Gono is better than Kaleb...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gono always looks good whenever he plays.

Misleading information dude. Stop the spread. Their PFF grade is essentially the same.  One is playing for Henry and Arthur Smith. The other for Dirk Koetter. One hasn’t committed a pen

And Tuioti-Mariner is better than Cominsky.   Discuss

Just now, Lornoth said:

I think he's better suited for OT, but man McCray is not the answer. 

He came in last year and with limited snaps at Guard he looked good.. He can play both but the neeed this year was at guard before these last 2 games.

Ive been said i think he has shown he should get starting snaps at Tackle or Guard..... Luckly he is a RFA..... If we are going to get snaps for him its at Guard

With this staff is not out of the question that a starting G or( dare I say) OT was sitting on the bench. McGary has been better than advertised with considerable upside. If he had, I dont know maybe 5-10 penalties on the year could complain ? He has zero.

I just refuse to believe that a professional paid pro football team could miss Gono being better option, regardless of how inept they (the whole crappy offensive staff) may be. I mean if we are worried about McKay interfering with a GM decisions , I would think he could make the call of starting the Gono if it was that obvious.

35 minutes ago, atljbo said:

He came in last year and with limited snaps at Guard he looked good.. He can play both but the neeed this year was at guard before these last 2 games.

Ive been said i think he has shown he should get starting snaps at Tackle or Guard..... Luckly he is a RFA..... If we are going to get snaps for him its at Guard

Game Atlanta rushed for the most yards last year was the game Gono started at RG.  His film is good.  Another team will sign him if Atlanta lowballs him.

1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

Gono gets blasted whenever we don't swing help his way. He's shown some flashes but he's not at all been what people say he has. 

That being said, he fits the power running scheme Koetter seems to like more than the outside zone scheme every other OLinemen we have does, so he's been okay in the run game. 

As for DE... everybody sucks. 

Yup.

47 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I feel like this is the wrong question... McGary has had a solid 2nd year...... The question to me is why hasnt Gono been given a shot at LG..... He got the first team snaps the first day of training camp then no more

Needed him to be Swing for the team.  He is a team guy first.  Always has been.  Do you see the first or second guy in the endzone celebrating TD's with the scoring teammate (Gono).  Do you see the one olineman always helping up teammates after tackles (Gono).  His motor does not stop.  He should be a lot better player right now.  

1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

Gono gets blasted whenever we don't swing help his way. He's shown some flashes but he's not at all been what people say he has. 

That being said, he fits the power running scheme Koetter seems to like more than the outside zone scheme every other OLinemen we have does, so he's been okay in the run game. 

As for DE... everybody sucks. 

Haven't seen that much at all.  Certainly not this week vs JPP or Bosa.  I must have missed those games.  Best run of the game this week.  Left side using Gono and Lindstrom.  Gono helped Smith up of course.  

12 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

With this staff is not out of the question that a starting G or( dare I say) OT was sitting on the bench. McGary has been better than advertised with considerable upside. If he had, I dont know maybe 5-10 penalties on the year could complain ? He has zero.

I just refuse to believe that a professional paid pro football team could miss Gono being better option, regardless of how inept they (the whole crappy offensive staff) may be. I mean if we are worried about McKay interfering with a GM decisions , I would think he could make the call of starting the Gono if it was that obvious.

I think Atlanta viewed him as a D3 player that probably will not make it long.  Once here they were like **** he's a lot more athletic and physical than we thought.  But plans were he would be a depth player at best.  He does well is first preseason as a 21 yr old rookie, but Falcons already knew they were drafting a RT from a Power 5 school.  Then, Gono crushes his 2nd preseason and now it's like what the **** do we do now but save face.  When he plays he destroys and pushed guys around.  Suh could not push him around yesterday on bull rushes.  No organization will start an undrafted D3 guy over any 1st round picks of the same age until their contract is up.  But Atlanta is beginning to figure out he is a GONOBEAST and one the steals of the 2018 draft class.  If Gono had been in D1 P5 school he would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder.  I had one agent say Top 15 pick.

19 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

I think Atlanta viewed him as a D3 player that probably will not make it long.  Once here they were like **** he's a lot more athletic and physical than we thought.  But plans were he would be a depth player at best.  He does well is first preseason as a 21 yr old rookie, but Falcons already knew they were drafting a RT from a Power 5 school.  Then, Gono crushes his 2nd preseason and now it's like what the **** do we do now but save face.  When he plays he destroys and pushed guys around.  Suh could not push him around yesterday on bull rushes.  No organization will start an undrafted D3 guy over any 1st round picks of the same age until their contract is up.  But Atlanta is beginning to figure out he is a GONOBEAST and one the steals of the 2018 draft class.  If Gono had been in D1 P5 school he would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder.  I had one agent say Top 15 pick. The Falcons with the right scheme have a stud young ol in Matthews, Gono, Mack/Henneesey, Lindstrom, McGary.  Insert him LG rest of way and let him make his mistakes now.  Then have him ready to roll for next year at LG.

15 minutes ago, Gonobeast said:

Haven't seen that much at all.  Certainly not this week vs JPP or Bosa.  I must have missed those games.  Best run of the game this week.  Left side using Gono and Lindstrom.  Gono helped Smith up of course.  

He was getting help all game in passblocking yesterday. As I said he's better in the run game because he fits what Koetter does better.

5 minutes ago, Gonobeast said:

The Falcons with the right scheme have a stud young ol in Matthews, Gono, Mack/Henneesey, Lindstrom, McGary.  Insert him LG rest of way and let him make his mistakes now.  Then have him ready to roll for next year at LG.

I haven't seen anything from Hennesy since there was no preseason, but this^^ would definitely look good on paper.

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

Not opposed to it if McGary is good to go at RT. Like I said McCray isn't the one. I hate the OLine by committee we've run this year at LG and RT.

Just now, Lornoth said:

He was getting help all game in passblocking yesterday. As I said he's better in the run game because he fits what Koetter does better.

By design then.  He didn't need it against Bosa.  McGary gets the same thing.  They all do.  That's just the gameplan. 

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

I feel like this is the wrong question... McGary has had a solid 2nd year...... The question to me is why hasnt Gono been given a shot at LG..... He got the first team snaps the first day of training camp then no more

Needed him to be Swing for the team.  He is a team guy first.  Always has been.  Do you see the first or second guy in the endzone celebrating TD's with the scoring teammate (Gono).  Do you see the one olineman always helping up teammates after tackles (Gono).  His motor does not stop.  He should be a lot better player right now.  

1 minute ago, Gonobeast said:

By design then.  He didn't need it against Bosa.  McGary gets the same thing.  They all do.  That's just the gameplan. 

He got it against Bosa too. And yes of course it's by design, that's because they know he needs it. And no, everybody doesn't get it, Gono gets it and everyone else has to man up. Or, at least, that's how we've been running it.  I like Gono as a person and as swing but he isn't the best Olinemen we have like you're implying. 

1 minute ago, Bunchy Carter said:

I haven't seen anything from Hennesy since there was no preseason, but this^^ would definitely look good on paper.

I did not understand why the staff at season start was auto putting Hennesy at starting LG after being a college C.  Thought this was a bad idea for a drafted future C.  That's part of the problem with the ol in Atlanta.  Move guys around too much.  Let these guys master a position, get comfortable.  This then allows the oc to alter schemes and gameplans easier based on his teams strengths and weaknesses that are showing. 

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

He got it against Bosa too. And yes of course it's by design, that's because they know he needs it. And no, everybody doesn't get it, Gono gets it and everyone else has to man up. Or, at least, that's how we've been running it.  I like Gono as a person and as swing but he isn't the best Olinemen we have like you're implying. 

I never he said he was the best, but he took Bosa 1 on 1 the entire game.  In fact about broke his knee on the first play.

Just now, Gonobeast said:

I never he said he was the best, but he took Bosa 1 on 1 the entire game.  In fact about broke his knee on the first play.

If so that's him injuring Bosa, not beating him. But no, it was not 1v1, we swung help to Gono all game long. The only time we let Gono go 1v1 on anyone was vs Mack and Mack took his lunch (Not Gono's fault at all of course, Mack roasts basically anyone 1v1). You're a tad personally invested, I think. Not a bad thing, it's good to have a favourite, underdog player. But you're not seeing the help he's getting or the way he's struggled in pass protection. 

He's not struggling in these games.  Mack 1st half yes.  Aldon Smith Cowboys he destroyed.  With the amount of sacks given by the Falcons this year Gono gave up a 1/2 sack to Mack.  In nearly 4 full games.  Imagine if he learned the same position each week for the last 3 years.  He tore Joey Bosa up and JPP and Suh did nothing yesterday.  Sacks were on the left side.

1 minute ago, Gonobeast said:

He's not struggling in these games.  Mack 1st half yes.  Aldon Smith Cowboys he destroyed.  With the amount of sacks given by the Falcons this year Gono gave up a 1/2 sack to Mack.  In nearly 4 full games.  Imagine if he learned the same position each week for the last 3 years.  He tore Joey Bosa up and JPP and Suh did nothing yesterday.  Sacks were on the left side.

It's not all sacks. Mack destroyed our entire offense because he was in the backfield almost immediately every snap. Koetter was stubborn and refused to give Gono help that game.

And yes, the pressure came from the left for two reasons. One: McCray is the worst OLinemen we have right now and Carpenter is still injured. And 2: We were swinging all our help to Gono on the right so our left side wasn't getting help. Like I said, I like Gono and I like his upside, but he has struggled in pass blocking. 

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

lol really? He has mostly shown results on the field with starters in actual NFL games tho. :tiphat:

Other than Lindstrom, they’ve all stunk. I’m including Mack and Mathews, McGarey, Carp and yes, Jonathon Gono. :ninja: 

Nobody’s saying it because Koetter’s been so bad, but our OL has been an issue all year.