Are there any quarterbacks in this year's draft class besides Trevor Lawrence that you feel confident would bring winning football to Atlanta for years to come?

Falcons Fan MVP

Are there any quarterbacks that you think will be available by the 5-8th pick that you feel confident would make a good quarterback for the Falcons for years to come?

Good in pressure situations? Clutch? Good leader? Good character? 

We better not draft a QB unless we are very confident.

If it's me it's either trade up for Trevor Lawrence or no QB at all. Kind of like the falcons traded up for Vick. 

None after TLaw that I think are “can’t miss”.

That’s why if they all have a level of development needed I would rather get a blue chip player (Micah Parsons) and take a guy in round 2-4 (Jones, Lance, Trask, Ehlinger, King, etc.) I don’t know which one is the right guy, but that is my uneducated, preferred method of attack. I could even support a move back into the end of round 1 if they feel that strongly about a QB prospect. 

if you take one top 5 it just feels like you must trade Ryan and give them the reigns immediately. If you don’t have the cans to do that, don’t take one top 5 and create a QB controversy. 

2 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

None after TLaw that I think are “can’t miss”.

That’s why if they all have a level of development needed I would rather get a blue chip player (Micah Parsons) and take a guy in round 2-4 (Jones, Lance, Trask, Ehlinger, King, etc.) I don’t know which one is the right guy, but that is my uneducated, preferred method of attack.

if you take one top 5 it just feels like you must trade Ryan and give them the reigns immediately. If you don’t have the cans to do that, don’t take one top 5 and create a QB controversy. 

The Falcons traded up for Vick and he basically sat a year. He only played if Chandler was hurt which was a lot LoL.

I don't see us making a QB pick with our first pick.  Our defense has been so putrid, that I think the pick goes there, especially if Micah Parsons is on the board at our pick.  I do feel we target a RB or another CB/DE in the second.  If either one of Etienne or Harris is there, that's our second pick. Obviously it depends on the incoming organization but I do feel that they really need to address defense with the top pick and the running game with the second.  Then maybe biggest needs afterwards which will be DL and secondary help.  As for the QB's behind Lawrence, I think there is quality future starters/stars with Wilson & Lance but I don't think anyone under Lawrence will be a 2021 starter.  We could likely take a chance on Jamie Newman if he's there in the 4th round to learn behind Ryan. He has good potential but sitting out 2020 after transferring to UGA from Wake Forest will put him behind in getting prepared.  

Quarterbacks are as much about their systems as they are about their athletic ability.  How many freaks have we seen that never made it?  And how many with limited athletic ability have had long careers?  For me, a QB is a game manager and can be successful within the right system.  I know next to nothing about college football as I enjoy other things besides my entire weekend being just football.  But, I think a kid that played for a pro style system in college and with superior competition has a really good shot at making a team.  And a better chance than most in having a long career.

3 minutes ago, insight said:

Plenty of QB's in this draft that I am confident with be Franchise QB's.  The key is will they get drafted to the right organization, in the right scheme, and coaching.  This is the deepest QB draft in years, it's hard to understand how many people don't understand that fact. 

For me, it’s the falcons fans are speaking way prematurely on the QB thing. We need a GM and coach first. Not knowing who the coach is going to be and assuming Zach Wilson will be the franchise savior is pretty foolish 

48 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Eight current division leaders: Chiefs, Bills, Steelers, Titans, Packers, Saints, Seahawks, WFT. None drafted their starting QB first overall. None even drafted their starting QB in the Top 5. Let's not pretend tanking for the first pick is the only way to build a franchise.

That's because it depends how deep the draft is at other positions.  This draft is light on top tier defensive talent, and generation talent in general.  The Falcons had Redman when they decided to draft Matt Ryan, many people made the same argument you are making right now. 

Edited by insight

7 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

For me, it’s the falcons fans are speaking way prematurely on the QB thing. We need a GM and coach first. Not knowing who the coach is going to be and assuming Zach Wilson will be the franchise savior is pretty foolish 

I agree with you 100% on that. I think the only QB who can play in almost any scheme is Trevor Lawrence.  If the New GM and Coach is not convinced their future QB is not in this draft we should not take a QB.  If they do they should pull the trigger, but ultimately your right it's premature to pick the QB before the GM Head coach and System. 

Edited by insight