If Picking at #3, and unable to trade down, does Sewell make sense?

Foo Falcons

If we lose out and Cincinnati (vs. HOU) and Carolina (vs. WAS) win this week then we are at #3. I'm definitely on board with selecting our future QB but if we aren't able to trade down and we aren't comfortable with the QBs on the board then what about Sewell? He would be a dominate LG for us right away and could take over for Matthews probably sooner than later. 

Sewell would instantly upgrade our running game. Pair him with a top HB, say Najee Harris, in the 2nd round and we have the making of a solid running game. 

I like Farley at CB but thats too high for him and I'm not sold on a QB at the moment other than Lawrence who obviously won't be there. 

Again I would prefer to trade down but it takes two to tango and if we can't find a partner then Sewell would be a solid pick. Assuming Lawrence and Fields go 1 and 2. This might not be the best case scenario but I would be on board with it for sure, especially pairing a big HB with him. The rest of the draft can be defense with a TE sprinkled in. Really like the Jake Furgesson kid out of Wisconsin at TE in the 3rd or 4th.

Edited by Foo Falcors
Wording, additional detail

This move would even make financial sense if we want to upgrade the line and save money. If Sewell is there, you take him and put him at LT and either move Matthews somewhere or make him a post 6/1 cut and save cap, if I remember correctly, his cap hit would be lower than what would cost to keep him, so saving on cap and upgrade a position at the same time.

I wouldnt put him at LG tho, Gono needs to start and play, the guy is extremely solid and should have started earlier than today, we might even have a decent oline for the first time

5 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

There's absolutely no way possible for the Falcons to gain the #3 pick. It's just not mathematically possible. Jaguars and Jets have the first two picks locked up. Falcons SOS puts them behind the Panthers and that's only getting harder with their last two games being against the Chiefs and Bucs. That's not even accounting for the Bengals who are currently in the 3 hole. So, as you can see, it's impossible for the Falcons to get the #3 pick.

Panthers win + Bengals win we are 3rd pick.

Both have winnable games today

5 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

There's absolutely no way possible for the Falcons to gain the #3 pick. It's just not mathematically possible. Jaguars and Jets have the first two picks locked up. Falcons SOS puts them behind the Panthers and that's only getting harder with their last two games being against the Chiefs and Bucs. That's not even accounting for the Bengals who are currently in the 3 hole. So, as you can see, it's impossible for the Falcons to get the #3 pick.

That's just incorrect. The Bengals are 3-10-1, so they're only a half game behind us and there's still 1 game left

7 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

If the Bengals win this week their record becomes 4-10-1 which is better than 4-11 which would be our record should we lose. If Carolina wins they go to 5-10 and slide down behind us as well. Its that simple. SOS may end up causing us to side behind Houston should they lose out as well, I'm not sure. But #3 is in fact possible

23 minutes ago, Foo Falcors said:

If we lose out and Cincinnati (vs. HOU) and Carolina (vs. WAS) win this week then we are at #3. I'm definitely on board with selecting our future QB but if we aren't able to trade down and we aren't comfortable with the QBs on the board then what about Sewell? He would be a dominate LG for us right away and could take over for Matthews probably sooner than later. 

Sewell would instantly upgrade our running game. Pair him with a top HB, say Najee Harris, in the 2nd round and we have the making of a solid running game. 

I like Farley at CB but thats too high for him and I'm not sold on a QB at the moment other than Lawrence who obviously won't be there. 

Again I would prefer to trade down but it takes two to tango and if we can't find a partner then Sewell would be a solid pick. Assuming Lawrence and Fields go 1 and 2. This isn't the best case scenario by any means but I would be on board with it especially pairing a big HB with him. The rest of the draft can be defense with a TE sprinkled in.

Absolutely. Sewell is an absolute monster. Slide Hennessy to center. Move Sewell to LG until Matthews contract ends. 

1 minute ago, Foo Falcors said:

If the Bengals win this week their record becomes 4-10-1 which is better than 4-11 which would be our record should we lose. If Carolina wins they go to 5-10 and slide down behind us as well. Its that simple. SOS may end up causing us to side behind Houston should they lose out as well, I'm not sure. But #3 is in fact possible

Houston’s SOS is currently higher than ours, meaning we would most likely stay ahead of them if we both lose out. 

1 minute ago, shock said:

Houston’s SOS is currently higher than ours, meaning we would most likely stay ahead of them if we both lose out. 

Thats my understanding as well. Didnt know if that might change by a few .000 percentages potentially, which is all that separates us, depending on the remaining opponents record. But i don't think it would make a difference anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Nah you keep Sewell at LT and move Jake

That may be the better way to go. I mean hey if he's ready day one to be the starting LT and is a clear upgrade to Matthews immediately than absolutely. Id prefer more power than Matthews has at LG but I'm sure he'd be fine

32 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

If we have a top three pick we better be trading down and acquired multiple picks...finally can fill our roster with quality top 100 picks 

Gotta have a willing partner who is willing to make a trade that makes sense for us to do that. There is no guarantee that happens. We do not have total control of that situation.