Jump to content

Dimitroff to Interview for Lions GM; Pioli Interviewing as well


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I will say this......Any NFL team could "do worse" than Thomas Dimitroff.   He does hit on a nice percentage of his draft picks overall - he had some really bad years but over his 13yrs w/ Falcons, he probably hit on 50% of the draft picks - which is a decent percentage.

And he would have had a Superbowl ring with the Falcons if not for the infamous playcalling in the second half.. he had some whiffs for sure, but we were as close to a title as we've ever been.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whi wud they intervuu hm TD sux lol

Not sure why anyone would think TD wouldnt have a market. Has been exec of the year at least once and has had good draft success, despite some shortcomings. Dont let your personal dislikes get in the

I will say this......Any NFL team could "do worse" than Thomas Dimitroff.   He does hit on a nice percentage of his draft picks overall - he had some really bad years but over his 13yrs w/ Falcons, he

2 hours ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

You do realize most likely our next GM won’t be as good as TD? Did he have some faults? Sure, but honestly I believe it was coaching. We should of had 2 SBs.

I agree.   The odds that the next GM will be better than Dimitroff are small.   Would be a good hire for Detroit - he probably will get the gig.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have said for a long time that DQ is better suited for College or HS, because he is a great guy, who kids love. Also, parents are generally involved in the recruiting process, and I think most parents would love a guy like him to coach their kid. I hope he goes that route, because he would be a great molder of young men. Good luck to him!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, falcon app said:

TD is a good talent evaluator. It would be interesting to see how he would do with less owners involvement. I feel like Blank and Mckay never gave him a chance to bring his own coach and the famous falcon filter restricted his draft choices.

 

I think more of our woes are on coaching and possible owner meddling than the GM was. Quinn was garbo, and he was the one TD was responsible for giving him what he wanted/needed. He also went through the Smitty & Nolan 'lets be multiple on defense' thing and the 'let's try to be the Packers now at the drop of a hat' thing after they shellacked us in that playoff game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think TD is attractive to many. The quite truth, that many outside of Atlanta recognize but often gets missed here, is that Atlanta is a step beyond most of the NFL franchises in its requirements for HCs and GMs. AB will not stop till he falls over or the Falcons win a championship. Teams like the Lions would be elated with "regular shot at playoffs." That will not satisfy ownership or fans in Atlanta. From that perspective, we have graduated.

AB has done "fill the stadium" which was a focus when he first purchased the team. My first season tickets commanded a price of $25 per seat per game! During the Mike Smith era, AB did "consistent playoff contender." Then someone pressed the pause button. Any success Dan Quinn had was actually Kyle Shanahan success due to the perfect QB/OC marriage that led to QB/offensive consistency that was unparalleled in the history of the NFL in many ways (look at how few 3rd downs that team ever faced and any list of QB efficiency stats you like). The DQ firing was a releasing of the pause button by AB. AB and the fan base still have expectations that "championship" is the goal. He'll expect any "rebuild" to be quick and each season to be obviously productive toward the goal. Thankfully we have arrived at a place where "playoffs" are unfulfilling to ownership. In his mind, playoffs are where the quest for the goal begins. 

Any organization that is still striving to emerge from the swamp of despair could take a big step forward with TD. If pared with the right HC and blessed with good fortune, he gives the added perk of a championship ceiling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I think TD is attractive to many. The quite truth, that many outside of Atlanta recognize but often gets missed here, is that Atlanta is a step beyond most of the NFL franchises in its requirements for HCs and GMs. AB will not stop till he falls over or the Falcons win a championship. Teams like the Lions would be elated with "regular shot at playoffs." That will not satisfy ownership or fans in Atlanta. From that perspective, we have graduated.

AB has done "fill the stadium" which was a focus when he first purchased the team. My first season tickets commanded a price of $25 per seat per game! During the Mike Smith era, AB did "consistent playoff contender." Then someone pressed the pause button. Any success Dan Quinn had was actually Kyle Shanahan success due to the perfect QB/OC marriage that led to QB/offensive consistency that was unparalleled in the history of the NFL in many ways (look at how few 3rd downs that team ever faced and any list of QB efficiency stats you like). The DQ firing was a releasing of the pause button by AB. AB and the fan base still have expectations that "championship" is the goal. He'll expect any "rebuild" to be quick and each season to be obviously productive toward the goal. Thankfully we have arrived at a place where "playoffs" are unfulfilling to ownership. In his mind, playoffs are where the quest for the goal begins. 

Any organization that is still striving to emerge from the swamp of despair could take a big step forward with TD. If pared with the right HC and blessed with good fortune, he gives the added perk of a championship ceiling. 

This here is the reason I hope we do a deeper and wider search than just a coordinator from a team with a good record for our next HC. DQ came from Seattle where there is a defensive HC. You have to be sure the coordinator isn't  riding the HCs coattails.

Two of the best HCs hire recently have been Mcvay and Vrabel. Mcvay was not even a coordinator and Vrabel's Texans defense was a worse than the year before under Crennel. The teams that hired them must have done their home work.

Hopefully the Falcons don't get lazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, falcon app said:

This here is the reason I hope we do a deeper and wider search than just a coordinator from a team with a good record for our next HC. DQ came from Seattle where there is a defensive HC. You have to be sure the coordinator isn't  riding the HCs coattails.

Two of the best HCs hire recently have been Mcvay and Vrabel. Mcvay was not even a coordinator and Vrabel's Texans defense was a worse than the year before under Crennel. The teams that hired them must have done their home work.

Hopefully the Falcons don't get lazy.

agreed.   sometimes the OC or the DC isn't the best coach on the staff.

look at Jon Harbaugh.   He was hired same year Mike Smith was 2008.   He was a special teams coach.   He has rebuilt that team twice now.

The "let's look at the hot coordinator from one of the best teams" approach - been there/done that - maybe it works but to me it is more about the individual coach himself.   You make good point above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, falcon app said:

This here is the reason I hope we do a deeper and wider search than just a coordinator from a team with a good record for our next HC. DQ came from Seattle where there is a defensive HC. You have to be sure the coordinator isn't  riding the HCs coattails.

Two of the best HCs hire recently have been Mcvay and Vrabel. Mcvay was not even a coordinator and Vrabel's Texans defense was a worse than the year before under Crennel. The teams that hired them must have done their home work.

Hopefully the Falcons don't get lazy.

I wonder if Vrabel is looking good due to Smith...Similar to how Quinn looked good due to Shanahan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JDaveG said:

If only because the message can't get stale because the players move on every 3-4 years.

This is true. Of course that happens with most NFL coaches...ala Smitty here, Pete Carroll’s window closed as Seahawk players (Sherman, E.T. Etc)  grew tired of his message there too. 
 

Tom Coughlin of giants was another one who’s message got stale after a run of success. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vandy said:

This is true. Of course that happens with most NFL coaches...ala Smitty here, Pete Carroll’s window closed as Seahawk players (Sherman, E.T. Etc)  grew tired of his message there too. 
 

Tom Coughlin of giants was another one who’s message got stale after a run of success. 

 

Agreed. I really think DQ would be a phenomenal college coach. He can get fast results, has pretty straightforward schemes that allow players to play without over thinking, and he is an exceptional short term motivator. He got off kilter after the SB collapse and made some dumb moves. As part of his firing he should have been forced to take Koetter with him wherever he goes for the next decade. 

 

Still think we should have kept TD as he would be legendary by now had we gotten to/won the superbowl the times we were in position. Thats not on the GM. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...