New Regime Must Stop Fighting An Uphill Battle

FalconsIn2012

Some will call this lazy analysis, but I firmly believe it’s how you build a complete and deep NFL roster.

For all the good TD did over the years, his constant use of 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up in the draft was lazy and short sighted.   It forces you to be dang near perfect with the picks you do have.  History says that’s not how the draft works.

The Cowboys & Patriots built their dynasties using the opposite approach to ours....and having such a top heavy roster, it’s time the Falcons start  being smart in Round 1.  Trade down.  Trade down.  Trade down.  It’s even more prudent when you have such a valuable asset like this year.  The only exception is if they are drafting a franchise QB.  

Here is a solid article that explains it better than I can

Trading Down with First-Round Picks Is a Path to NFL-Title Contention

Jon HartleyApril 23, 2020 5:36 PM

bill-belichik-2.jpg?fit=789%2C460&ssl=1 New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick during the third quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio, December 15, 2019. (Joe Maiorana-USA TODAY Sports)

Patient general managers willing to exploit other teams’ lust for a quick fix can build pro-football dynasties.

As the 2020 NFL Draft gets underway tonight, many teams will likely be scrambling to make trades involving draft picks.

Egregious mistakes have happened during past drafts.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/nfl-draft-trading-down-with-first-round-picks-smart-move/.

If you could have anything you want, how about 5-6 draft picks in rounds 2-4.  As you said, you need to move up to get a new QB, but for the rest of the team, I will take that sweet spot that is rounds 2, 3, and 4. 

I would also look at these 3rd quarter collapses that have become our identity.  I think that with the same personnel we have on the line now, we practice and train hard in 21 and 22 personnel sets.  We would be less explosive, but when you are blowing your own body parts off, it may be time to be less explosive.  You can run 3 WRs out of a 21 set, although that may not technically be a 21.  I would never run an empty backfield with this team.  They are not built to hold up to the pressure a D will apply late in the game. 

I would love to see Hurst and Graham both running routes with 1 WR stretching the field and a loaded backfield.  Ryan would have 3 receivers initially, and both the FB and RB could take a pass in the backfield or release to a slant or sideline if the pressure did not come. 

The great advantage is that the O would stop telling the D what we are running.  We are so ignorant the way we telegraph our plays.  It is hard to believe football professionals are game planning this as it fails repeatedly.

4 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

We do need a big class of new cheap talent coming in and the only way to do that is to stock up on draft picks. I hope the new GM can actually build the trenches this time.

I hear you and I have thought that.  But, if you look at our game plans, it seems we don't work on much but pass protection on the line.  And, I limit that to the line because we do not effectively use backs and TEs to help.  This line is built for speed and mobility.  Given that, the hard work needs to go into run blocking.  Who knows what they could do when coached up properly.  Chris Morgan is not going to do it.

Falconsin2012, sorry for the diversion.  I am not hijacking your thread.  You got me to thinking about the draft and personnel, and I started thinking about how to use that personnel.  I think we are far from utilizing the potential of the players we have on the roster now. 

Back to your point, I agree about trading down when it  makes sense from rounds 1 and maybe 2.  I would also like to trade up out of 5 and 6.  This is not a formula you can always apply, but is a general strategy that I think would work well. 

TDs two best trades was Julio (which was a lot) and the move up to get Grady in the 5th. Most of his other trades range from mediocre to disasters. Sam Baker when Duane Brown is still on the board, Trufant when Rhodes and Slay sitting there, Takk when Watt is there(🤬), McGary when Cody Ford, Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner still there. Not all bad players but why giveaway picks when there's still position depth on the board? I understand going after your guy, but not when "your guy" isn't even ranked as the better prospect. 

Another thing the patriots do is they let guys walk. Just because you draft a player doesn’t mean he has to get paid by you and be a “falcon for life”. If you trust your scouting department, you can get cheap talent for 4-5 years and then let them walk for another rookie or 1-2 yr player. 

55 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

If you could have anything you want, how about 5-6 draft picks in rounds 2-4.  As you said, you need to move up to get a new QB, but for the rest of the team, I will take that sweet spot that is rounds 2, 3, and 4. 

I would also look at these 3rd quarter collapses that have become our identity.  I think that with the same personnel we have on the line now, we practice and train hard in 21 and 22 personnel sets.  We would be less explosive, but when you are blowing your own body parts off, it may be time to be less explosive.  You can run 3 WRs out of a 21 set, although that may not technically be a 21.  I would never run an empty backfield with this team.  They are not built to hold up to the pressure a D will apply late in the game. 

I would love to see Hurst and Graham both running routes with 1 WR stretching the field and a loaded backfield.  Ryan would have 3 receivers initially, and both the FB and RB could take a pass in the backfield or release to a slant or sideline if the pressure did not come. 

The great advantage is that the O would stop telling the D what we are running.  We are so ignorant the way we telegraph our plays.  It is hard to believe football professionals are game planning this as it fails repeatedly.

We did use the FB on pass plays to and that was killing it. Haven't seen much of that in years, but it was giving TB fits. If Smith was just a little faster.

And as someone else mentioned about the OL. We seem to draft for pass protection only. Run blocking is an afterthought, unfortunately. 

No disrespect but the cowboys and the Patriots are not looking like the good examples right now..lol... The Pats drafts has been HORRIBLE and it has caught up to them.... The Ravens is a good example tho

I have no problem trading down but i feel like our team need the opposite.... I feel like our need is those top play making guys...  Give me another top end CB to go with AJ Terrell at pick 4 or 5... Let me get that top pass rusher who blows up up in the offseason and has the matching production.

We need impact players.... We have solid guys

It looks like we are going to have three 5th round picks to go with two 6 round picks to go along with our 1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th round picks.... I would think about trading back in round 2 (but with that pick you could possibly get 1st round talent) but unless someone offers us a ransom to grab a QB..... Im probably staying at 4 or 5

5 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Another thing the patriots do is they let guys walk. Just because you draft a player doesn’t mean he has to get paid by you and be a “falcon for life”. If you trust your scouting department, you can get cheap talent for 4-5 years and then let them walk for another rookie or 1-2 yr player. 

Boom.  The loyalty commitment to save face is ingrained within the Falcons front office and has been allowed to take deep root.  It's a cultural flaw.  If they suck, get them gone.  When they cut McKinley, for a second, I finally saw someone take control and eliminate a bad seed.  We need to do that more often.  

Mr. Blank has treated the Falcons as an investment in family.  He needs to be more ruthless in the Falcons business by making sure he has people in place who will cut bait when they need to.  You can have a class organization and still be savvy in personnel moves that might seem brutal to a "brotherhood or family" but are necessary for the teams betterment and overall health.

All this talk of trading down when the Falcons have no idea what type of systems they'll be implementing next season.

You draft players to fit your scheme.... especially in the lower rounds.

Next year all bets are off. There is a very good chance they'll be moving on from Matt Ryan. Sure he's probably on the roster next year but the Falcons will make moves with the mindset they're going to unload him in a year.

53 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

TDs two best trades was Julio (which was a lot) and the move up to get Grady in the 5th. Most of his other trades range from mediocre to disasters. Sam Baker when Duane Brown is still on the board, Trufant when Rhodes and Slay sitting there, Takk when Watt is there(🤬), McGary when Cody Ford, Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner still there. Not all bad players but why giveaway picks when there's still position depth on the board? I understand going after your guy, but not when "your guy" isn't even ranked as the better prospect. 

I talking only 1st round trades cause they are so costly