the appeal in either of them right now. Parsons around 10-15 would probably be a great pick but 4...Meh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The mack comparison is actually valid. Mack played a lot of off ball like parsons did. 

 

 

Mack was a much better pass rusher coming out. He showed consistent ability to beat tackles and had pass rushing moves. 

Parsons does or has neither. He's strictly at this point someone who gets to the QB by blitzing. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

That's his entire tape. You will struggle to find him beating an OT off the edge 1 on 1 with a pass rush move. He screams through gaps and off the edges untouched the way we use Deion and Foye in blitzes but when presented with needing to beat a blocker he struggles with anything beyond trying to bull rush them.

His coverage is also subpar so simply playing him at MLB is also questionable. 

That doesnt sound great

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Patrick Willis was good in coverage though and made Ints. I don't know much about Parsons, but apparently pass coverage isn't something hes great at.

This is a fact, but with Debo and Foye, I wouldn't worry about him being perfect. Especially if FS is addressed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Knight of God said:

This is a fact, but with Debo and Foye, I wouldn't worry about him being perfect. Especially if FS is addressed 

But what would he be? SLB on base and DE in passing situations? Is he that good to take that high especially if hes a situationaly player? I trust your opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I liken him more to Patrick Willis

Parsons is not an edge rusher.  He has very high blitz potential.  

If he can become that he would be worth a top 5 pick for sure. I'm terrified of his coverage at the next level though if he remains as a MLB.

Ask any Bucs fan how they feel about Devin White and they likely are disappointed. He gets picked on in coverage constantly but is great blitzing through gaps and is respectable against the run. Good motor, aggressive. He checks all the boxes. His athleticism sideline to sideline is amazing... but when QBs are throwing it over your head constantly or he's getting lost in his zone responsibility...That gets old quick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Patrick Willis was good in coverage though and made Ints. I don't know much about Parsons, but apparently pass coverage isn't something hes great at.

He had 5 PDs last year.  From a LB position that’s okay with me.  In comparison, Zaven Collins is probably a first round LB this year who by all means excels in coverage.  He has 4ints and 2 PDs this year after having no ints and 2 PDs last year.  I think it’s more of a case of Parsons turning those PDs into INTs than him “not being good in coverage”
 

From what I’ve seen Parsons is usually in good position.  It’s not like he’s lost in coverage, and he has natural football instincts as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

But what would he be? SLB on base and DE in passing situations? Is he that good to take that high especially if hes a situationaly player? I trust your opinion. 

That's just it man. I think he could play any of the above which is what has to happen in today's football. Move him around like Von Miller. I hear hes another 4.5 guy. Realistically, I like him best of any player we could get at 4, but I'm on the trade down train this year. If you can sit through it, watch one of his games. I forced my way through a few and he was good. Just try to wat h without comparing to any past player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, KRUNKuno said:

He had 5 PDs last year.  From a LB position that’s okay with me.  In comparison, Zaven Collins is probably a first round LB this year who by all means excels in coverage.  He has 4ints and 2 PDs this year after having no ints and 2 PDs last year.  I think it’s more of a case of Parsons turning those PDs into INTs than him “not being good in coverage”
 

From what I’ve seen Parsons is usually in good position.  It’s not like he’s lost in coverage, and he has natural football instincts as well.

99 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 6FF this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

If he can become that he would be worth a top 5 pick for sure. I'm terrified of his coverage at the next level though if he remains as a MLB.

Ask any Bucs fan how they feel about Devin White and they likely are disappointed. He gets picked on in coverage constantly but is great blitzing through gaps and is respectable against the run. Good motor, aggressive. He checks all the boxes. His athleticism sideline to sideline is amazing... but when QBs are throwing it over your head constantly or he's getting lost in his zone responsibility...That gets old quick. 

I’m willing to bet you haven’t really watched him play, and are just pointing out things based on what draft sites are saying. 

also, every scout is calling Parsons a generational talent.  Nobody ever said that about Devin White.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I’m willing to bet you haven’t really watched him play, and are just pointing out things based on what draft sites are saying. 

also, every scout is calling Parsons a generational talent.  Nobody ever said that about Devin White.
 

Ahh the old "you use draft sites" argument on a football message board. You don't know what I or anyone else has or has not watched so don't pretend you do.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...