CBS sports - breaking down draft scenarios for drafts top 5 teams (Falcons)

1989Fan

12 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I’m with your brother. I don’t want a qb in this draft because it’s not quite time to draft Matt’s replacement because we’re not a qb needy team yet. I think Matt still has 3 good seasons for sure in him. We need that STUD DE to help Grady. We need a stud RB and a FS. Maybe we can catch the stud FS in FA but def draft a RB. I don’t wanna waste a pick on something I don’t think we need yet. I with BPA. But BPA to what WE need. Not what the board says. If it’s a QB there trade back but def go stud DE. 

Ah yes, rational common sense returns. Good to see you back, bro.

Can you imagine this offense with a legit RB (Etienne/Harris/J Williams) and an OC who understands having a balanced attack?

Can you imagine this defense....which has played well under Ulbrich...with a legit pass rush coming off the edge? And a secondary with a FS physically able to protect the corners?

14 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

The saints are still SB contenders. The chiefs were still building. It made sense for them to draft Mahommes. The Broncos didn’t let elway go. They just finally got him a RB and a coach like Shanahan and they won 2 sb’s back to back. We’re a team that needs similar things. A dope coach and a running back and a stud DE. We can draft Matt’s replacement in another year or 2. This team is just a good coach and OC from a turnaround. 

How were the Chiefs still building and we aren't? They were actually a playoff team making that move, we're about to draft 3/4th overall. 

The Saints while are still superbowl contenders would be the easy favorites in the NFC with Lamar + 25 mil to spend elsewhere. If they could go back in time they'd take Lamar over Davenport no questions asked. 

We aren't just a coaching staff and player or two away from being a superbowl contender imo. 

12 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

The trade back. And how do we know there are no studs? Every YEAR ppl say that and yet some team does their homework and finds a guy that ends up being the steal of the draft. I didn’t know sh*t about Khalil Mack until the combine cause Buffalo doesn’t get national attention. So bro I just can’t go with there’s NOTHING at DE. There still be something. Guaranteed!! 

Khalil Mack might not have had much national hype but he was hyped with in draft circles long before the combine. 

Anyways I never said there's won't be a stud DE in this class, just that there's no obvious prospect who leads you that way. Sure you could hope to find the "steal of the draft" but how often doesn't that happen?

If there was an obvious choice at DE I think everyone would be on board with the pick. There isn't. 

As for trading back sure you could do that. But it takes a team willing to move up. But to pass up on franchise QB if you think one is there for a 36 year old QB is nuts imo.

Edited by Bobby.Digital

On 12/28/2020 at 8:45 PM, theDIRTYcode said:

If THE QB is there, you take him. If not, trade it for all you can get. Just remember, last time we where here, Matt Ryan changed this franchise. I think it's time to do it again. And I love MR2.....but I love the logo more.

What QB? Any "Top 5" expert evaluated QB or the QB you actually want? Those are very different things. What QB can you take with the 3rd pick that will promise success in 3 years? 

I think those that favor turning that one pick into 2 or 3 picks have a strong case. 3 years down the road, or even 2 years down the road, it is toing to take more than one QB prospect to string together wins. This is a marginal roster with weaknesses (weakness = at least one starter who is not average NFL quality) in every position group with the possible exception of QB and WR. TE comes down to health. 

The draft is speculative from top to bottom. In 95% + of situations I believe quantity of picks is more important than timing of picks. More chances > earlier picks. I know some will choose to argue the "points" assigned by experts and such. It is all hooey. The built in assumption is that you hit on your guy. Recent history for other teams picking QBs early in the draft has left me unconvinced. 

27 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

What if the Colts "panicked' and drafted Mahomes, J Allen, Watson, Lamar? 

They would be actually be a serious superbowl contender.

The Saints had an amazing opportunity to draft Lamar Jackson and instead passed on him for Marcus Davenport. The Saints with Lamar would be in a wayyyyy better position to win a superbowl this year and the next 15. Don't forget the extra 25+ mil they'd have to spend on other positions with a QB on his rookie contract.

The Chiefs recognized that Alex Smith, who lead them to multiple playoff appearances, was good but not elite and made a ballsy move to move up and draft a "raw QB" who they felt could be a franchise guy. They even let that guy sit for a year and now look at them.

If you feel there's a franchise guy at your pick and your QB is 36 you always take that guy imo. Ryan is good but it's not like he's some elite QB. There's a good chance that QB you draft could be better than him in year 2 while costing a fraction of the price.

Good to hear from you, Bobby D.

Where you and I apparently disagree is where Ryan is...(way better than Alex Smith ever was) and where the 3 projects (my view) are. I believe the issue of this team has been coaching, not QB play. 

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Can you imagine this offense with a legit RB (Etienne/Harris/J Williams) and an OC who understands having a balanced attack?

Can you imagine this defense....which has played well under Ulbrich...with a legit pass rush coming off the edge? And a secondary with a FS physically able to protect the corners?

Etienne is who I want at RB 1st if possible. I think he may go in the 1st tho. That’s exactly my thoughts. We’re not a qb problematic team yet. We’re  good coaching and game changing defenders away. 

17 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Good to hear from you, Bobby D.

Where you and I apparently disagree is where Ryan is...(way better than Alex Smith ever was) and where the 3 projects (my view) are. I believe the issue of this team has been coaching, not QB play. 

I mean, to take your analogy further, if you truly believe one of fields/Wilson/Lance are all of that, just about every team in league with good QBs.....should trade away the farm and move up for one of them, as bears did for trubisky, 

What up Vandy! Nice to be back. 

I actually agree with you, Ryan is way better than Alex Smith ever was and a big source of our problems is coaching. 

Keep in mind I've been defending Matt on this board for a long time. Ive never questioned his talent. So this isn't coming from someone who hated him, think he's done or washed. 

I think on the right team, like the Colts for example, he could be playing extremely well. 

Me wanting to draft a QB is based on the new staff feeling a franchise guy is there. I don't think you should pass on one, especially when your team isn't close to being a superbowl contender, and your current QB will be 36 years old. It's not inconceivable that he QB you draft could surpass Ryan quickly.

Sure that QB could also bust but same with any other player we draft. Nothing is a for sure thing in the draft. 

QBs are the most valuable position in all of football and it isn't close. If you have a chance to secure the position  for 15+ years you take it.

Lastly I might feel different if there was a Chase Young level talent in this draft but there just isn't. It just a bad year for us to be drafting where we are. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

16 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

What up Vandy! Nice to be back. 

I actually agree with you, Ryan is way better than Alex Smith ever was and a big source of our problems is coaching. 

Keep in mind I've been defending Matt on this board for a long time. Ive never questioned his talent. So this isn't coming from someone who hated him, think he's done or washed. 

I think on the right team, like the Colts for examples, he could be playing extremely well. 

Me wanting to draft a QB is based on the new staff feeling a franchise guy is there. I don't think you should pass on one, especially when your team isn't close to being a superbowl contender, and your current QB will be 36 years old. It's not inconceivable that he QB you draft could surpass Ryan quickly.

Sure that QB could also bust but same with any other player we draft. Nothing is a for sure thing in the draft. 

QBs are the most valuable position in all of football and it isn't close. If you have a chance to secure the position  for 15+ years you take it. 

I hear you, my friend. Respectfully disagree, believing it’s a couple years too soon plus TBH I’m just not a big believer in those 3 QBs...but that will be up to new regime.

I (the perennial glass half full guy) still thinks a healthy Julio, a stud RB, an impact defensive playmaker ala parsons, and most importantly a decent HC/OC (ala Arthur Smith) we still have one more run in this group. But as you know, I’ve been wrong before on these things.

Its gonna be an interesting offseason for sure. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Just now, Vandy said:

I hear you, my friend. Respectfully disagree in believing it’s a couple years too soon plus TBH I’m just not a big believer in those 3 QBs...but that will be up to new regime.

I (the perineal glass half full guy) still thinks a healthy Julio, a stud RB, an impact defensive playmaker ala parsons, and most importantly a decent HC/OC (Arthur Smith) we still have one more run in this group. But as you know, I’ve been wrong many times before on these things.

Its gonna be an interesting offseason for sure. Hope all is well with you and yours.

I feel you bro! We both want what's best for this team at the end of the day.

Super excited for this offseason, I'll be around here a little more in the new year. 

Wishing you and your fam the best in the new year! 

17 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

4. Atlanta Falcons

• Trade back 
  • Draft best player available 
  • Draft top EDGE prospect
  • Draft Micah Parsons

the link below has the full article.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-draft-order-breaking-down-different-scenarios-for-teams-with-the-top-5-picks/

This is...correct.

That NEVER happens with NFL Draft analysis.

I wanted a trade down last year, i want a trade down this year. The number of picks you can get from trading down may give you enough pieces to reopen the superbowl window for these crazy contracts to really pay off. Our defense has flashed at times. Our defensive backs are young and improving. We have a few lbs that are showing some promise next to deion. We can stack defense early in the draft, and grab value offense picks late. Our line (aside from mack) is young. Mathews is still solid as well. We have a wealth of receivers already. I wouldnt be opposed to najee if he landed where he was logical in the draft for us. 

4 hours ago, Fernando C. said:

He is a lock to go number 1... we are going to pick 4th overall ... so who are your top 5 players... you say BPA so who do you got..

Bro. We could be anywhere between four and ten come Monday morning. How bout we wait til then? No matter what happens, I'm stickin to my draft program. BPA even if it's a QB. No matter what position. Every year. Every round. Go BPA. Trade down before trading up. That's it for me bro. Any questions?

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro. We could be anywhere between four and ten come Monday morning. How bout we wait til then? No matter what happens, I'm stickin to my draft program. BPA even if it's a QB. No matter what position. Every year. Every round. Go BPA. Trade down before trading up. That's it for me bro. Any questions?

4 to 11 to be correct...  so if WR is the BPA draft him???

On 12/28/2020 at 9:02 PM, red falcon said:

We have to man. Been looking for a legit pass rusher for a long time. You cannot pass him up.

I wasn't aware the Parsons was considered a Pass Rusher. Thought he was viewed as more of a WLB or MLB. Coverage and tackling...🤔

On 12/30/2020 at 6:42 AM, Vandy said:

The more and more I see your guy from Nth Carolina play the more and more I like him.