4-10....how high will the draft pick go?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TD TD TD FG TD Need new QB!

I don't want to "build around Matt Ryan" anymore.  We have been doing that for 10 years.   Matt will be 36yrs old next year.  His out passes are starting to float a little - we saw it last week and we

is #4 our ceiling? need to draft a killer at QB - not someone looking to fall down w/ the game on the line.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Yes it was.

‘Ryan was a Manning and Unitas and ACC player of the year  award winner as well on a bad team that did well

Trevor is the closest to Ryan in this draft

This is not true. Ryan won a few awards, but he never was in contention for the Heisman nor was he considered a generational talent. Trevor is the #1 pick on everyone board many Falcons fans didn't think Ryan was better than Redman and wanted Glen Dorsey. 

10 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

No that’s not it all actually fans like you are judging what Matt is now behind OC and a scheme that isn’t a good fit for him.

New QB to fail I don’t want to go through another year x of the lottery coming out that is at QB when I know with the right coach and scheme I got a guy that can win now.

A blind man pretends some rookie is coming in here and is going to be any better than what we have.

Let's say the new GM/HC come in and view a QB at #4 as a franchise guy. You'd seriously pass on possibly cementing arguably the most valuable and hardest position to attain in all of sports for the next 15 years in hopes of turning this around fast enough so we can win with a soon to be 36 year old QB already showing signs of decline?

I actually agree with you, with the right team around Matt he can still win now. However IMO we're so far away from being that team. Matt at this stage in his career isn't someone who can overcome a lot of deficiencies around him. He needs a good oline and strong run game to excel. The chances of a new HC/OC coming in and installing all that around him plus filling all the holes on defense in time before Matt declines even more is extremely slim.

This isn't even considering the cap situation  (Yes I understand that you can be creative, even still, we aren't in a good position), growing pains of learning a new offense, and upcoming decline in other super important offensive pieces like Mack and Julio.

I don't think many people expect a rookie QB to come in a turn this franchise around day 1. It's more about delayed gratification. Being ok with not being a contender for a year or maybe two, even giving up the possibility of being good to build towards something great. Something that the Chiefs understood and because of that won their first Superbowl and set themselves up for 15+ years

Edited by Bobby.Digital
3 hours ago, insight said:

This is not true. Ryan won a few awards, but he never was in contention for the Heisman nor was he considered a generational talent. Trevor is the #1 pick on everyone board many falcon Fans didn’t think Ryan was better than Redman and wanted Glen Dorsey. 

LOL...that’s kinda the point. What fans/media ‘thinks’ is almost always a leading indicator of the wrong thing to do. :ninja:

13 minutes ago, insight said:

This is not true. Ryan won a few awards, but he never was in contention for the Heisman nor was he considered a generational talent. Trevor is the #1 pick on everyone board many Falcons fans didn't think Ryan was better than Redman and wanted Glen Dorsey. 

What? He was ACC player of the year and even talked about as first overall. 
Most fans on this mb are colts. Jake Long went first that year and the dolphins drafted henne. There are articles that Newsome debated sending a giant trade package to move up for Ryan, but ATL grabbed him first

you, sir, most he 25 or seriously a revisionist historian 

7 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Most fans on this mb are colts. Jake Long went first that year and the dolphins drafted henne. There are articles that Newsome debated sending a giant trade package to move up for Ryan, but ATL grabbed him first

He isn't wrong though. Ryan wasn't nearly as highly regarded as someone like Lawrence, not close. If so, Ryan would have been a shoe in number one pick to the Dolphins. Ryan was even locked in as the #1 player on our draft board until a week before the draft. 

1 minute ago, Bobby.Digital said:

He isn't wrong though. Ryan wasn't nearly as highly regarded as someone like Lawrence, not close. If so, Ryan would have been a shoe in number one pick to the Dolphins. Ryan was even locked in as the #1 player on our draft board until a week before the draft. 

He’s very wrong. Ryan was the clear #1 QB in the 08 draft. A dam near can’t miss. 
‘Trevor is certainly a well regarded prospect, but let’s not forget 08 and 2020 is very different in types of QBs sought and both as prospects were highly touted.’

trevor, however, was a a 5 star recruit. In that manner he was certainly “more elite”

but college performance wise and draft ready Ryan was up there

4 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

He’s very wrong. Ryan was the clear #1 QB in the 08 draft. A dam near can’t miss. 
‘Trevor is certainly a well regarded prospect, but let’s not forget 08 and 2020 is very different in types of QBs sought and both as prospects were highly touted.’

trevor, however, was a a 5 star recruit. In that manner he was certainly “more elite”

but college performance wise and draft ready Ryan was up there

Ya, Trevor has been designated a top 5 NFL pick since he got into college. I think it's also important to note that Ryan was redshirted his freshman year and had 4 years of starting experience. All these guys in 2020 have 1-2 years of starting experience and some of them in JV college conferences.

It's different for sure.

10 minutes ago, PuppyMonster said:

Ya, Trevor has been designated a top 5 NFL pick since he got into college. I think it's also important to note that Ryan was redshirted his freshman year and had 4 years of starting experience. All these guys in 2020 have 1-2 years of starting experience and some of them in JV college conferences.

It's different for sure.

And this is it. What you added

‘it’s asinine to knock a player to plump up another player.

will Trevor be great? He could. He also hasn’t had a Joe burrow kind of crazy season. And you’re right on Ryan, tons of proven tape at the time.

fields couldn’t beat Fromm. We saw the egg Wilson laid against coastal Carolina (he’s a one year wonder). Lance? I don’t think any of us know what he’s really like as a prospect. And COVId messed up a lot of time, seasoning and preparation for these QBs.

‘heck, Newman didn’t play.

‘I kinda like the idea of trading back into first for Mac Jones.

‘but this is a dicey year to draft a QB with a top 5 pick if you have a viable option at QB

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

Comparing Ryan to a Generational talent like Trevor Lawrence is revisionist history.  Matt Ryan had two great years of his 4 years at Boston College , Trevor Lawrence started a few games into is Freshman year and is already considered the best player in College football.   ACC player of the year is not Heisman candidate Matt Ryan has been a great NFL QB maybe Trevor never will  but stop trying to equate his college career to Trevor Lawrence there no worthy comparison.   Trevor has lost two games throughout his entire highschool and college career was considered one of the best QB  5 star recruits of all time. 

Edited by insight
3 minutes ago, insight said:

Comparing Ryan to a Generational talent like Trevor Lawrence is revisionist history.  Matt Ryan only started 2 years of his 4 years at Boston College, Trevor Lawrence started a few games into is Freshman year and is already considered the best player in College football.   ACC player of the year is not Heisman candidate Matt Ryan's has been a great NFL QB but stop trying to equate his college career to Trevor Lawrence there no worthy comparison.   Trevor has lost two games throughout his entire highschool and college career was considered one of the best QB  5 star recruits of all time. 

BAM!!!

13 minutes ago, insight said:

Comparing Ryan to a Generational talent like Trevor Lawrence is revisionist history.  Matt Ryan had two great years of his 4 years at Boston College , Trevor Lawrence started a few games into is Freshman year and is already considered the best player in College football.   ACC player of the year is not Heisman candidate Matt Ryan has been a great NFL QB maybe Trevor never will  but stop trying to equate his college career to Trevor Lawrence there no worthy comparison.   Trevor has lost two games throughout his entire highschool and college career was considered one of the best QB  5 star recruits of all time. 

Never did that. I replied about him being the#1 overall QB prospect in his class.’you think Lawrence is generation? If so, you’re delusional.

mike Vick was generational. Possibly Luck coming out. Maybe Elway in the day.

‘Trevor has more weapons than most pro teams 

1 hour ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Let's say the new GM/HC come in and view a QB at #4 as a franchise guy. You'd seriously pass on possibly cementing arguably the most valuable and hardest position to attain in all of sports for the next 15 years in hopes of turning this around fast enough so we can win with a soon to be 36 year old QB already showing signs of decline?

I actually agree with you, with the right team around Matt he can still win now. However IMO we're so far away from being that team. Matt at this stage in his career isn't someone who can overcome a lot of deficiencies around him. He needs a good oline and strong run game to excel. The chances of a new HC/OC coming in and installing all that around him plus filling all the holes on defense in time before Matt declines even more is extremely slim.

This isn't even considering the cap situation  (Yes I understand that you can be creative, even still, we aren't in a good position), growing pains of learning a new offense, and upcoming decline in other super important offensive pieces like Mack and Julio.

I don't think many people expect a rookie QB to come in a turn this franchise around day 1. It's more about delayed gratification. Being ok with not being a contender for a year or maybe two, even giving up the possibility of being good to build towards something great. Something that the Chiefs understood and because of that won their first Superbowl and set themselves up for 15+ years

At this point in time it’s pure speculation what I want and what we should do.If the new regime decide that’s the direction we head in my points count for naught.

As for a QB changing the direction of a franchise Matt Ryan did exactly that when arrived here and for factors we all know could quite possibly have 2 chips already.

What I’m laughing about the most is how everyone thinks Ryan’s regressed to the stage of we need to go a new direction.I don’t agree with that the reason for this is the team has been mismanaged and Ryan has been rolled bowled and arseholed with OCs that were just poor choices that aren’t maximising what he is.

Fans judge Ryan on what he is off of Dirk Koetter farken he’ll no.I bet they get a OC in here that gets back to a WC style offense behind a running game Ryan’s a different animal as a QB.

19 minutes ago, insight said:

Ha ha @Vandy and @athell and @Knight of God @kiwifalconI’ve got to add yiu to this.

‘generational talent. Wow. Poor sunshine is getting MB love. He’s doomed to fail 

18 minutes ago, insight said:

News flash Lawrence isn’t a generational talent.

You put Lawrence in this **** show he’s getting killed aswell.

They say this crap every year about these guys coming out.

Joe Burrow is better than the mentioned.

Guys like Andrew Luck were considered that where are these guys right now.

21 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Never did that. I replied about him being the#1 overall QB prospect in his class.’you think Lawrence is generation? If so, you’re delusional.

mike Vick was generational. Possibly Luck coming out. Maybe Elway in the day.

‘Trevor has more weapons than most pro teams 

I don't proclaim to know what Trevor will become at the Pro-level but he is WIDELY considered the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck.  Dude has been on proscouts radar since High School, I suggest you look into his resume, he is NO JOKE.  However I was one of those who wasn't sold on Matt Ryan but he proved me wrong. Ryan has many more athletic  limitations than say a Trevor Lawrence but he proved himself more than capable of winning in the NFL with the right pieces around him.  With that said he is 35 years old, and never recovered from the 2016 Superbowl. It's time to find our next new Lion to lead the Falcons moving forward. 

Edited by insight

I think it's funny when every year a guy comes out that is "generational". Well let's see if when they're done if they have the career that MR has had. There are so many things that can happen, injuries, wrong offensive fit, bad coaching, poor teams, etc.

MR is VASTLY underrated on these boards, and it is a shame.

Just now, insight said:

I don't proclaim to know what Trevor will become at the Pro-level but he is WIDELY considered the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck.  Dude has been on proscouts radar since High School, I suggest you look into his resume, he is NO JOKE.  However I was one of those who wasn't sold on Matt Ryan but he proved me wrong. Ryan has many more athletic  limitations than say a Trevor Lawrence but he proved himself more than compatible of winning in the NFL with the right pieces around him.  With that said he is 35 years old, and never recovered from the 2016 Superbowl. It's time to find our next new Lion to lead the Falcons moving forward. 

I’ve never put him down a bit. However, his body of actual performance at college is great. But let’s not proclaim him the GOAT. Matt was a very high;y touted draft prospect with multiple awardss. That’s it. That was the original post.

‘no need to putt Matt down like he was chop liver.

‘now back to draft. If you think we have a shot in hades at Trevor, you’re high

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I think it's funny when every year a guy comes out that is "generational". Well let's see if when they're done if they have the career that MR has had. There are so many things that can happen, injuries, wrong offensive fit, bad coaching, poor teams, etc.

Bam

and Ryan was highly touted as a draft prospect. He went 3 overall and almost first.

‘geez these folks

7 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

News flash Lawrence isn’t a generational talent.

You put Lawrence in this **** show he’s getting killed aswell.

They say this crap every year about these guys coming out.

Joe Burrow is better than the mentioned.

Guys like Andrew Luck were considered that where are these guys right now.

Bam

btw how did Lucks career end versus where Ryan’s is going?

18 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I like Trevor, but Trevor is a bit better and more polished than Herbert. He’s a great prospect. Generational? Nah, not even close. 
‘we don’t have a chance to get him anyway.

‘the drop off from Trevor to other QB prospects is huge. They all got huge question marks