Sewell or Fields/Wilson if we retain #3

matty72780

The more I think about it the more I like Sewell. An opportunity to get a guy who could be the next Joe Thomas for 10+ years (assuming he stays healthy). We move Jake Matthews to LG and Hennessy takes over for Mack @ Center (Mack is a FA this year). That’s a young OL that could be the “Cowboys of the 90’s” for the next 8+ years (barring any injuries). The keeps Matt Ryan upright - let’s face it, Matt Ryan is our QB until 2022 at the earliest due to his contract + cap hit. 

On the flip side though, this is probably the best opportunity we will have to get a super star future franchise QB (Fields or Wilson), because let’s face it, we should have a way better record than we currently do (we lost 8 games by 3.4 points this year). Under a new GM and coach we should play way closer to our potential and I wouldn’t expect to have a top 10 pick in any of the next 5+ NFL drafts. 

I think if we want to win NOW, Sewell is the pick, sure we can draft a defensive player but it would be smarter for us to focus on out-scoring our opponents because that’s way more likely than getting a stout defense come next year. But I can also see us wanting our future QB because at this rate we will have a new QB under center as early as the 2022 season. 

What are your thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I think this could have gone in one of the other threads talking about the same thing.

Because there’s so much other news to talk about!? If you don’t like a thread then don’t read it. Never understood the message board policing, it’s childish. We’re in dead last, our season is over, we have a moving target as the 3rd pick. If you don’t like a post, don’t read it, or especially comment on it. 

4 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I would draft Sewell based on one main fact.  I can not recognize a good QB prospect to save my life

I think Zach Wilson is going to be a stud. Justin Fields has RG3 bust alert written all over him in my opinion, but I’m also not a scouting director so I could be completely wrong. 

Just now, matty72780 said:

I think Zach Wilson is going to be a stud. Justin Fields has RG3 bust alert written all over him in my opinion, but I’m also not a scouting director so I could be completely wrong. 

RG3 gave Washington it's best season in 25 years. Can't control a knee injury derailing a promising career...Ask Todd Gurley.

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

RG3 gave Washington it's best season in 25 years. Can't control a knee injury derailing a promising career...Ask Todd Gurley.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/friday-five-the-biggest-nfl-draft-quarterback-busts-of-the-bcs-era/amp/

RG3 = 5th biggest QB bust in BCS/NFL history. 

13 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

idk if we can say that who knows what RG3 could of done if he never got hurt RG3 could of been Lamar Jackson before Lamar Jackson

13 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

Again, You cannot control a player having a career changing Knee injury. Name any prospect you want, It can happen to anyone. 

What we saw was Washington's best season in 25 years in RG3's rookie year prior to the injury.

22 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

Because there’s so much other news to talk about!? If you don’t like a thread then don’t read it. Never understood the message board policing, it’s childish. We’re in dead last, our season is over, we have a moving target as the 3rd pick. If you don’t like a post, don’t read it, or especially comment on it. 

Probably because there’s already a thread on this question you just added one extra player.

15 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Again, You cannot control a player having a career changing Knee injury. Name any prospect you want, It can happen to anyone. 

What we saw was Washington's best season in 25 years in RG3's rookie year prior to the injury.

Well in fairness, the Redskins won the SB in 1992 and if there’s an organization that’s more of a dumpster fire than us, it’s Washington haha. But I do understand what you’re saying and I agree there is some merit to it, BUT, RG3 is in the NFL today and he’s been a career backup after being injured. Guys like Josh Allen (blew his knee out twice), Brees (tore throwing shoulder in 2 spots), Phillip Rivers tore ACL, Willis McGahee’s knee basically exploded and be had an amazing comeback. So RG3 can use his injury as a crutch but there are players who have experienced something similar and still had phenomenal careers so some of RG3 falls on him. 

Edited by matty72780

New York Jets staff and fans thought they had their superstar in Sam Darnold, appointing any QB in this class one before he has even played an NFL snap is ridiculous. In this scenario I would take Sewell, absolute beast at LT and move on from Matthews unless you could restructure the line to allow him or McGary to move inside.

I want a dominate DE. I don’t feel we need to draft qb THIS year had def don’t need to spend an high pick on line again. DK’s line scheme is terrible and Jurassic. That’s why the right GM choosing the right HC is critical. I want a wco HC that gets a true WCO OC and gets a TRUE wco zone blocking steeped line coach. Draft a RB after the DE. Anything after that I don’t care as much cause it can go however. But my main wants is dominate DE 1st. RB second. The offense is just great coaching away from being great again. Not talent deprived. 

11 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I want a dominate DE. I don’t feel we need to draft qb THIS year had def don’t need to spend an high pick on line again. DK’s line scheme is terrible and Jurassic. That’s why the right GM choosing the right HC is critical. I want a wco HC that gets a true WCO OC and gets a TRUE wco zone blocking steeped line coach. Draft a RB after the DE. Anything after that I don’t care as much cause it can go however. But my main wants is dominate DE 1st. RB second. The offense is just great coaching away from being great again. Not talent deprived. 

Whose your pick at 4 Fatboi?  You like Parsons (I know he more LB)?

1 hour ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Whose your pick at 4 Fatboi?  You like Parsons (I know he more LB)?

I’m not sure yet. Waiting to see who arises at the combine. I wasn’t that aware of Khalil Mack in his draft until the combine. Then I went thru his games and saw he was a monster. Parsons is good tho. It’s been such a crazy season I more critical this year. 

On 12/28/2020 at 1:25 PM, TheFatboi said:

There are no dominant DEs in this draft, and it would be dumb taking this one this high. At best trade down and then draft one. But if the Falcons pick this high it's either QB or Sewell.

At 3 or 4, my priorities for drafting is either:

1. Draft Lawrence ( Which I doubt he will last this far)

2. Draft Sewell

3. Trade down if at all possible, if we can remotely sniff a decent deal.

Other than those 2 players, no player is worth drafting this high. I sure as fug don't want the Falcons paying all that guaranteed money to 2nd tier players. My faith in JF is falling and I don't have any with WIlson.

More draft picks=more chances to land on quality players.