39 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

3-4 and 4-3 dont matter man. Do you know that 290lb ends are rushing as LBs in a 3-4? Donald is playing end in a 3-4. His duties really hasnt changed. Neither has the duties of the 280-290lb LBs. There is little difference. We rush 3 and 5 now. So what will the difference be?

That’s kind of my point. We may already have guys on the team that can fill that need. Fowler is a better 3-4 LB than a 4-3 DE. FO and DJ are the other two LBs and Walker shows flashed. I also believe that Cominksy would thrive as a 3-4 DE. I think Grady could play both NT and DE in a 3-4; but probably fits a 3-4 DE better. We’d still have to draft players but I think it’s a better position than a 4-3. If we do invest in defense in the 1st round I’d prefer to be in the secondary. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve noticed that too. I don’t see anything special about this guy but I’ve seen his name on at least 6 mock drafts so far. I even went to YouTube to get a better in-depth look at him. Dude seems so p

This is why I don't believe in mocks

His name sounds dirty. To be fair 2 sacks on the edge fits in with this team.

44 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Some edge guys play better standing up than putting their hands in the dirt in a 3 point stance. Some play the same and it does not matter.

Fowler played outside in the Rams 3-4 and had his best year. He does not play well as a DE in 4-3 schemes. Swapping to a 3-4 would get the most out of him for sure. I also think it was a mistake to move Davidson inside to UT and try and bulk him up heavier with our current 4-3 scheme. In a 3-4 he could play at his college weight and at the 5tech opposite side of Grady. We would need a hefty 3-4 NT though to make it work or we will get absolutely slaughtered up the middle.

You have to look at the players surrounding before thinking anything at all. I have been talking about this since before we took Ray Edwards. Its not always just one thing, there were many and how you are in a stance doesnt necessary dictate how a well or poorly an OL is able to block you. Sometimes it's just that player and the surroundings. Before we took Fowler, I showed he is a clean up guy and plays well in space as well as in the run, but his skill at getting off the block is terrible. 

5 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

That’s kind of my point. We may already have guys on the team that can fill that need. Fowler is a better 3-4 LB than a 4-3 DE. FO and DJ are the other two LBs and Walker shows flashed. I also believe that Cominksy would thrive as a 3-4 DE. I think Grady could play both NT and DE in a 3-4; but probably fits a 3-4 DE better. We’d still have to draft players but I think it’s a better position than a 4-3. If we do invest in defense in the 1st round I’d prefer to be in the secondary. 

Read the post above. That's simply not how it works. We use both and neither. 

5 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Read the post above. That's simply not how it works. We use both and neither. 

Simply how what works? I’m basically stating that depending which direction the new regime takes determines the players we select. They may feel that we have a specific player for their scheme already on our team.

While I agree with your statement in principle you still draft people based on skills. Weight and height are factors but players still need to possess skills in order to be effective in schemes. You mention Donald but I feel he’s an exception, not the rule. Donald is not only a freak athlete but exceptionally skilled. You can have a 290lb rushing the passer but their success is based on not only size but skill  

That being said I absolutely hated the Fowler signing. I think he benefited greatly from Donald being up front. However I do believe he’s better in a 3-4 than a 4-3. 

7 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Some edge guys play better standing up than putting their hands in the dirt in a 3 point stance. Some play the same and it does not matter.

Fowler played outside in the Rams 3-4 and had his best year. He does not play well as a DE in 4-3 schemes. Swapping to a 3-4 would get the most out of him for sure. I also think it was a mistake to move Davidson inside to UT and try and bulk him up heavier with our current 4-3 scheme. In a 3-4 he could play at his college weight and at the 5tech opposite side of Grady. We would need a hefty 3-4 NT though to make it work or we will get absolutely slaughtered up the middle.

Fowler’s been banged up all year. As has Marlon Davidson. Nobody should be making absolutes on either of them based on 2020 year alone.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:09 AM, DonOfThemBirds said:

The reason why Danielle Hunter made it to the 3rd round of the draft was because he didn't produce much at LSU.

Rousseau had an outstanding 19' season with Miami despite being a raw edge rusher.

Wonder if possible any of the guys who opted not to play this season has a drop in draft comparable to a season of non production in college?

I would have to say that the ones who opted out will be expected to test off the charts.

6 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Wonder if possible any of the guys who opted not to play this season has a drop in draft comparable to a season of non production in college?

I would have to say that the ones who opted out will be expected to test off the charts.

Yeah, I think most of them will have to impress at the combine, prodays, and private workouts.

I'm pretty sure teams will also ask them during interviews what was their personal reasons specifically for opting out of their college season.

2 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Simply how what works? I’m basically stating that depending which direction the new regime takes determines the players we select. They may feel that we have a specific player for their scheme already on our team.

While I agree with your statement in principle you still draft people based on skills. Weight and height are factors but players still need to possess skills in order to be effective in schemes. You mention Donald but I feel he’s an exception, not the rule. Donald is not only a freak athlete but exceptionally skilled. You can have a 290lb rushing the passer but their success is based on not only size but skill  

That being said I absolutely hated the Fowler signing. I think he benefited greatly from Donald being up front. However I do believe he’s better in a 3-4 than a 4-3. 

No, I'm just saying alignment talk is overrated. It doesn't matter. Personnel and coaching is really it.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Fowler’s been banged up all year. As has Marlon Davidson. Nobody should be making absolutes on either of them based on 2020 year alone.

Agreed. Fowler even when healthy though just looks out of place. The same way he struggled in Jacksonville is how he looks for us. Hopefully it pans out considering how much Of our cap he will be eating next season.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:10 AM, Sidecar Falcon said:

Beat me to it. Unless a DE has produced consistently and at a high level, and isn’t considered a “project”; don’t draft him. You’re literally breaking your own heart at that point. 

Vic Beasley and Takk McKinnley co approve of this message.....

:tiphat: