What does Rick Smith as GM mean for Matt Ryan?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where as im not against a good QB if they fall to us like Lawrence, Fields, or Wilson.   That statement right there is completely false as they have never given Ryan a competent O-line and defense.  T

Almost the same minus 60%.....lmao

If you think that's based in large part on physical talent, you're dead wrong. Kyle Shanahan coached RG3 to a Rookie of the Year win, and then he got Matt Ryan. Which of those two "maximized" his

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Rick Smith is the odds on favorite to land the GM job. Do you think that Rick Smith will most likely want to keep Matt and Julio or go in another direction?

Who do you think Rick Smith might hire as head coach for the Falcons? 

Maybe he tries to bring in Kubiak as head coach and Wade Phillips as DC.

This is true with only 2 interviews. We have a ways to go before we can label an "odds on favorite" I think.

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Rick Smith is the odds on favorite to land the GM job. Do you think that Rick Smith will most likely want to keep Matt and Julio or go in another direction?

Depends on who is tapped for the HC position. Rick Smith strikes me as a guy who drafts players based on coaching/team/scheme needs. If any of the top 3 hot HC names (Bieniemy, Smith, Daboll) are selected, I can imagine that their wish list would include a QB that fits their system’s archetype. 

19 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I think he needs to address getting a QB for the future regardless. We've been riding a fine line with Matt not getting seriously injured and having to turn things over to Schaub. We need good depth and someone who can carry the team when the time comes. 

I wonder if sometlike Minshew would become available?

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Ryan maybe here for another year or two. Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan but this organization has given him everything to succeed, I believe we need to look for his successor in this draft

19 minutes ago, blknoble357 said:

Ryan maybe here for another year or two. Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan but this organization has given him everything to succeed, I believe we need to look for his successor in this draft

Where as im not against a good QB if they fall to us like Lawrence, Fields, or Wilson.   That statement right there is completely false as they have never given Ryan a competent O-line and defense.  They have given him some good skill position players but those are useless if you don't have the line to give them time to get open and the line to open holes for the RB to take pressure off the passing game.   Don't even get me started on defense thats just been trash since day 1.   The 1 time they did give him a somewhat solid O-line and a avg or so defense was the year he became MVP and led us to a SB.  Then the coach's failed him and the rest of the team in the end.

30 minutes ago, blknoble357 said:

Yes and no. Yes, he’s gotten a lot of help on the offensive end, albeit the o-line has been so-so for a large chunk of his career. No because our defense has been terrible during the entire duration of the Ryan era and only once from 2012 onward has the defense even been average. 

36 minutes ago, blknoble357 said:

Given him everything to succeed?  Go look at our average defensive overall rating every year he’s been here and get back to us.

51 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Where as im not against a good QB if they fall to us like Lawrence, Fields, or Wilson.   That statement right there is completely false as they have never given Ryan a competent O-line and defense.  They have given him some good skill position players but those are useless if you don't have the line to give them time to get open and the line to open holes for the RB to take pressure off the passing game.   Don't even get me started on defense thats just been trash since day 1.   The 1 time they did give him a somewhat solid O-line and a avg or so defense was the year he became MVP and led us to a SB.  Then the coach's failed him and the rest of the team in the end.

This is almost the same line that we went to the Superbowl minus 3 players and what about those Micheal Turner and Devonta Freeman years. I disagree with you my brother

54 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

With the same defense minus beasley and Poo

I’ve looked at Rick Smith drafts from Houston and he is very average. A lot of picks that don’t contribute at all which is very similar to TD. **** you could make the case TD was better in the middle to late rounds.  Of all his draft picks, only 7 picks outside the 1st round was given a second contract. He is not the answer in atlanta. 

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/rick-smiths-eleven-draft-classes-are-a-lesson-in-depression-10092488

Edited by FalconDawg28
3 minutes ago, FalconDawg28 said:

I’ve looked at Rick Smith drafts from Houston and he is very average. A lot of picks that don’t contribute at all which is very similar to TD. **** you could make the case TD was better in the middle to late rounds so I’ll have to pass on him as our next GM. 

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/rick-smiths-eleven-draft-classes-are-a-lesson-in-depression-10092488

If you look at every GM in the NFL you will find a lot of picks that don't contribute at all lol.

13 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Depends on who is tapped for the HC position. Rick Smith strikes me as a guy who drafts players based on coaching/team/scheme needs. If any of the top 3 hot HC names (Bieniemy, Smith, Daboll) are selected, I can imagine that their wish list would include a QB that fits their system’s archetype. 

Daboll and Smith are likely to keep him. It's a good strategy.

4 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Daboll and Smith are likely to keep him. It's a good strategy.

I think any new HC will keep Ryan initially. The question is whether or not they draft his replacement. I think they do. Ryan isn’t a bad QB. He’s serviceable in those systems. However the system won’t operate the way its intended without their QB archetype in it. Adjustments will be made initially to suit Ryan’s play style and ability, then when his successor is ready, they can make the change. It won’t be immediate. I’m guessing a season or two. Probably midway through the second is where I’d wager a guess. 

2 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I think any new HC will keep Ryan initially. The question is whether or not they draft his replacement. I think they do. Ryan isn’t a bad QB. He’s serviceable in those systems. However the system won’t operate the way its intended without their QB archetype in it. Adjustments will be made initially to suit Ryan’s play style and ability, then when his successor is ready, they can make the change. It won’t be immediate. I’m guessing a season or two. Probably midway through the second is where I’d wager a guess. 

Daboll doesnt have an archetype and neither does Arthur Smith.