I think that the Falcons should go all in on Matt Ryan and try to build a championship caliber roster for his last 3 or so years.

Falcons Fan MVP

I think that Matt Ryan and Julio Jones deserve to play out their 3 year contracts. If it was up to me I would take our top 5ish draft picks and try to build the championship caliber roster that Matt and Julio deserve. Try to draft good defensive players and a running back or two.

I would try to build a top 10 defense and rushing attack that they deserve to help them out.

Edited by Falcons Fan MVP

• Falcons Fan MVP changed the title to I think that the Falcons should go all in on Matt Ryan and try to build a championship caliber roster for his last 3 or so years.
21 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think that Matt Ryan and Julio Jones deserve to play out their 3 year contracts. If it was up to me I would take our top 5ish draft picks and try to build the championship caliber roster that Matt and Julio deserve. Try to draft good defensive players and a running back or two.

I would try to build a top 10 defense and rushing attack that they deserve to help them out.

The Falcons shouldn’t go “all in” on anyone at this point. Everything needs to be evaluated before that decision is made.

That being said, my personal opinion is that we shouldn’t go “all in” on Ryan because we’ve already done that for a few years.

While I’m not opposed at all to drafting defense and getting a running game you’re failing to understand that defense is a unit and the running game can be schemed. QB is different than any other position in sports. So it’s not even comparable within itself.

History has shown that you can win with an aging QB when you have an elite or historic defense. Unfortunately those take time to build. Time which Ryan doesn’t have. People want to point to Manning as the standard that Ryan can do it, but Manning was abysmal that year, and was even benched. Not to mention that Denver had a historic defense.

if there’s a QB talent available and the coaches like him, I think that should be the primary responsibility. 

The ONLY shot they would have would be to draft the next Aaron Donald.

When I say that I mean they would need the player(s) to be one of the best in the league in their position(s) DAY ONE.

While possible it is extremely unlikely.

The Matt Ryan era is coming to an end. Hey I love Matt and what he did just like Roddy.

However, just like with Roddy I see that the end is coming and know the team has to move on.

43 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I agree completely tbh. Draft a QB in the 2022 draft to take over in a year or two (let Ryan's contract expire after 2023, he deserves to retire here) but focus all the resources outside of that on a strong run game and defense. It's doubly effective because not only will it help Ryan in his twilight years, but it'll also help the new QB as they're starting out. It's the smart way to do this, especially with a new stadium...AB can't afford a full fledged rebuild.

Sounds like a lot of wasted time to me. New GM, new coach, old QB, old owner(losing patience), top 5 pick.

Please don't overthink this going into the offseason. Don't get caught up in all the mock drafts and predictions. There are no defenders worth a top 5 pick in this draft. Top 5 picks don't come to often unless you're a perennial bad run organization (Browns, Bengals etc.). Just draft a QB and start looking towards the future. If Ryan is still an elite level talent that can take you to the promise land, a top draft pick isn't going to effect that either way. He'll still be here, let him prove it. At the same time, his understudy will be on the roster and ready to go when needed.

I'm sure anyone coming here will have job security since Matt and Julio are aging, and a rebuild will be coming soon. Not this year, but over the next 3 years I see it happening for sure.

New regime isn't taking a QB this year though. If anything, they're going to be like a few of us here, and want to see what Ryan can do with a better OC before taking a QB. 2022 might be the earliest you see a top QB talent taken. We're probably not going all in, but our moves will be along the lines of picking for now and the future.

Blind loyalty is what got us here in the first place.  The Patriots wouldn't have put up with all this.  They kept two or three core personnel, and everyone else was **** near expendable.  The Falcons have three or four times the core people in their mind.  Ain't enough money under any cap scenario to take care of that many core people.  

6 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

All in?  What have we been doing up to now... mailing it in?

6 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

...also just like ageless wonders who still have a great skillset like Brees, Brady, Big Ben, etc... Ryan has a rapidly fading skillset.  Not exactly the stuff that championship teams are built around.  His role would be strictly bridging the gap to the next franchise qb.  

Give him an OC that can call a decent game and fix that defense (which has lost us majority of our games this season). Ryan is going to be the starter for at least one more year (sorry not sorry haters). Once again, Im not against drafting a QB to sit behind him for a year but people expect a new qb to come in and start winning when the defense is the main issue here.

4 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

...also just like ageless wonders who still have a great skillset like Brees, Brady, Big Ben, etc... Ryan has a rapidly fading skillset.  Not exactly the stuff that championship teams are built around.  His role would be strictly bridging the gap to the next franchise qb.  

lets see all those QBs have a defense to help close games. Its not the skillset of Ryan fading. Its this franchise failing him and the offense. Wake up. 

3 minutes ago, ROMERO said:

Give him an OC that can call a decent game and fix that defense (which has lost us majority of our games this season). Ryan is going to be the starter for at least one more year (sorry not sorry haters). Once again, Im not against drafting a QB to sit behind him for a year but people expect a new qb to come in and start winning when the defense is the main issue here.

By the time we build a defense MR will be turning 50. He’s never had much of a D OL OC DL pass rusher. Start this draft trying to find his replacement...it could take several yrs. Great QBs don’t fall off trees lol

5 hours ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I'm sure anyone coming here will have job security since Matt and Julio are aging, and a rebuild will be coming soon. Not this year, but over the next 3 years I see it happening for sure.

New regime isn't taking a QB this year though. If anything, they're going to be like a few of us here, and want to see what Ryan can do with a better OC before taking a QB. 2022 might be the earliest you see a top QB talent taken. We're probably not going all in, but our moves will be along the lines of picking for now and the future.

I don't get it, the only way you are drafting this high again is if you have another terrible season or  trade tons of draft picks to move up. You chances of getting a top 3 QB in 2022, 2023 will be far less drafting if you are 8-8 next year.

Matt Ryan had a good career  and made over 250 million playing QB, but he is not the QB of the future. It seems like people care more about keeping #2 than winning and creating the best environment for the next coaching staff and GM to have success in Atlanta. Watching last Sunday was like watching a re-run of the 2016 Superbowl how many times do we have to watch the same movie before people realize it's time for a new cast of characters. 

My two cents:

There is no quick fix for this team.  Too many holes and bad contracts.   I can see them climbing back to respectability in the next year or two, but becoming a SB contender before 2023 is a stretch.  

So I say build the defense over the next two drafts.   Keep Ryan for ‘21 and maybe ‘22–his contract pretty much requires it—and let the defense gain experience.   Maybe get back to the playoffs in ‘22.  Then the new QB plays on his rookie deal while the defense hits his peak. 

If it works, we get a title window like the Seahawks had from 2012 to 2018.  And we don’t have to score 34 points a game just to have a chance.  

39 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

My two cents:

There is no quick fix for this team.  Too many holes and bad contracts.   I can see them climbing back to respectability in the next year or two, but becoming a SB contender before 2023 is a stretch.  

So I say build the defense over the next two drafts.   Keep Ryan for ‘21 and maybe ‘22–his contract pretty much requires it—and let the defense gain experience.   Maybe get back to the playoffs in ‘22.  Then the new QB plays on his rookie deal while the defense hits his peak. 

If it works, we get a title window like the Seahawks had from 2012 to 2018.  And we don’t have to score 34 points a game just to have a chance.  

Building the defense will pay dividends when it comes to expediting the learning process for a new QB as well.. he will get to practice against it, and they will get the ball back for him on Sundays.. just for the love of God, don’t forget about the run game..

9 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

What if the next three years resemble the last three?  This is why you start building now.