[NA] Braves legend Phil Niekro dies at age 81

fuego

RIP Knucksie. Used to love watching him pitch. I remember we were playing the Mets one time back when Niekro was one of the only reasons to watch the Braves. Niekro had the knuckler dancing. He threw a two strike pitch to the batter (maybe George Foster but I can’t remember for sure) who swung at it and literally missed it by a foot. He looked at Niekro and just busted out laughing as if you say “how can I possibly hit that?”  Niekro was a good man. He will be missed. 

RIP Knucksie. Pissed me off that Torre got rid of him after a 17-4 season when he clearly had gas left in the tank. And in true Braves form, he like Glavine and Maddux went on to win their 300th game in another uniform. And to think he won 300 while starting his career as a reliever and languishing most of the time on crappy Braves teams. Greatest knuckleballer of all time. 

14 minutes ago, fuego said:

I know this isn't football so it can be moved, but just thought I would post it here. Can't post the story because AJC is now paid.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/braves-legend-phil-niekro-dies-at-age-81/7MPUHCU54RHARPKNC3GO5IHG7M/?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_1855779

No don’t move it. Knucksie transcends ALL Atlanta sports. 

1 minute ago, Michael Scott said:

RIP Knucksie. Pissed me off that Torre got rid of him after a 17-4 season when he clearly had gas left in the tank. And in true Braves form, he like Glavine and Maddux went on to win their 300th game in another uniform. And to think he won 300 while starting his career as a reliever and languishing most of the time on crappy Braves teams. Greatest knuckleballer of all time. 

Another Atlanta sports legend, like Dale Murphy, Tommy Nobis and Jesse Tuggle who were never fully appreciated because they played on underperforming teams. They would have all been national stars had they played on great teams in major markets. 

3 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

Another Atlanta sports legend, like Dale Murphy, Tommy Nobis and Jesse Tuggle who were never fully appreciated because they played on underperforming teams. They would have all been national stars had they played on great teams in major markets. 

Yes indeed. Phil only finally got national media respect because he went to the Yankees. I’m fairly confident he would have been the first 300 game winner to be denied entry to the HOF if he had stayed here. 

RIP Phil, **** I was so pissed when they let him go, I didn't go to a game again for a few seasons. He was severely under rated, stuck on the Braves when they were really bad. He had a year where he won 21 games and lost 20 he ate innings like no other. And yes 317 wins deserves some notice, not bad for a pitcher who spent 21 years with a team. 

I will never forget being at the last home game in 1987 when Niekro ended his career as an Atlanta Brave. He reached on an error in his only AB and the crowd went wild.

I also have a fond memory of Knucksie from the 1992 NLCS against the Pirates. Knucksie was throwing batting practice because Tim Wakefield was starting for the Bucs. I was sitting a few rows behind the Braves dugout and I watched Lonnie Smith swing and miss about 6 or 7 of Knucksie's knuckleballs. Lonnie yelled "F*ck it!" and threw his bat toward the dugout in disgust.