How likely do you think it is that the Falcons draft a QB this year?

Falcons Fan MVP

4 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

3rd round type guy pretty likely. 1st round, I don't think so, unless they feel it is possible/necessary to get a Trevor Lawrence.

I think you're right. I don't think the incoming regime is going to want to take any flack right off the get-go by drafting a QB high in the 1st round who has almost no chance on playing any meaningful minutes before 2023 with other obvious urgent needs on defense.

1 minute ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

With Matt Ryan's cap hit he's pretty much safe another 2 years. But the quarter back class is very good this year. If ever there was a year to draft a QB. On the other hand Matt Ryan still probably had a good 4-5 years left in the tank with a good offensive coaching staff.

We can cut him next offseason post 6/1 and save 17m towards our cap. We can trade him post 6/1 this year and save 1m or next year post 6/1 and save 23m. How is that safe for 2 years?

We will also be saving money by getting rid of just about any other big contract we have going into that 2022 season. Dante Fowler I am looking at you. Sure we will have dead money for these things but that's the cost of fixing an overpaid aging roster. You eat the cost so you can have flexibility later.

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

I think you're right. I don't think the incoming regime is going to want to take any flack right off the get-go by drafting a QB high in the 1st round who has almost no chance on playing any meaningful minutes before 2023 or maybe even 2024 with other obvious urgent needs on defense.

2023/2024?! If we had a young QB we drafted in the 1st right now, Ryan would be riding the bench after the performances these last 4 weeks. Ryan could go out there and stink up the joint next year and by midseason get benched. It would all depend on how Ryan is playing. Heck, Hurts was only a 2nd rounder and you see it did not even take a full year before the Eagles yanked Wentz.

5 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

We can cut him next offseason post 6/1 and save 17m towards our cap. We can trade him post 6/1 this year and save 1m or next year post 6/1 and save 23m. How is that safe for 2 years?

We will also be saving money by getting rid of just about any other big contract we have going into that 2022 season. Dante Fowler I am looking at you. Sure we will have dead money for these things but that's the cost of fixing an overpaid aging roster. You eat the cost so you can have flexibility later.

2023/2024?! If we had a young QB we drafted in the 1st right now, Ryan would be riding the bench after the performances these last 4 weeks. Ryan could go out there and stink up the joint next year and by midseason get benched. It would all depend on how Ryan is playing. Heck, Hurts was only a 2nd rounder and you see it did not even take a full year before the Eagles yanked Wentz.

Based on Ryan's play over all, I don't see him having a four-game stretch next year where he plays so bad he gets benched. He's been solid up until Derp Koetter's Yesteryear's Vanilla Vertical offensive scheme. Pretty confident he will bounce back with a better run game and another year of our OL working together as a unit.

Also doubt they would want to throw a promising rookie QB in to a starter's role and risk having him get blown up and lose his confidence and maybe never recover. With better OL play and better run game, he might could handle things, but with better OL play and a better run game, Ryan will be able to play better than any rookie. We'll see how the incoming GM and HC decide how to handle things.

14 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Dirk Koetter would get the new QB's bell rung quickly.

An alternative to drafting a QB:

I am not confident we pick an early QB this year.  There are a handful of holes to fill, for sure.  So picking a good S/DB or RB or pass rusher makes sense in the long run.

I think/know Ryan is on the decline.  If he didn't fight back after the Super Bowl you'd be really crazy to think this year is going to make him play angry next year.  He's done.  But his job is secure for a couple seasons.  Nobody would take him in trade that would be willing/able to pay us out, he'd make a good backup but he would cost more than most starters.  He can still make good plant-foot passes if and only if Jones or Ridley are open.  But that's not helpful in the NFL as evidenced by our consistent performance recently.  

I think it also makes sense to grab an early RB and some secondary players if we're not going to play a QB for a couple years.  Since 2021 is going to be an extension of this season and adding the inevitable scheme changes with new staff, go ahead and build for the 2023 season instead of picking a standout QB and benching him until he trades out.  

To be clear, I believe there are at least 11 QBs in the draft 2021 who could walk in and do better than Matt Ryan will do next year (which will be worse than he has done this year).  We'll lose to some of them in 2021 for sure.  But no way we have a coach with the huevos to bench him.  So why waste a draft pick?  Spent all season losing, pick a winner running back and let everyone else fight for Fields and Lawrence.  Then get the best available QB in 2022 draft.

Speaking of ACC QBs that will be attractive in 2022 or 2023...Sam Howell has eaten all of Lawrence's records alive and done so with lesser line, lesser receivers, lesser running backs.  Just saying.  

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

With Matt Ryan's cap hit he's pretty much safe another 2 years. But the quarter back class is very good this year. If ever there was a year to draft a QB. On the other hand Matt Ryan still probably had a good 4-5 years left in the tank with a good offensive coaching staff.

No way Matt Ryan has four to five years left no way.. not here.. and not at a high level either

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Wentz and Hurts...

I don’t think it’s in round 1 but I would be very surprised if they didn’t take one. I don’t think Matt is done by any means, but he has had an off season and he isn’t getting younger. When I make that statement on age it isn’t just level of play, but how long can he keep bouncing up when he gets pounded? We need at a minimum a good backup, and at most an eventual replacement for Matt. Gotta start looking for that guy, because though he is a fan favorite, don’t think the FO sees starter potential in Benkert (nor do I).

5 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

An alternative to drafting a QB:

I am not confident we pick an early QB this year.  There are a handful of holes to fill, for sure.  So picking a good S/DB or RB or pass rusher makes sense in the long run.

I think/know Ryan is on the decline.  If he didn't fight back after the Super Bowl you'd be really crazy to think this year is going to make him play angry next year.  He's done.  But his job is secure for a couple seasons.  Nobody would take him in trade that would be willing/able to pay us out, he'd make a good backup but he would cost more than most starters.  He can still make good plant-foot passes if and only if Jones or Ridley are open.  But that's not helpful in the NFL as evidenced by our consistent performance recently.  

I think it also makes sense to grab an early RB and some secondary players if we're not going to play a QB for a couple years.  Since 2021 is going to be an extension of this season and adding the inevitable scheme changes with new staff, go ahead and build for the 2023 season instead of picking a standout QB and benching him until he trades out.  

To be clear, I believe there are at least 11 QBs in the draft 2021 who could walk in and do better than Matt Ryan will do next year (which will be worse than he has done this year).  We'll lose to some of them in 2021 for sure.  But no way we have a coach with the huevos to bench him.  So why waste a draft pick?  Spent all season losing, pick a winner running back and let everyone else fight for Fields and Lawrence.  Then get the best available QB in 2022 draft.

Speaking of ACC QBs that will be attractive in 2022 or 2023...Sam Howell has eaten all of Lawrence's records alive and done so with lesser line, lesser receivers, lesser running backs.  Just saying.  

The highlighted part of the quote above needs to be revisited about this time next year. You will either be deemed and anointed a football prophet or lose your job as one of the 1,000 arm chair GMs on this board (myself included) LOL. That’s a bold prediction on your part. I like your confidence even though I hope you are wrong. 

41 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

The highlighted part of the quote above needs to be revisited about this time next year. You will either be deemed and anointed a football prophet or lose your job as one of the 1,000 arm chair GMs on this board (myself included) LOL. That’s a bold prediction on your part. I like your confidence even though I hope you are wrong. 

You have been a fan 6 years longer than I have.  I defer to your wisdom.  And we feel the same pain right now.  

Personally I think Ryan has been great for the team and I wish him success.  I think another season like this will be rough on his legacy.  

We all know what the Falcons need now...

Bart era striped pants!

2 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

You have been a fan 6 years longer than I have.  I defer to your wisdom.  And we feel the same pain right now.  

Personally I think Ryan has been great for the team and I wish him success.  I think another season like this will be rough on his legacy.  

We all know what the Falcons need now...

Bart era striped pants!

Those uniforms from the Bart era were soooo good. I miss them. 

42 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I think it's likely because Matt Schaub will be 40 years old next season. They could draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd round with plenty of upside like a Sam Ehlinger to be a QB2 and groom to potentially be a successor to Ryan.

Ehlinger is a great kid.  Really smart and would make a good "next guy".  He could use a season or so to learn.  He's a brick and has a good arm.  For someone to pick later and groom he's a good choice.  6'3" 230-ish, pretty fast, confident and coachable.  Same high school as Brees and Foles.  He's got a lot going for him off field too.  

13 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Ehlinger is a great kid.  Really smart and would make a good "next guy".  He could use a season or so to learn.  He's a brick and has a good arm.  For someone to pick later and groom he's a good choice.  6'3" 230-ish, pretty fast, confident and coachable.  Same high school as Brees and Foles.  He's got a lot going for him off field too.  

Yep, he's good at hitting his guys in stride and has good ball placement which reminds me of Drew Brees when he was at Purdue.

He's built similar to Tim Tebow. Oddly enough, I've been seeing him being compared to a Tim Tebow if could actually throw with accuracy and better mechanics. Both share the same leadership qualities.

I like that comparison because Tim Tebow would be doing great things in the NFL if could actually throw the football lol. Especially in today's NFL.

13 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Yeah I’ve been reading about him. He might be a good fit

9 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yep, he's good at hitting his guys in stride and has good ball placement which reminds me of Drew Brees when he was at Purdue.

He's built similar to Tim Tebow. Oddly enough, I've been seeing him being compared to a Tim Tebow if could actually throw with accuracy and better mechanics. Both share the same leadership qualities.

I like that comparison because Tim Tebow would be doing great things in the NFL if could actually throw the football lol. Especially in today's NFL.

Ehlinger Reminds me of Brett Favre  

Slow down. I’m not saying he IS Favre  I’m just saying he's built and throws like Favre. He actually kinda looks like him a little too. Ehlinger, King and the kid from SMU are the only prospects I think who are worthy of being drafted and being groomed outside the 1st round. The rest are Meh to me. 

6 minutes ago, ShaneFalco said:

Ehlinger Reminds me of Brett Favre  

Slow down. I’m not saying he IS Favre  I’m just saying he's built and throws like Favre. He actually kinda looks like him a little too. Ehlinger, King and the kid from SMU are the only prospects I think who are worthy of being drafted and being groomed outside the 1st round. The rest are Meh to me. 

The kid from SMU has some skills for sure

10 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

The kid from SMU has some skills for sure

I’ve watched a lot of his games and he does things that are so surprising for his height and size. He flicks off these lasers out of nowhere. 50 yard frozen ropes. But he doesn’t look an inch taller than Brees and he’s quiet the entire game drinking and dunking and then, boom. Rocket ball. 
He’s definitely interesting as a prospect.