Updated CBS Sports Mock Draft has us drafting Mac Jones with the 5th pick

Matt Ryan has a $49 million dead cap hit in 2021, which means he ain't going anywhere for at least another season but if the new Falcons GM and head coach love Mac Jones he could be the pick here. Other needs include edge rusher and secondary help.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-jaguars-finally-get-trevor-lawrence-jets-pass-on-qb-with-no-2-pick/

Any mock for 2021 should be ignored until the Falcons have made all their trades.  After trading Ryan, Jones, Matthews, Fowler Jr and Jarrett to get under the salary cap (provided we cut Rico, Carpenter and Bailey) leaves us with enough room to sign our draft class.  Should have three first rounders this year and more next year for the new management and no more salary cap issues.  Just dreaming here.  I love the Falcons not the players that make up the team.  If next year Benkert is starting because Ryan got traded to 49er's I'll still love the Falcons.

16 minutes ago, Someday soon said:

Any mock for 2021 should be ignored until the Falcons have made all their trades.  After trading Ryan, Jones, Matthews, Fowler Jr and Jarrett to get under the salary cap (provided we cut Rico, Carpenter and Bailey) leaves us with enough room to sign our draft class.  Should have three first rounders this year and more next year for the new management and no more salary cap issues.  Just dreaming here.  I love the Falcons not the players that make up the team.  If next year Benkert is starting because Ryan got traded to 49er's I'll still love the Falcons.

Ryan, Jones, Matthews, Fowler and Jarrett getting traded 🤣

Is this what you did in Madden? Because it surely is not happening in real life.

31 minutes ago, KamiKazee27 said:

I haven't watched too much of him. How has he played at Alabama vs Tua? Sark has that offense rolling. 

He has a lot of upside, but you have to wonder how well he would do without that all-star cast. He’s in the perfect situation. He’s still very good, but not 5th overall good. Tua was better in my opinion. 

39 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

They also have Kyle Pitts going #3............

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That may not be as funny as you think. Depending on how he's used. Pitts will be a nightmare for anyone. He's fast enough to beat most LBs and Safeties. He would abuse any CB. 

1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

I love Jones as a prospect, but if we draft a QB first I’ll know this next regime is dumb as rocks. 

Ppl said the same ab Kliff Kingsbury and things are going ok in Arizona so far. Granted matt is better than Rosen but ppl thought Lefleur was an idiot for setting up long term success in drafting Rodgers replacement too. Yes we have other needs, no I wouldn’t go QB at 5 but these new HCs and GMs come in and want to make an immediate stamp on these teams so it may not be as outlandish as it appears 

1 minute ago, Faithful Falcon said:

That may not be as funny as you think. Depending on how he's used. Pitts will be a nightmare for anyone. He's fast enough to beat most LBs and Safeties. He would abuse any CB. 

I think he’s good and will probably be good in the NFL, but you don’t take a TE in the top 3, especially not if you’re the Bengals and have a glaring holes at other bigger positions of need. 

8 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

He has a lot of upside, but you have to wonder how well he would do without that all-star cast. He’s in the perfect situation. He’s still very good, but not 5th overall good. Tua was better in my opinion. 

Let him marinate for a few seasons, he could be a stud. I’m really not a fan of QBs coming in and starting right away, very rarely does it seem to pan out.

26 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Yeah Pitts is gonna be a player. I don’t think we should draft him but I could warm up to it real quick if we did

1 hour ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Ryan, Jones, Matthews, Fowler and Jarrett getting traded 🤣

Is this what you did in Madden? Because it surely is not happening in real life.

If we rip the band aid off (we been out of playoff contention by Thanksgiving three years running) and draft a QB in the first round why would the Falcons then only commit to half measures?  Full measures are needed.  Would it work?  I have no idea.  A team full of young draft picks that the new coach drafted seems like a logical plan to me.  P.S.  never played Madden 

1 minute ago, Someday soon said:

If we rip the band aid off (we been out of playoff contention by Thanksgiving three years running) and draft a QB in the first round why would the Falcons then only commit to half measures?  Full measures are needed.  Would it work?  I have no idea.  A team full of young draft picks that the new coach drafted seems like a logical plan to me.  P.S.  never played Madden 

Theirs a thing called the salary cap and dead money. I can tell you right now, It won't work.

1 hour ago, A-TowN.- said:

Tua had the same, if not better, all-star cast as Mac. I think the biggest difference has a lot to do with the play calling. Kiffin called a lot of down the field passes for Tua for big plays and Mac, even though he has had his share of big passes, plays have been more of a move it down the field.

I think for a QB to come in a replace Tua, win 11 games to all SEC teams, and taking us as the #1 into the playoffs is something special.

Not sure I think he is a #5 pick, but he is a special player!