Rank Em: NFL’s Best Scouting Department

FalconsIn2012

What franchise do you guys think has the NFL’s best scouting department and where did you rank TD/Quinn/Pioli regime:

For me, the Falcons last regime was pretty dang good on draft day. If not for all the Day 1 trade up’s, they would get a top 4 grade from me

My dark horse for best scouting department has to be Gutsy & the Packers.  They’ve been very, very good for years.  But their picks, especially rounds 2-5 have been insane.  Good draft picks in conjunction with B+ coaching allows for quick turnarounds. Gives me hope for the Falcons.  

In 3 drafts the Packers added an impressive group.  I see at least 6 current or future Pro Bowl players:

Reshaun Gary, Darnell Savage, Keke, Sternberger, E. Jenkins, AJ  Dillon, Jaire Alexander, Montravious Adams, Jamaal Williams, Kevin King, Aaron Jones

• FalconsIn2012 changed the title to Rank Em: NFL’s Best Scouting Department
3 minutes ago, blizzard_falcon said:

Seahawks, Packers, Steelers, Chiefs, Ravens, Saints, Cowboys, Patriots are at the top for the past decade overall

Falcons were probably somewhere in the 12-16 range

Man, you doing the Falcons wrong.  No way there are 8 let alone 12-16 better scouting departments than TD/Quinn had

2 minutes ago, JC Falcon said:

Hate it, but give credit - Saints know what they need and are pretty good at finding the guys that will do what they want. They always have monster D line play, and great OLine pass protection.

Saints 2017 draft is historically good.  And to think they tried to move up for Mahomes that year (credit to my friend @MSalmon )

5 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Green Bay, Seattle, New England, Pittsburg, Baltimore. teams that year in and year out are in the running no matter where they draft obviously can out scout the teams that are consistently on the lower end of the draft totem pole.  Funny how it's always the same. 

I would argue Pats have drafted pretty poorly the last few years.  Just because they are winning doesn’t mean they are drafting or scouting well, the coaching was top notch.  People went there for cheap because they wanted a ring.  I liked their strategy more than their acquired players.  Trade down in draft whenever possible, don’t spend big money on free agents, bargain shop instead and coach them up.  Losing Brady and losing Scarrnechia hurt them bad this year.

26 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Man, you doing the Falcons wrong.  No way there are 8 let alone 12-16 better scouting departments than TD/Quinn had

I mean, I listed 8 right there. And I was going off 2011-2020 total

I'd probably put Minnesota and Indianapolis ahead of us too... and maybe Houston as well

So okay, maybe we were in the 11-12 range? Let's face it, a top 10 drafting team would not have missed the playoffs 6 times out of the past 10 years.

Yes, we've suffered from piss poor coaching at times, but we've also failed to bring in enough talent through the draft to sustain success... especially in the trenches

5 minutes ago, Rings said:

I would argue Pats have drafted pretty poorly the last few years.  Just because they are winning doesn’t mean they are drafting or scouting well, the coaching was top notch.  People went there for cheap because they wanted a ring.  I liked their strategy more than their acquired players.  Trade down in draft whenever possible, don’t spend big money on free agents, bargain shop instead and coach them up.  Losing Brady and losing Scarrnechia hurt them bad this year.

Yeah, they were drafting extremely well overall basically the whole time BB has been there ... until 2017 and now suddenly they can't seem to hit on hardly any picks. It's the major reason they're struggling so hard now -- they haven't had a solid draft class four years running

1 hour ago, Rings said:

I will agree with that. New England definately knows how to work the waiver wire better than anyone else in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, blizzard_falcon said:

I mean, I listed 8 right there. And I was going off 2011-2020 total

I'd probably put Minnesota and Indianapolis ahead of us too... and maybe Houston as well

So okay, maybe we were in the 11-12 range? Let's face it, a top 10 drafting team would not have missed the playoffs 6 times out of the past 10 years.

Yes, we've suffered from piss poor coaching at times, but we've also failed to bring in enough talent through the draft to sustain success... especially in the trenches

I don't think you can count the Vikings. Haven't they missed their pick like twice in the last several years? Haha

Ok. Maybe they had great drafts. I don't remember. 

Seattle getting too much love in this thread. Their drafting has been *** since 2012. Try to name one good first round pick from Seattle since 2012. You can’t, cuz they all suck. 

Green Bay is actually close to the top, although King is actually one of their busts. Pittsburgh is up there too along with Baltimore. Sadly, the saints are also high up with what they’ve done recently. 9ers have been decent with Lynch and Shanny there. Falcons honestly weren’t even far behind most of these teams and probably in the second tier. 

Steelers, Ravens, Saints, Colts, Chiefs, Seahawks (except 1st round picks), Rams,.

I feel like what many might consider good scouting could be attributed to drafting position with the exception of the Steelers and maybe the Saints. For example, i respect what the Colts have done recently, but it helps that they sucked and have been in position to draft high.

The Steelers on the other hand always draft late and tend to pick their own type of player no matter what others think. For example in 2017, Miami, Falcons and Cowboys left TJ Watt on the board and Steelers gladly took him.  In 2018 the Steelers surprised everyone with Terrell Edmunds. That is a team that believe in what they are doing.

Falcons did good the past 13 yrs in a lot of areas...but can’t put em in top ten when they didn’t find a pass rusher during that time. They didn’t find many quality OL and DL in that same time frame. Basically zero edge rushers and two busts in the first round. That part sucks no way around it.