Mike Tannenbaum on how teams can move contracts with huge cap hits

Spts1

Heard this on "Get Up" on ESPN this morning. Tannenbaum is a former GM that apparantly has expertise in contracts and the salary cap.  This morning, he gave a example of how a team can move a huge contract that counts big against the cap.  He went over Wentz's contract for instance. These are approximate numbers.   He did a scenario where the Eagles trade Wentz to the Colts.  Wentz would count approximately 33 million against the Eagles cap if he is traded.  Wentz would write a check to the Eagles for 20 million.   Wentz would now count only 13 million against the Eagles cap. They trade him and the Colts restructure his contract where they pay him the SAME BASE salary, but give him a 20 million signing bonus which REPLACES the 20 million he gave to the Eagles.   

Which brings me to Ryan, Julio and the new GM.  The exact same scenario could play out.   This is important because with these huge contracts being given out, I bet more teams are gonna use this type of tool to have roster flexibility. Its a interesting take by Tannenbaum.

3 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Heard this on "Get Up" on ESPN this morning. Tannenbaum is a former GM that apparantly has expertise in contracts and the salary cap.  This morning, he gave a example of how a team can move a huge contract that counts big against the cap.  He went over Wentz's contract for instance. These are approximate numbers.   He did a scenario where the Eagles trade Wentz to the Colts.  Wentz would count approximately 33 million against the Eagles cap if he is traded.  Wentz would write a check to the Eagles for 20 million.   Wentz would now count only 13 million against the Eagles cap. They trade him and the Colts restructure his contract where they pay him the SAME BASE salary, but give him a 20 million signing bonus which REPLACES the 20 million he gave to the Eagles.   

Which brings me to Ryan, Julio and the new GM.  The exact same scenario could play out.   This is important because with these huge contracts being given out, I bet more teams are gonna use this type of tool to have roster flexibility. Its a interesting take by Tannenbaum.

tenor.gif?itemid=9479111

22 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yeah........I wouldn't really trust Mike Tannenbaum's GM suggestions.

Why would Wentz go out of his way to do that? If Wentz isn't the guy at QB for the Eagles, doubt he stays of the roster as the most expensive backup in NFL history.

I thought that he is the one that’s grumbling that he wants traded and the Eagles don’t want to trade him...but if he demands it, it’s what he has to do. All seems a little fishy though doesn’t it?

that said, our situation is different IMO. I think people are jumping the gun that a new GM and HC will definitely want Ryan gone so fast. Any guy worth bringing in will know that Kooters offense is abysmal and will not place the blame solely on Ryan despite what our fan base thinks. Being able to come to a spot where you have a franchise QB is attractive to a HC, more so than a team that doesn’t have one.

40 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Not sure I would be trusting anything Tannenbaum throws out there. He’s known as one of worst GM’s in history of league.

Never understood why eagles went all in with Wentz, he was struggling in several areas when they did it. 

14 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Why would Wentz write a check to the Eagles though? What’s his motivation?

Several reasons. First, if he wants to START, he has a relationship with the Colts headcoach. He would essentially regain a starting gig AND keep his salary.  Second, if he starts making noise, the Eagles could take the cap hit and force a trade. 

12 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

"We don't want you anymore but could you also do us a solid on the way out so we can ditch you?"

Btw, nobody's paying 30-40 mill plus draft picks for Carson Wentz.

Or he can sit on the bench behind Hurts like he has the last two games...

1 minute ago, Spts1 said:

Or he can sit on the bench behind Hurts like he has the last two games...

That's what will happen if they don't want Wentz to start. There's too many parties in play that all have to agree to something for this to work out. The Eagles have to get the compensation they want, Wentz has to agree, and the other team has to lose picks, eat his huge salary, and also want him in the first place. The odds are tiny of all of that lining up. 

5 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

That's what will happen if they don't want Wentz to start. There's too many parties in play that all have to agree to something for this to work out. The Eagles have to get the compensation they want, Wentz has to agree, and the other team has to lose picks, eat his huge salary, and also want him in the first place. The odds are tiny of all of that lining up. 

That applies to ANY trade in which a player has any leverage. This wouldn't be anything new. The point of the thread is to show HOW it could work, nothing else. Tannenbaum was showing a creative way that teams could deal with the salary cap.  If the Eagle and Colts approached Wentz with something like that, yes, he could poo poo it and stay on the Eagles bench.

35 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

"We don't want you anymore but could you also do us a solid on the way out so we can ditch you?"

Btw, nobody's paying 30-40 mill plus draft picks for Carson Wentz.

42 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Why would Wentz write a check to the Eagles though? What’s his motivation?

Well he would do it so he could get traded to a team that will start him. Otherwise Eagles can just keep him as a backup and he’s made it known he wants to start. 

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

I thought that he is the one that’s grumbling that he wants traded and the Eagles don’t want to trade him...but if he demands it, it’s what he has to do. All seems a little fishy though doesn’t it?

that said, our situation is different IMO. I think people are jumping the gun that a new GM and HC will definitely want Ryan gone so fast. Any guy worth bringing in will know that Kooters offense is abysmal and will not place the blame solely on Ryan despite what our fan base thinks. Being able to come to a spot where you have a franchise QB is attractive to a HC, more so than a team that doesn’t have one.

I saw a report a few days ago that Wentz wants to stay in Philly.

He may be motivated to get his starting job back from Hurts.

35 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Well he would do it so he could get traded to a team that will start him. Otherwise Eagles can just keep him as a backup and he’s made it known he wants to start. 

I think it'll eventually force Eagles hand if Wentz doesn't the starting QB spot back. He's too expensive to just sit back and be the most expensive backup QB in NFL history by far.

49 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

That applies to ANY trade in which a player has any leverage. This wouldn't be anything new. The point of the thread is to show HOW it could work, nothing else. Tannenbaum was showing a creative way that teams could deal with the salary cap.  If the Eagle and Colts approached Wentz with something like that, yes, he could poo poo it and stay on the Eagles bench.

There's a million ways to theoretically deal with the cap. When the chance of it actually happening is infinitesimal it becomes less useful to consider. We'll never do this with Ryan or JJ, and it won't happen with Wentz. 

27 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

There's a million ways to theoretically deal with the cap. When the chance of it actually happening is infinitesimal it becomes less useful to consider. We'll never do this with Ryan or JJ, and it won't happen with Wentz. 

What was the title of the thread?

Just now, Lornoth said:

I'm not bashing you for anything. I just want to be clear to all the people who will take this and run as to how we're going to get rid of Ryan and JJ that it's almost certainly not a possibility.

Cool. I'm just pointing out something that was said as a way that GM's could TRY and move big contracts.  I'm not assuming anything with the Falcons.  They may just keep both Ryan and Jones.  That doesn't stop anything in the draft from happening with either player...

40 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Cool. I'm just pointing out something that was said as a way that GM's could TRY and move big contracts.  I'm not assuming anything with the Falcons.  They may just keep both Ryan and Jones.  That doesn't stop anything in the draft from happening with either player...

I don't even think a good GM would even consider doing that. Much easier to just come up with an agreement to get the other team to agree to shoulder some of the cap hit.

Mike Tannenbaum was a terrible GM.

10 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

He cost more to let loose than to keep at least until after next year.

If Hurts is really the guy at QB, then they can afford to keep Wentz for a year.

If Hurts isn't the guy, maybe Wentz gets a second shot and makes good on it?

It's win win situation for the Eagles unless both suck.

36 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I don't even think a good GM would even consider doing that. Much easier to just come up with an agreement to get the other team to agree to shoulder some of the cap hit.

Mike Tannenbaum was a terrible GM.

The new team is gonna absorb contract regardless. Its about getting a deal done. But the Falcons are smarter than everyone else. Trophy case full of superbowl trophies.