If it's the Falcons new GM's job to hire a new head coach how did Raheem Morris get an interview last week?

Falcons Fan MVP

22 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

It was discussed in length in another post, but "professional courtesy". He's most likely not even in the running. Although I wouldn't be opposed to making him our DC with Ulbrich. Ah who am I kidding, send them packing. We need a new culture.

Wade Phillips or Rex Ryan is the only ones I think would be an upgrade at DC 

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

It's been posted and reported that the new GM is not hiring a head coach. They are both being chosen by McKay and Blank and to be hired at the same time.

The interview I saw with McKay said they may do it in either order (that is, they might hire the HC first and the GM 2nd, or vice-versa).  Has he said something different since then?

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

The interview I saw with McKay said they may do it in either order (that is, they might hire the HC first and the GM 2nd, or vice-versa).  Has he said something different since then?

I'm just going by what he said when Quinn and TD were fired. I know he is making the decision on coach not the GM. 

I would guess they would want someone on sooner than later for GM but probably want to interview guys they can't at the moment.

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

I'm just going by what he said when Quinn and TD were fired. I know he is making the decision on coach not the GM. 

I would guess they would want someone on sooner than later for GM but probably want to interview guys they can't at the moment.

The way he described it to D-Led, basically he and whoever else is participating will give Blank the candidates they like and the reasoning, and Blank makes the final decision.  If there is a GM in place when the coach is hired, I imagine the GM will get to throw in his 2 cents.

I think your last sentence is on the money.  I think they are more worried about making the wrong choice than getting someone in fast.  They're going to take their time and make the right decision (as they see it).

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The way he described it to D-Led, basically he and whoever else is participating will give Blank the candidates they like and the reasoning, and Blank makes the final decision.  If there is a GM in place when the coach is hired, I imagine the GM will get to throw in his 2 cents.

I think your last sentence is on the money.  I think they are more worried about making the wrong choice than getting someone in fast.  They're going to take their time and make the right decision (as they see it).

I hope they are getting as much input as possible.

6 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Is Arthur Blank's hiring firm going to pick the head coach or the new GM?

Perhaps they already know the new GM and haven't announced it yet. 

Arthur Blank and Rich McKay must have some say in who the head coach will be if they interviewed Raheem Morris already.

Good point. It shows that any good gm would be wise to look elsewhere because he won’t have full control here.

When you hire something like a gm, you’re hiring expertise. You’re saying, “i don’t know how to run a team, so please come do it for me.”

If your then start interjecting stupid opinions like, “oh, but hire dirk koetter s the OC so Matt wont have to learn a new system,” then the expert you hired can’t do what you hired him for.

Vince lombardi and bear bryant would suck under those conditions. And therefore, they’d be smart enough not to take this job.

2 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping Morris as the DC and making Ulbrich the linebacker coach or something. Let’s face it, Morris is not on any other NFLs teams radar for a HC position so I don’t believe a DC position would be a demotion for him. He was the WR coach two years ago. 

I really do think Morris has been burned by the organization here (not intentionally, but still).  What's been revealed is the team lacks talent on defense and a coherent and workable scheme on offense.  Morris has done the best he can with the defensive talent we've given him to work with.  We need pass rush, a safety and depth at CB, in that order.  Koetter's scheme is not conducive to winning even with good defense, since we do nothing to burn clock and score points with a lead.  It's feast or famine.  He had that one good drive yesterday that resulted in a TD, and I swear I wondered if someone else wasn't calling the plays, because it was all fast strikes, running the ball -- all the things we should do with a lead but never do.  Then with the game on the line we're chucking it toward the end zone instead of driving it down the field with high percentage plays.

I think Morris is likely gone, but I would love him to stay on as the DC, and if he doesn't, I hope the new staff considers Ulbrich for that job, and invests significant draft capital on the defensive side of the ball.

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

If they hire a HC before a GM that’s a$$ backwards. That’s my biggest fear because we’ve proven that relying on Blank to “pick the right” coach blows up in our face 100% of the timeframe he’s owned the Falcons. 

Too many cooks in the kitchen in Atlanta, makes the front office dysfunctional which has been the obvious since we fired Dan Reeves. 

Just now, matty72780 said:

If they hire a HC before a GM that’s a$$ backwards. That’s my biggest fear because we’ve proven that relying on Blank to “pick the right” coach blows up in our face 100% of the timeframe he’s owned the Falcons. 

Too many cooks in the kitchen in Atlanta, makes the front office dysfunctional which has been the obvious since we fired Dan Reeves. 

I agree.  But that's exactly what McKay said.  I think ideally they'd like to hire the GM first, and I do think that's one reason they let Dimitroff go mid-season.  But time is getting short at this point.

I think it ends up looking a lot like it did with the Smith hire, where McKay runs the interviews, they bring in the GM and say "we think this is our guy, what do you think?"  If the GM agrees, we make the hire.  If not, hopefully we step back and reset.  I'd rather have Morris stay on for another year than make a bad HC hire because we goobered up the timing.  And we sure don't want conflict between the HC and a GM who doesn't really want him here.

7 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Is Arthur Blank's hiring firm going to pick the head coach or the new GM?

Perhaps they already know the new GM and haven't announced it yet. 

Arthur Blank and Rich McKay must have some say in who the head coach will be if they interviewed Raheem Morris already.

The Rooney rule...