Sewell or Fields/Wilson if we retain #3

6 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

At 3 or 4, my priorities for drafting is either:

1. Draft Lawrence ( Which I doubt he will last this far)

2. Draft Sewell

3. Trade down if at all possible, if we can remotely sniff a decent deal.

Other than those 2 players, no player is worth drafting this high. I sure as fug don't want the Falcons paying all that guaranteed money to 2nd tier players. My faith in JF is falling and I don't have any with WIlson.

More draft picks=more chances to land on quality players.

And the reason your last sentence should be the default approach going in* is because there's only two reasons your team is picking in the top 4: it stinks or it holds the pick of a team that stinks. 

My apologies to the "best 4-11 team, could've been..." crowd. I'll always be a Falcons fan, but this team folds waaaaay too often for there not to be multiple holes to be filled (the one where real contenders have a heart perhaps the most important). 

*- granted, the choice of the next GM/HC has to be made before we can assess the best way to approach the draft

15 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Take sewell and trade mathews for more picks. We gotta get out from under a few big contracts or our cap mess will just continue to 2022.

First of all, not sure why anyone would give anything of value for the 26th ranked tackle in football.  Plus, wouldn't it create a huge cap hit against us?

In speaking to a director of college scouting from a NFC team that is in the market for a new quarterback, he outlined the makeup concerns with Wilson:

• "Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

"His positives are that he's super competitive, not to get scared and won't back down, extremely confident, very smart with keen recall and teammates will play for him."

from a article on walter football

Grab Lawrence or Fields if available. If not, trade back and grab Mac, draft a RB and then go back to back on DE (possibly a CB, S or DT depending on BPA). We never hit on our first choice. With that trade back, we should still be late 3rd or into the 4th round. Fill out the rest of our needs with DL, DB or OL and look forward to free agency and surprise cuts/trades etc.

We could do a lot worse than coming away with Sewell.  Not the impact defender that some might prefer but I don't think now is the time to zero in on a QB as I think we are 1-2 years away from a full rebuild.  Teams that don't need QB's often come out winners in drafts where QB's are getting pushed up the board.  

36 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

We could do a lot worse than coming away with Sewell.  Not the impact defender that some might prefer but I don't think now is the time to zero in on a QB as I think we are 1-2 years away from a full rebuild.  Teams that don't need QB's often come out winners in drafts where QB's are getting pushed up the board.  

Ideally if we draft properly, acquire proper free agents without overpaying and manage the cap effectively, all of which we want the new regime to do, then we should be able to avoid a full rebuild. 

On 12/30/2020 at 7:59 PM, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Take sewell and trade mathews for more picks. We gotta get out from under a few big contracts or our cap mess will just continue to 2022.

Nobody is trading for Mathews and we wouldn’t trade him either because of our cap situation. 

On 12/30/2020 at 6:18 PM, joeyg2033 said:

First of all, not sure why anyone would give anything of value for the 26th ranked tackle in football.  Plus, wouldn't it create a huge cap hit against us?

Ranked 26th according to who?

I take any ranking with a grain of salt.

If we put him on the market then we would have no problem trading him and getting something decent in return.

As a matter of fact it would not shock me if the Niners made a run at him.

1 hour ago, Someday soon said:

In speaking to a director of college scouting from a NFC team that is in the market for a new quarterback, he outlined the makeup concerns with Wilson:

• "Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

"His positives are that he's super competitive, not to get scared and won't back down, extremely confident, very smart with keen recall and teammates will play for him."

from a article on walter football

Lazy anonymous sourcing by WF

Adam Schefter responds to Zach Wilson’s reported character concerns, predicts when he’ll be drafted

Jacob Hutchinson
Posted on December 24, 2020

ZachWilsonBoca.png

© Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

There’s a whole lot of buzz about that bright-eyed kid from BYU. Zach Wilson’s draft stock has exploded this year, with his outstanding arm strength and physical dynamism. He has shown the ability to run when needed or when designed, while also pushing the ball downfield.

On Wednesday, there was a report from Walter Football, quoting NFL scouts that Wilson had some character concerns. Per the report, a director of college scouting from a NFC team said Wilson was… “Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He’s a backyard baller who is fun to watch.”

ESPN’s Adam Schefter was stunned by this. He joined the Murph and Mac Show on Thursday with Adam Copeland and Marcus Thompson, and was taken aback by Copeland telling him about the report.

Schefter said he had gotten off the phone with a source telling him about Wilson moments before joining the show, and said he’s only heard rave reviews. His belief? Wilson, not Justin Fields, is the second quarterback picked in the NFL Draft, meaning he may well be outside of the 49ers’ range, and likely to the New York Jets, at No. 2.

“Wow. I mean, first of all, everything you said there just floored me and it floored me because number one, I think he’s gonna be the second quarterback picked, not the third,” Schefter said. “I think he’ll go second. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the guy, and that he got quote unquote “special intangibles.” I hung up the phone, literally before I came on the show, with somebody who was telling me all about him, and it couldn’t have been any further from what you said. I can’t even believe we’re talking about the same guy.”

He said he would have to continue calling around the league because the “portrait” that was painted for him was nothing like the one from the Walter Football report.

“I’ve heard Zach Wilson is an incredible kid, but again, a little bit new on the scene,” Schefter said. “Have to vet it out, check him out, make more calls, but I know people that know him pretty well, and they speak pretty highly about him.”

23 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Lazy anonymous sourcing by WF

Adam Schefter responds to Zach Wilson’s reported character concerns, predicts when he’ll be drafted

Jacob Hutchinson
Posted on December 24, 2020

ZachWilsonBoca.png

© Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

There’s a whole lot of buzz about that bright-eyed kid from BYU. Zach Wilson’s draft stock has exploded this year, with his outstanding arm strength and physical dynamism. He has shown the ability to run when needed or when designed, while also pushing the ball downfield.

On Wednesday, there was a report from Walter Football, quoting NFL scouts that Wilson had some character concerns. Per the report, a director of college scouting from a NFC team said Wilson was… “Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He’s a backyard baller who is fun to watch.”

ESPN’s Adam Schefter was stunned by this. He joined the Murph and Mac Show on Thursday with Adam Copeland and Marcus Thompson, and was taken aback by Copeland telling him about the report.

Schefter said he had gotten off the phone with a source telling him about Wilson moments before joining the show, and said he’s only heard rave reviews. His belief? Wilson, not Justin Fields, is the second quarterback picked in the NFL Draft, meaning he may well be outside of the 49ers’ range, and likely to the New York Jets, at No. 2.

“Wow. I mean, first of all, everything you said there just floored me and it floored me because number one, I think he’s gonna be the second quarterback picked, not the third,” Schefter said. “I think he’ll go second. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the guy, and that he got quote unquote “special intangibles.” I hung up the phone, literally before I came on the show, with somebody who was telling me all about him, and it couldn’t have been any further from what you said. I can’t even believe we’re talking about the same guy.”

He said he would have to continue calling around the league because the “portrait” that was painted for him was nothing like the one from the Walter Football report.

“I’ve heard Zach Wilson is an incredible kid, but again, a little bit new on the scene,” Schefter said. “Have to vet it out, check him out, make more calls, but I know people that know him pretty well, and they speak pretty highly about him.”

glad to hear this and hope Scheffty is right.

That would leave Justin Fields for us at #4 although I wouldn't be surprised that we would have to move up to #3 to secure him as other teams will try and get at Fields at #3.    Bengals need offensive line so they would probably take a lot less from us than other offers because they would be assured of getting Sewell at #4.

36 minutes ago, Someday soon said:

Thanks FalconsIn2012.  Three good QB prospects and Sewell will work as long as we just play good enough to lose today.

LOL....

Honestly, the system and where player X is drafted are so important.  There are probably 5 QB’s in this draft who could be Pro Bowl QB’s if they land in the right system

Sewell is going to be a HOF LT. Problem is we have a starting LT, and our OL is Young. I prefer if none of the top 3 qbs are available that we trade down and take the best FS. You can use that extra 2nd rounder on a cb, and our early 2ns to take the best RB on the board. 

27 minutes ago, QBat3 said:

Sewell is going to be a HOF LT. Problem is we have a starting LT, and our OL is Young. I prefer if none of the top 3 qbs are available that we trade down and take the best FS. You can use that extra 2nd rounder on a cb, and our early 2ns to take the best RB on the board. 

So we drafted Neal, who was a All Pro in 2017.  How has that exactly effected the proper change we needed in this soon to be 4-12 team?  Draft another FS?  No thanks. We need a game changer, and FS ain't it.  Please see threads for Wilson an/or Fields...

11 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

So we drafted Neal, who was a All Pro in 2017.  How has that exactly effected the proper change we needed in this soon to be 4-12 team?  Draft another FS?  No thanks. We need a game changer, and FS ain't it.  Please see threads for Wilson an/or Fields...

Lots of game changing FS out this year. And Neal is practically an extra LBer, he isn't going to affect coverage on the back end. We need an FS who can clean up for the younger cbs we have. 

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Ranked 26th according to who?

I take any ranking with a grain of salt.

If we put him on the market then we would have no problem trading him and getting something decent in return.

As a matter of fact it would not shock me if the Niners made a run at him.

I agree.  Matthews is not a world-beater, but he is reliable and experienced with plenty of tread on his tires.  

I think a team like SF would give up a second rounder for JM.....and I would not blame them.