2020 ACC Championship #2 Notre Dame vs #3 Clemson

1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

This is the committee's worst nightmare.  They want Notre Dame in the playoffs but will look bad if they do it. This might be the year they decide to go to eight teams...:lol:

Or it might be the year they go back to two teams. Just play the Bama-Clemson game now. No one else passes an eye test

The absolute easiest thing to do is go to 8 teams and let the power 5 conference champions automatically make the playoffs regardless of record or rank. Seed them 1-5. Then the committee can pick teams 6-8 at large. Seed them 6-8. 

Edited by Screaming Brave
30 minutes ago, Screaming Brave said:

Or it might be the year they go back to two teams. Just play the Bama-Clemson game now. No one else passes an eye test

The absolute easiest thing to do is go to 8 teams and let the power 5 conference champions automatically make the playoffs regardless of record or rank. Seed them 1-5. Then the committee can pick teams 6-8 at large. Seed them 6-8. 

now you're on to something

30 minutes ago, HotLantaFalcon said:

only reason N. Dame is in the playoff discussion is because they beat a Clemson team that wasn't QB'd by Lawrence. Think it's pretty obvious at this point they would have lost that game as well if Trevor had been the starter

clemson's defense was the difference today, they only scored 1 point more today than they did last time.

As it stands now, my playoff system would be:

1. Alabama (SEC champ)

2. Clemson (ACC champ)

3. Ohio State (Big 10 champ)

4. Oklahoma (Big 12 champ)

5. Oregon (PAC-12 champ)

6. Texas A&M (at large)

7. Georgia (at large)

8. Cincinnati (mandatory highest ranked non-P5 at large)

Cincinnati at Alabama

Georgia at Clemson

Texas A&M at Ohio State

Oregon at Oklahoma

8 minutes ago, Screaming Brave said:

As it stands now, my playoff system would be:

1. Alabama (SEC champ)

2. Clemson (ACC champ)

3. Ohio State (Big 10 champ)

4. Oklahoma (Big 12 champ)

5. Oregon (PAC-12 champ)

6. Texas A&M (at large)

7. Georgia (at large)

8. Cincinnati (mandatory highest ranked non-P5 at large)

Cincinnati at Alabama

Georgia at Clemson

Texas A&M at Ohio State

Oregon at Oklahoma

i would get extreme and say that only conference champions get in, so that the other 3 teams are non-p5, but what you've got there is worlds better than the current system.

i just don't think teams that aren't conference champions should be in. like, a&m and georgia had their shot at bama and they got worked, give other teams a chance.

sec fans are about to jump all over me :D

9 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i would get extreme and say that only conference champions get in, so that the other 3 teams are non-p5, but what you've got there is worlds better than the current system.

i just don't think teams that aren't conference champions should be in. like, a&m and georgia had their shot at bama and they got worked, give other teams a chance.

:flame:

To me this year is another example of the four team playoff working. Tell me honestly who is going to beat Bama or Clemson this year? Most years the first round games have been duds anyways so why expand it. I can’t remember a year where I’ve seen more than 3 teams I thought could play with the eventual champions and had the resume to prove it. Putting Bama our Clemson against a 7 or 8 seed isn’t a playoff it’s scrimmage. 

1 hour ago, UAB_DAWG said:

To me this year is another example of the four team playoff working. Tell me honestly who is going to beat Bama or Clemson this year? Most years the first round games have been duds anyways so why expand it. I can’t remember a year where I’ve seen more than 3 teams I thought could play with the eventual champions and had the resume to prove it. Putting Bama our Clemson against a 7 or 8 seed isn’t a playoff it’s scrimmage. 

I just don’t like the fact that 5 conferences are automatically deemed the “elites” but yet in a four team playoff, one of them has no shot at a national title and the whole shebang is at the hands of a committee. Eight teams would enable it to be decided on the field and make it less about a committee. Sure you might have a dud of a game but I’m sure you’d have a good one as well. 

2 hours ago, Screaming Brave said:

I just don’t like the fact that 5 conferences are automatically deemed the “elites” but yet in a four team playoff, one of them has no shot at a national title and the whole shebang is at the hands of a committee. Eight teams would enable it to be decided on the field and make it less about a committee. Sure you might have a dud of a game but I’m sure you’d have a good one as well. 

That should be the key right there, "decided on the field", not in a hotel meeting room. 

And yes, I'm sure some of the first round games would be duds, but every now and then a boise state beats an oklahoma and it's still a hugely talked about game 14 years later.

7 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

There again asks the question, who deserves to be in the playoff? Do you want the absolute hottest teams at the moment or do you want the teams that have the best record and best year overall?

Notre Dame got exposed last night against Clemson, but in reality they were undefeated and only lost in the ACC championship game, which in reality they shouldn’t have to have played in since they already beat Clemson. Both teams beat each other and have only one loss. Depending on the criteria, Clemson gets in on the hottest team question but on the overall season, ND deserves equal consideration as Clemson. 

That is the reason I think an At Large bid should be a consideration for a P5 team like Notre Dame in the 8 team playoff. I like your idea of non P5 teams as ALL the at large but just say Alabama lost to a 2-loss Florida last night in a game they shouldn’t have had to play to prove they were the best in the SEC. In your plan, Bama is out. I personally think a balanced consideration between the two questions should be used. 

6 hours ago, Screaming Brave said:

I get what you’re saying about earning it in the field vs in a board room and giving everybody a shot but I just don’t remember a year where I’ve looked at the number 7 or 8 team and thought they have the ability or resume to compete against number 1 or 2. This playoff committee’s objective has been to crown the best in college football as national champion. In my opinion that objective has been met each and every year. Now when Alabama, Clemson and an occasional challenger no longer sit a notch above everybody else and there’s more parody at the top I could see the need to expand. I’ve always been in favor of the 6 team playoff personally but until Alabama and Clemson come back down to earth I don’t see much changing. 

8 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Now when Alabama, Clemson and an occasional challenger no longer sit a notch above everybody else and there’s more parody at the top I could see the need to expand. I’ve always been in favor of the 6 team playoff personally but until Alabama and Clemson come back down to earth I don’t see much changing. 

:lol: