books

Marce Lolopes

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 1:03 PM, Marce Lolopes said:

can you recommend any books? I don't know what to read

On 12/15/2020 at 1:10 PM, Baby Dik Dik said:

Blood Meridian

Most anything by Cormac McCarthy is top notch, but some of his stuff is more accessible than others.  Blood Meridian is an outstanding book but can be off-putting for some.  For accessibility, I'd recommend No Country for Old Men and The Road.  Also, check out Daniel Woodrell (Winter's Bone and Woe to Live On).  He's got an absolutely tremendous writing voice.  Finally, I'm a fan of David Poyer.  He writes naval fiction, some modern era and some from the Civil War.  His most recent series is about a war with China - here's hoping its not prescient.

On 12/15/2020 at 1:03 PM, Marce Lolopes said:

can you recommend any books? I don't know what to read

I've two more authors to recommend.  The first is Bernard Cornwell. He writes historical fiction, mostly about pre-medieval England, and also about the Napoleonic Wars.  Start with The Winter King.  It's the first of three volumes telling a unique version of the Arthurian legend.  I've read the series three times and will no doubt read it a few more.  The second author is James Sallis.  He's a fellow Phoenician and I'm proud to call him a friend.  James is known for a remarkably spare noir writing style.  Start off with Drive.  If you like it, he wrote a sequel as well as many other novels, all of them uncommonly short.

8 hours ago, JOEinPHX said:

I've two more authors to recommend.  The first is Bernard Cornwell. He writes historical fiction, mostly about pre-medieval England, and also about the Napoleonic Wars.  Start with The Winter King.  It's the first of three volumes telling a unique version of the Arthurian legend.  I've read the series three times and will no doubt read it a few more.  The second author is James Sallis.  He's a fellow Phoenician and I'm proud to call him a friend.  James is known for a remarkably spare noir writing style.  Start off with Drive.  If you like it, he wrote a sequel as well as many other novels, all of them uncommonly short.

The Sharpe series is phenomenal. I have almost the entire collection on my shelf from college. You could always count on a very cathartic climax when the villain whose spent the entire novel bring a prick/b@stard gets absolutely sh*t on when Sharpe goes into brutal mode. For some reason a European aristocrat going "You can't do that, don't you know who I am?" before getting smacked the **** down never got old

Wish I gotten further into Saxon tales before Last Kingdom became a thing

6 hours ago, AF89 said:

The Sharpe series is phenomenal. I have almost the entire collection on my shelf from college. You could always count on a very cathartic climax when the villain whose spent the entire novel bring a prick/b@stard gets absolutely sh*t on when Sharpe goes into brutal mode. For some reason a European aristocrat going "You can't do that, don't you know who I am?" before getting smacked the **** down never got old

Wish I gotten further into Saxon tales before Last Kingdom became a thing

It was especially satisfying when Sergeant Hakeswill finally got his, wasn't it?  I tried to watch the BBC series, but it was so low-budget that it really demeaned the books.  The Last Kingdom is much better done, but still can't live up to the writing.

If you haven't read the Winter King series, do so at your first opportunity.  In my opinion, it's absolutely Cornwell's best effort, and a really novel take on Arthurian legend..

• 1 month later...