Scientific Formula for determining best GM for Falcons. Steelers Brandon Hunt comes out on top as GM for Falcons.

Can Falcons pass the football? Yes

Can Falcons run the football? No

Can Falcons stop the run? Yes

Can Falcons stop the pass? No

Can the Falcons produce sacks consistently? No. 

Where does Falcons GM need to be the strongest? In building offensive and defensive line and evaluating RBs. 

Which current teams year in and year out run the football the best? According to NFL Stats the Ravens, Titans, Vikings, Seahawks, Patriots, Bills, Saints, Steelers

Which current teams have the most sacks year in and year out? Pittsburg has lead the league in TEAM sacks 5 years running. Followed by Rams, Carolina, and Minnesota.  

Ravens, Titans, Vikings, Seahawks, Patriots, Bills, Saints,  Rams, Carolina, Pittsburg.  So one of these 10 teams are going to give me my best GM candidate for FALCONS franchise based on where we struggle. 

Who is available from these 10 teams? 

Lake Dawson from Buffalo

Scott Fitterer from Seattle

Terry Fontenot from Saints

Joe Hortiz from Ravens (been with Ravens since 1999 and worked under Newsome)

Brandon Hunt from Steelers (Been with Steeler for a decade)

George Paton from Vikings

Of these 6 GMs which team checks the boxes for being able to consistently run the football and get sacks? Saints, Seattle, Ravens, Vikings, Pittsburg

Of the Saints, Seattle, Ravens, Vikings, Steelers which Teams has the most success in play-offs last ten years? Pittsburg #2, Seattle #4, New Orleans #5, Ravens #6 in playoff appearances since 2010?

If the Falcons goal is to build a team that runs the football, gets sacks, and wins play-off games here is who they should pick as GM from top to bottom: 

1. Brandon Hunt from Pittsburg Steelers

2. Scott Fitterer from Seattle

3. Terry Fontenot from New Orleans

4. Joe Horitz from Ravens

25 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

Might work, who knows!  I wish you had told us what jobs these guys hold now, with their respective teams...

Jim, see link below for all available GMs, their experience and titles. Hunt is the man for us. Final answer. Blank should pony up and get us a winner at GM.  

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-gm-candidates-watch-2021/

I shy away from a formulaic approach because there is more than one way to win. My personality is to not assume that the path traveled determines success or failure. If you were a triathlete who was also a world class swimmer, would you spend all your time working on biking if the stats showed that 40 of the past 45 winners had the lowest ET in the biking section?  Alternatively, could it be that more triathletes have a background in biking? 

My point? All of the names you mentioned are quality names. The approach to football you propose is sound. That said, I wouldn't disqualify those who don't fall into that approach.

One recent example: The top 4 in the NFL last year were KC, SF, GBP, and TEN. TEN is on both list, but they are also the only team of the four on either list. 

I think Hunt has interviewed for GM positions before but comes form more of a scouting background. So he would need help managing cap and from what I hear McKay is pretty good at that so it could be a good fit for us all around. Hunt has longevity at Pittsburg so does Hortiz at Baltimore. That means they dont suck at their job.  When hiring a GM you want to see longevity at one franchise. 

4 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

I think Hunt has interviewed for GM positions before but comes form more of a scouting background. So he would need help managing cap and from what I hear McKay is pretty good at that so it could be a good fit for us all around. Hunt has longevity at Pittsburg so does Hortiz at Baltimore. That means they dont suck at their job.  When hiring a GM you want to see longevity at one franchise. 

This was TDs biggest downfall.  In all honesty, most teams need a "Cap Czar" to manage the intricacies of the cap.  TD needed to say no a few more times, and stand up a bit more. 

5 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I shy away from a formulaic approach because there is more than one way to win. My personality is to not assume that the path traveled determines success or failure. If you were a triathlete who was also a world class swimmer, would you spend all your time working on biking if the stats showed that 40 of the past 45 winners had the lowest ET in the biking section?  Alternatively, could it be that more triathletes have a background in biking? 

My point? All of the names you mentioned are quality names. The approach to football you propose is sound. That said, I wouldn't disqualify those who don't fall into that approach.

One recent example: The top 4 in the NFL last year were KC, SF, GBP, and TEN. TEN is on both list, but they are also the only team of the four on either list. 

I disqualified Tenn, because while I do like Derrick Henry and pounding the rock I also have to look at the style of football being played in NCAA and NFL today, the kind of athletes coming up. Am I going to build a archaic offense that pigeon holes me should my team fall behind? Or do I want to have the flexibility to do both? Even Alabama at the NCAA level that for years won championships running the football and playing stout defense is now a spread you out and throw for 350+ yards a game type offense but can also draw in the horses and pound you with Najee Harris if need be. I would like to see Brandon Hunt be our GM, McKay help him with the cap and Sark as our coach calling plays. Play next year with Ryan while we groom a young mobile QB we get either late in the draft or in next years draft. I want a offense that is flexible depending on where I am in the game. And I want to make sure I have the pieces at the positions that make Falcons offense flexible.  

Just now, Herr Doktor said:

This was TDs biggest downfall.  In all honesty, most teams need a "Cap Czar" to manage the intricacies of the cap.  TD needed to say no a few more times, and stand up a bit more. 

I think TDs biggest downfall was he couldnt evaluate linemen. With any of the four GMs I mentioned that wont be a problem. 

13 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

I disqualified Tenn, because while I do like Derrick Henry and pounding the rock I also have to look at the style of football being played in NCAA and NFL today, the kind of athletes coming up. Am I going to build a archaic offense that pigeon holes me should my team fall behind? Or do I want to have the flexibility to do both? Even Alabama at the NCAA level that for years won championships running the football and playing stout defense is now a spread you out and throw for 350+ yards a game type offense but can also draw in the horses and pound you with Najee Harris if need be. I would like to see Brandon Hunt be our GM, McKay help him with the cap and Sark as our coach calling plays. Play next year with Ryan while we groom a young mobile QB we get either late in the draft or in next years draft. I want a offense that is flexible depending on where I am in the game. And I want to make sure I have the pieces at the positions that make Falcons offense flexible.  

Absolutely. However, my primary point was that 3 of the 4 finalist last season did it a different way than the teams in the two lists in the OP. 

13 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

It will be interesting to see how quickly the Falcons Brain Trust hires a new GM.  

12 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

It will be interesting to see how quickly the Falcons Brain Trust hires a new GM.  

Hopefully sooner rather than later, so we can get a coach in place with a new vision. If we take Sark the transition would be smooth since he has been here before. Hunt + Sark would be solid for Falcons franchise. Also like Bieniemy from KC as well. Either one would throw up some points. If we go Bieniemy we will go mobile QB, which I think is vital in today's NFL. Mobile QB, Big fast TE that can block and serve as another WR esstential. 

Edited by Refried Beans
15 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

I think TDs biggest downfall was he couldnt evaluate linemen. With any of the four GMs I mentioned that wont be a problem. 

I think TDs biggest issue was being married to coaches who couldn’t get the job done.The team building aspect we’ve had chances to win the chip but just didn’t finish the job on the field.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think TDs biggest issue was being married to coaches who couldn’t get the job done.The team building aspect we’ve had chances to win the chip but just didn’t finish the job on the field.

I think Quinn was clearly in over his head. He knew what he wanted to run on defense but didnt know HOW to put the players in place to run it. It was clear Quinn was not involved in getting the pieces in Seattle.  This is why I want a GM heavy on the Scout side that has LONGEVITY. Also need to look at GMs background. TD was a D back and came from d back scouting side of the house, Hunt and the 4 GMs I mention have success hitting on linemen. This is where we fail. Rick Smith at Houston had same problem, he could hit on position players but not on o-linement. Hunt gives you both. You put Hunt with Sark and Falcons would be solid. Sark is a very good coach. Someone will take a chance on him and he will be lights out. Would be just as happy with Bieniemy but Bieniemy will be first coach taken and will cost $$$. I'd rather pay Hunt the beans to pry him away from Pittsburg and get Sark. 

4 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

I think Quinn was clearly in over his head. He knew what he wanted to run on defense but didnt know HOW to put the players in place to run it. It was clear Quinn was not involved in getting the pieces in Seattle.  This is why I want a GM heavy on the Scout side that has LONGEVITY. Also need to look at GMs background. TD was a D back and came from d back scouting side of the house, Hunt and the 4 GMs I mention have success hitting on linemen. This is where we fail. Rick Smith at Houston had same problem, he could hit on position players but not on o-linement. Hunt gives you both. You put Hunt with Sark and Falcons would be solid. Sark is a very good coach. Someone will take a chance on him and he will be lights out. Would be just as happy with Bieniemy but Bieniemy will be first coach taken and will cost $$$. I'd rather pay Hunt the beans to pry him away from Pittsburg and get Sark. 

Shanahan is what kept quinn around so long. That offense covered up a lot his deficiencies. I really feel if morris was the HC we would have won. I know, derailed.

Just now, red falcon said:

Shanahan is what kept quinn around so long. That offense covered up a lot his deficiencies. I really feel if morris was the HC we would have won. I know, derailed.

I agree. Without Shanahan Quinn would have been gone after three years. We cant miss this time. That's why I say go with Sark, we know what we are getting and his offense lead us to our last play-off appearance. Hunt is a proven GM with longevity not a maybe like TD was and not a retread like Rick Smith. 

19 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Can Falcons pass the football? Yes

Can Falcons run the football? No

Can Falcons stop the run? Yes

Can Falcons stop the pass? No

Can the Falcons produce sacks consistently? No. 

Where does Falcons GM need to be the strongest? In building offensive and defensive line and evaluating RBs. 

Which current teams year in and year out run the football the best? According to NFL Stats the Ravens, Titans, Vikings, Seahawks, Patriots, Bills, Saints, Steelers

Which current teams have the most sacks year in and year out? Pittsburg has lead the league in TEAM sacks 5 years running. Followed by Rams, Carolina, and Minnesota.  

Ravens, Titans, Vikings, Seahawks, Patriots, Bills, Saints,  Rams, Carolina, Pittsburg.  So one of these 10 teams are going to give me my best GM candidate for FALCONS franchise based on where we struggle. 

Who is available from these 10 teams? 

Lake Dawson from Buffalo

Scott Fitterer from Seattle

Terry Fontenot from Saints

Joe Hortiz from Ravens (been with Ravens since 1999 and worked under Newsome)

Brandon Hunt from Steelers (Been with Steeler for a decade)

George Paton from Vikings

Of these 6 GMs which team checks the boxes for being able to consistently run the football and get sacks? Saints, Seattle, Ravens, Vikings, Pittsburg

Of the Saints, Seattle, Ravens, Vikings, Steelers which Teams has the most success in play-offs last ten years? Pittsburg #2, Seattle #4, New Orleans #5, Ravens #6 in playoff appearances since 2010?

If the Falcons goal is to build a team that runs the football, gets sacks, and wins play-off games here is who they should pick as GM from top to bottom: 

1. Brandon Hunt from Pittsburg Steelers

2. Scott Fitterer from Seattle

3. Terry Fontenot from New Orleans

4. Joe Horitz from Ravens

Pretty good analysis but I think identifying scouting talent by overall team success is flawed in the same way as hiring a head coach that coordinated a Super Bowl team.  If I were in charge, I would turn over every stone to identify the best candidate with a vision for returning this team to contending for a Lombardi.  I don't want to win an offseason, I want to win a championship while I can still enjoy it. 

Just now, autigerfan said:

Pretty good analysis but I think identifying scouting talent by overall team success is flawed in the same way as hiring a head coach that coordinated a Super Bowl team.  If I were in charge, I would turn over every stone to identify the best candidate with a vision for returning this team to contending for a Lombardi.  I don't want to win an offseason, I want to win a championship while I can still enjoy it. 

Steelers are the pinnacle of NFL franchises. Hunt has been there 10 years and is next in line for GM, this is a no brainer. Hunt is the man. Hortiz from Baltimore as well, the man learned his craft working under the best in Baltimore Ozzie Newsome. We need one of these two dudes. Period. They clearly know what they are doing. Steelers lead the NFL in TEAM sack 5 years running so Hunt can clearlyt draft linemen. No more Takk, Vic Beasley whiffs. 

5 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

I agree. Without Shanahan Quinn would have been gone after three years. We cant miss this time. That's why I say go with Sark, we know what we are getting and his offense lead us to our last play-off appearance. Hunt is a proven GM with longevity not a maybe like TD was and not a retread like Rick Smith. 

Why would Sark come back here after getting scapegoated?  He is also likely getting HC calls for college jobs.