A positive from our latest loss

Pa_Falcon_Fan

This team showed our next head coach, whoever he may be, that there is enough talent here to be ready and able to compete with the best of the best. So, if they take the job, a burn it to the ground and rebuild approach isn't necessary and they can expect, with better coachin, to be competitive right away.   Throw in having high picks in every round of the draft to work with and plug holes and I think it makes us even more attractive to top candidates at both GM and head coach.  Let's just hope the FO makes the right choices on who to hire. 

I think anyone who actually understands the nfl knows that there is enough talent here.

The difference between 11-4 and 4-11 is much much smaller than people understand.

I mean we lost 5 games that we should have won...not could have...or maybe if something goes different....strait up should have won.

Any coach worth his salt should look at the body of work and see that with a few tweaks here and a few tweaks there this is a playoff team.

8 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I think anyone who actually understands the nfl knows that there is enough talent here.

The difference between 11-4 and 4-11 is much much smaller than people understand.

I mean we lost 5 games that we should have won...not could have...or maybe if something goes different....strait up should have won.

Any coach worth his salt should look at the body of work and see that with a few tweaks here and a few tweaks there this is a playoff team.

Exactly.  And with high picks in the draft to add additional talent to a roster that already has plenty... and a lot of untapped potential from guys Quinn just couldn't figure out how to develop or use.. that, as long as the new coaching staff is good, we should be able to turn things around pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The only potential downsides to this job are ownership (which Rich McKay thinks is a plus, but I think he's legally required to think that) and cap room.  The second of those can be managed.

I try to take comfort in Bill Polian also thinking Blank and McKay are major perks to the Falcons opening...we shall see!

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

The only potential downsides to this job are ownership (which Rich McKay thinks is a plus, but I think he's legally required to think that) and cap room.  The second of those can be managed.

I really don't get the negativity toward Blank.   I swear a lot of you really forget how bad things were BEFORE Blank owned the team.  We've gotten spoiled.  I would bet if you asked NFL players and executives their opinion of Blank, you'd get overwhelmingly positive response.  He isn't perfect, he has made mistakes in the name of loyalty and continuity, but the man legitimately wants this to be a winning franchise and is willing to do whatever he has to in order to make it happen. 

54 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I really don't think the league, players or coaches see Blank as a negative at all. That is solely a fan thing and that to me is just an emotional response to not winning.

1 hour ago, Falcon Freddie said:

The Falcons should be an attractive prospect for a blue-chip coaching candidate. But if you believe in Bad Karma, has there been a more snake-bit team?

I say cursed. I expect bad things to happen now. I happened to be in the car listening to the game yesterday and hand to God I said to myself Koo was going to miss the FG.

36 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

I really don't think the league, players or coaches see Blank as a negative at all. That is solely a fan thing and that to me is just an emotional response to not winning.

Yeah outside of this message board everything I have ever read or heard about Blank has been mostly positive. 

7 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Gono much better run blocker than pass pro. I understand he was thrust into a position without practice. But gosh he was getting walked back. 

He’s a good tackle, but a good tackle far from guarantees a good guard. It’s the issue with people suggesting we take Sewell and move Jake inside - his skill set also does not translate to guard 

edit: 3 good tackles, Sewell would be the most marginal upgrade you can find with the #4 overall pick

Edited by Dirtybird56

Just now, Dirtybird56 said:

He’s a good tackle, but a good tackle far from guarantees a good guard. It’s the issue with people suggesting we take Sewell and love Jake inside - his skill set also does not translate to guard 

Evidently not in the pass game for sure. But he and Henny were a good run blocking combo. 

The difference between the Chiefs and the Jags is minuscule. Everyone on every team and practice squad is the best guy on their school team or likely the conference. The talent gap is really nonexistent. The Falcons show that sometimes. Just like The Jets threw the Browns around just because there were a few parts on COVID list. 

The D played lights out yesterday and if they played like they 9 more times we’d be on first round bye in playoffs. So yes, the team showed what can happen when the Falcons fight. Love it.  

Edited by Killing Floor

4 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

We dont need to be a playoff team.

We need to be superbowl contenders.

We HAVE to finish the unfinished job.

Mediocrity by being and expanded version of new playoffs format is as good as being a mid tier uber lux ride.