I think that the Falcons should go all in on Matt Ryan and try to build a championship caliber roster for his last 3 or so years.

I always think about how the Patriots moved on from Brady. I repeat.........the Pats moved on from Brady!!!! They are currently building for their future. If the Pats can move on from Brady, the Falcons can definitely move on from Ryan with no remorse. If we have seen the best that one Matt Ryan has to offer, than it's time to seriously think about our future! Shts getting real very soon and it's time to think about the team and our future!  

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that Matt Ryan and Julio Jones deserve to play out their 3 year contracts. If it was up to me I would take our top 5ish draft picks and try to build the championship caliber roster that Matt a

I agree completely tbh. Draft a QB in the 2022 draft to take over in a year or two (let Ryan's contract expire after 2023, he deserves to retire here) but focus all the resources outside of that on a

Shouldn't they have been trying to build a championship roster since, oh...1966?  

2 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Building the defense will pay dividends when it comes to expediting the learning process for a new QB as well.. he will get to practice against it, and they will get the ball back for him on Sundays.. just for the love of God, don’t forget about the run game..

i would assume that if arthur smith is our guy run game will be #1 priority

3 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I always think about how the Patriots moved on from Brady. I repeat.........the Pats moved on from Brady!!!! They are currently building for their future. If the Pats can move on from Brady, the Falcons can definitely move on from Ryan with no remorse. If we have seen the best that one Matt Ryan has to offer, than it's time to seriously think about our future! Shts getting real very soon and it's time to think about the team and our future!  

i'm curious to see if the patriots 1. draft a qb early this year, 2. think stidham is their guy, or 3. keep throwing darts at the map through free agency.

Look, man, I love what Ryan has meant to the ATL.  But he hasn't been all that good in a minute.  Give him all you can, he's a planted foot short/medium passer with below average accuracy and declining field awareness with zero game management skill and apparently an anchor keeping him from moving forward.  Ryan's next season will be just like this season, 5 or 6 wins tops.  

Jones will be fine if he stays healthy.  

16 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think that Matt Ryan and Julio Jones deserve to play out their 3 year contracts. If it was up to me I would take our top 5ish draft picks and try to build the championship caliber roster that Matt and Julio deserve. Try to draft good defensive players and a running back or two.

I would try to build a top 10 defense and rushing attack that they deserve to help them out.

Agreed

16 hours ago, caponine said:

No thanks , that will take another 2 years to fully get.

False. More TATF rhetoric. All he needs is a pass rusher, FS, and a couple of RBs. That can be had in one offseason.

I don't think that the Falcons can afford to do anything other than go all-in on Matt Ryan. I think that the first priority of the new regime will be to get him a restructure/extension with a significant pay cut. The salary cap is going to go down hard over the next two years, and the only way that this team can survive the cap problems is going to be to restructure Ryan.

We might be in a better situation with Jones, and I certainly wouldn't restructure/extend Jones.

Coaching and culture is going to make or break the next 5 years. IMHO, the culture problem starts with Blank, and the new people coming in had better get him out of Flowery Branch and keep him up in his box on gameday. The feel-goodness of being on the field and being, "part of the team," has never paid dividends. It's almost entirely unique to Blank and the Falcons, as is the history of blowing huge leads. Maybe, just maybe, the two are related.

1 minute ago, robertap said:

I don't think that the Falcons can afford to do anything other than go all-in on Matt Ryan. I think that the first priority of the new regime will be to get him a restructure/extension with a significant pay cut. The salary cap is going to go down hard over the next two years, and the only way that this team can survive the cap problems is going to be to restructure Ryan.

We might be in a better situation with Jones, and I certainly wouldn't restructure/extend Jones.

Coaching and culture is going to make or break the next 5 years. IMHO, the culture problem starts with Blank, and the new people coming in had better get him out of Flowery Branch and keep him up in his box on gameday. The feel-goodness of being on the field and being, "part of the team," has never paid dividends. It's almost entirely unique to Blank and the Falcons, as is the history of blowing huge leads. Maybe, just maybe, the two are related.

Man that's a good take.

12 hours ago, E. T. said:

The pats moved on from Brady...and he’s quarterbacking a team to the playoffs...the Patriots are a mess 

21 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think that Matt Ryan and Julio Jones deserve to play out their 3 year contracts. If it was up to me I would take our top 5ish draft picks and try to build the championship caliber roster that Matt and Julio deserve. Try to draft good defensive players and a running back or two.

I would try to build a top 10 defense and rushing attack that they deserve to help them out.

What is this? A QB thread in TAFT that makes some common sense? Such a rare sighting!

12 hours ago, E. T. said:

You do realize Brady’s 8 years older than Ryan is?

Didn’t think so. 

Arthur Blank, as loyal as he is, would go for this.  And it would be career suicide for his new GM and Coach.  They want their system, their players and their schemes.  Matt Ryan may not be a part of that overall thought process.  Nor any other other players we currently have on the roster.  I for one wish we could get Matt his ring, but, it may be too late for him with this franchise.  

But, finances and contracts being what they are, Matt is here for at least three more seasons.  Might as well use him to his best abilities.  Start by changing our OL philosophy and get a run game.  

15 minutes ago, Vandy said:

No one player fixes anything on either side immediately.

But better coaching does.

Agreed. But the point remains this is one of the worst defensive drafts for the top 5 in a while. Theirs no Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Bradley Chubb, Myles Garrett, etc like their normally is. I don't think any player is a slam dunk prospect on that side. Parsons and Surtain are the cream of the crop and that is depressing when you're talking about potentially picking between 3-5.

Even though people hate it, BPA is going to be QB or Sewell. Me personally, If Sewell is there you take him and don't even think twice. He is Quenton Nelson on steroids. If theirs one thing you can never have enough of is good Lineman.

15 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Agreed. But the point remains this is one of the worst defensive drafts for the top 5 in a while. Theirs no Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Bradley Chubb, Myles Garrett, etc like their normally is. I don't think any player is a slam dunk prospect on that side. Parsons and Surtain are the cream of the crop and that is depressing when you're talking about potentially picking between 3-5.

Even though people hate it, BPA is going to be QB or Sewell. Me personally, If Sewell is there you take him and don't even think twice. He is Quenton Nelson on steroids. If theirs one thing you can never have enough of is good Lineman.

My guess is there will be just as many future all-pros on defensive side as there will be on the offensive side. Problem is as always, is the randomness of who those players will be. This includes QB as well.

QB is no where near this team’s biggest issue. Coaching by far is, followed by defense and RB. I’m either drafting a defensive guy at 5 or trading down. I’m grabbing my RB in Rd 2. Get those 3 things...especially coaching... right, and we’re a playoff team next year.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

My guess is there will be just as many future all-pros on defensive side as there will be on the offensive side. Problem is as always, is the randomness of who those players will be. This includes QB as well.

QB is no where near this team’s biggest issue. Coaching by far is, followed by defense and RB. I’m either drafting a defensive guy at 5 or trading down. I’m grabbing my RB in Rd 2. Get those 3 things right, and we’re a playoff team next year.

It's not the biggest issue but when you have a new GM, New Coach, a 36 year old QB and a pick between 3-5 with 4 QB talents good enough to go top 10 it becomes a likely scenario.

I am always okay with trading down but you have to have someone willing to trade up. We tried to trade down with Philly last year when they wanted CeeDee Lamb but they weren't willing to give us what we wanted.

5 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

It's not the biggest issue but when you have a new GM, New Coach, a 36 year old QB and a pick between 3-5 with 4 QB talents good enough to go top 10 it becomes a likely scenario.

I am always okay with trading down but you have to have someone willing to trade up. We tried to trade down with Philly last year when they wanted CeeDee Lamb but they weren't willing to give us what we wanted.

You guys keep saying that, but that 35 year old QB is on pace for 4600/25 TDs going all season with no running game and much of year without his #1 WRer. And even still, with just decent coaching this team would be at 9-5. Now....Imagine this team with great coaching, a couple upgrades defensively, a healthy Julio and a stud RB?

Ryans currently a better QB than mayfield, Goff, rivers, Brees, Roethlisberger....all playoff teams not because of better QB play but first and foremost because of good-to-great coaching....followed by decent running games and defense. 

This isn’t rocket science. We need to improve the coaching, who needs to emphasize running the football and fix the defense. If you don’t address that I don’t care who you’re QB is, you’re gonna lose.

I vote for Arthur Smith as our next HC, but anything’s better than the Quinn/Koetter **** show we’ve seen the past few years.

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You guys keep saying that, but that 35 year old QB is on pace for 4600/25 TDs going all season with no running game and much of year without his #1 WRer. And even still, with just decent coaching this team would be at 9-5. Now....Imagine this team with great coaching, a healthy Julio and a stud RB?

Throwing for a bunch of yards while losing every week is nothing to be excited about. He is 2nd in the league in pass attempts of course he is going to have a lot of yards. His YPA is 7.3 which is tied for 17th...His completion % is 28th... His INT % is 18th... His QB Rating is 25th... His TD% on throws is a pedestrian 4.0% which ranks 24th in the NFL. Wanna know the only Starting QBs worse?

Nick Mullens
Jared Goff
Drew Lock
Teddy Bridgwater
Joe Burrow
Nick Foles
Dwayne Haskins/Alex Smith
Daniel Jones
Sam Darnold
Cam Newton

I don't really care if you want to admit it or not, but this is one of if not they worst season for Matt his whole career. His efficiency is terrible across the board.

Now you can blame whatever you want on that...O-Line, RBs, Coaching, Defense, etc but when you are paid 40m a year on average I expect more than what he is giving us. 

Is Matt the only problem? No 
Is Matt the biggest problem? No
Do we need to start preparing for a future without Matt? Yes

10 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Throwing for a bunch of yards while losing every week is nothing to be excited about. He is 2nd in the league in pass attempts of course he is going to have a lot of yards. His YPA is 7.3 which is tied for 17th...His completion % is 28th... His INT % is 18th... His QB Rating is 25th... His TD% on throws is a pedestrian 4.0% which ranks 24th in the NFL. Wanna know the only Starting QBs worse?

Nick Mullens
Jared Goff
Drew Lock
Teddy Bridgwater
Joe Burrow
Nick Foles
Daniel Jones
Sam Darnold
Cam Newton

I don't really care if you want to admit it or not, but this is one of if not they worst season for Matt his whole career. His efficiency is terrible across the board.

Now you can blame whatever you want on that...O-Line, RBs, Coaching, Defense, etc but when you are paid 40m a year on average I expect more than what he is giving us. 

****...I would have never guessed those numbers. ..

16 hours ago, joeyg2033 said:

...also just like ageless wonders who still have a great skillset like Brees, Brady, Big Ben, etc... Ryan has a rapidly fading skillset.  Not exactly the stuff that championship teams are built around.  His role would be strictly bridging the gap to the next franchise qb.  

And what skill set is it that Brees has at 40, or Brady at 43 that Ryan doesn’t have at 35?  It’s surely not arm strength.  All three of those QBs rely on accuracy and anticipation throws.  Ryan has been a really QB his entire career and those QBs who rely on mental mechanics more than physical ones tend to last longer as they get older, as those skills get better as physical ones regress.  

Going to be amazing when we get even a solid play caller how different this offense will look.  Since Dirk has been here, this board has deemed it over for Ryan, Free, Gurley...**** any RB we have, anyone on the offensive line...basically the entire offense is washed.  The players will look vastly different competence wise when they are put in a position to succeed next year.

36 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Nick Mullens
Jared Goff
Drew Lock
Teddy Bridgwater
Joe Burrow
Nick Foles
Daniel Jones
Sam Darnold
Cam Newton

Data-mining is fun, but it doesn’t negate any of what I said.