Jump to content

Do you think that Jeff George and Chris Miller would have been successful in Atlanta if they had a defense?


Falcons Fan MVP
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Falcons have basically had 5 quarterbacks since I became a fan. Chris Miller, Jeff George, Chris Chandler, Mike Vick and Matt Ryan. As talks of moving on from Matt Ryan heat up I'm looking back at the Falcons success rate with QB's since 1990.

Obviously Matt Ryan and Mike Vick were good QB's. Chris Chandler was good but injury prone. 

A lot of fans don't agree with me but I think that Jeff George and Chris Miller were both good quarterbacks. I think that Jeff George and Chris Miller could have possibly gotten the Falcons to a super bowl or close to it if they had a good defense that created a lot of turnovers. If Jeff George would have played for the Packers, cowboys or 49ers in the 90's he very easily could have won a ring. 

What do you guys think of the Falcons history of bringing in quarterbacks over the last 30 years? I think that ALL 5 of them could have won a super bowl if they had a better defense. Your thoughts?

 

Edited by Falcons Fan MVP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Falcons Fan MVP changed the title to Do you think that Jeff George and Chris Miller would have been successful in Atlanta if they had a defense?

Jeff George had the talent to do anything with a football that 90% of the people wish they could do at the position...but that didn't account for his brain.  However...I think he could have though.  Chris Miller was underrated as a Falcon QB. Injuries detailed him but I think he had the potential to be the best QB as a Falcon at that time.  He was so smooth..loved his game.  

As to your question...hard to tell.  Could've....should've....maybe?  I do wish Chris would have had a good defense.  Good question.  

Edited by deester11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always liked Chris Miller.

He threw a prettier long ball than anyone else on that list.  He had some fine games, but he's an example of how it takes an entire set of circumstances to make a great career.  

Concussions were not taken seriously back then and he had more than his share.  He said one time that after a game here in Atlanta he couldn't figure out how to find his way home in his car.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I always liked Chris Miller.

He threw a prettier long ball than anyone else on that list.  He had some fine games, but he's an example of how it takes an entire set of circumstances to make a great career.  

Concussions were not taken seriously back then and he had more than his share.  He said one time that after a game here in Atlanta he couldn't figure out how to find his way home in his car.  

Yeah he was actually pretty good when he was healthy. He had a lot of concussions. I saw him interviewed a few years ago and you can see the effects. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I always liked Chris Miller.

He threw a prettier long ball than anyone else on that list.  He had some fine games, but he's an example of how it takes an entire set of circumstances to make a great career.  

Concussions were not taken seriously back then and he had more than his share.  He said one time that after a game here in Atlanta he couldn't figure out how to find his way home in his car.  

Yep.  This.  He could throw it for sure.  He also didn't throw the ball that put you in position to get blown up..lol.  I remember waiting for him to get the starting position. He got hurt a lot though (he had like 5 concussions alone in 94/95)   That's when Bobby Hebert came to Atlanta.

To me Miller had the distinction of playing for some of the most fun teams in the 90's....Too Legit To Quit team was fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Chris Miller was a pretty forgettable QB for Atlanta.  George could have been a 1st ballot HOF with his talent.  Lack of defense didn’t hold George back it was his piss poor attitude 

Not necessarily. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers both have an attitude when they are losing. Both are known to walk off the field without congratulating the winner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Not necessarily. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers both have an attitude when they are losing. Both are known to walk off the field without congratulating the winner.

 

Not to the point where their own teammates disliked them.

 

Brady is just ultra competitive that he isn't afraid to clash with teammates and coaches during a game.

 

Rodgers rubs fans, girlfriends, and his family the wrong way and not his teammates for some reason lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris was a good QB playing for a joke of a team. Some one earlier pointed out he had a beautiful deep ball. When he 'got' the Run and Shoot it was fun to watch. Injuries derailed him from having a much longer and better career.

It's hard to look at his stats now and think much about him, but you have to adjust your lens for his late 80s-early 90s playing era. Passing for 3K put you in the top 10 back then.

Chris was also playing in the era of some 'all-time great' QB talent. Marino, Aikman, Young, Moon, Elway, Kelly, Boomer, Kosar, etc. Sometimes I think he got lost in the clutter. He came into the NFL right when that great QB class of 83 was really hitting their stride.

Edited by Geneaut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Not necessarily. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers both have an attitude when they are losing. Both are known to walk off the field without congratulating the winner.

That’s not at all what I’m talking about.  Having an attitude and having a BAD attitude are two completely different things.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, deester11 said:

Yep.  This.  He could throw it for sure.  He also didn't throw the ball that put you in position to get blown up..lol.  I remember waiting for him to get the starting position. He got hurt a lot though (he had like 5 concussions alone in 94/95)   That's when Bobby Hebert came to Atlanta.

To me Miller had the distinction of playing for some of the most fun teams in the 90's....Too Legit To Quit team was fun. 

I was with you all the way up to Too Legit To Quit, and then I had to bail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, octoslash said:

I always liked Chris Miller.

He threw a prettier long ball than anyone else on that list.  He had some fine games, but he's an example of how it takes an entire set of circumstances to make a great career.  

Concussions were not taken seriously back then and he had more than his share.  He said one time that after a game here in Atlanta he couldn't figure out how to find his way home in his car.  

I liked him too. Very steady and played well under pressure at first but over time all those hits started taking their toll mentally. I’ll never forget a time he was back to pass and he ducked away from a pass rusher that was not even there. He developed a bad case of happy feet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Screaming Brave said:

I liked him too. Very steady and played well under pressure at first but over time all those hits started taking their toll mentally. I’ll never forget a time he was back to pass and he ducked away from a pass rusher that was not even there. He developed a bad case of happy feet. 

He blew his knee out running in the open field. I felt bad for him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...