Why our next HC hire should be a boring one.

The thought of re-creating Kansas City South sounds very appealing on the surface because we have seen the recipe for the last NFL champion.  I understand this is a copycat league but few copycats actually experience the highs of those they seek to emulate.  See the long list of Belichick disciples that have mostly failed as head coaches.  Insert young offensive guru who will become the next Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan (see why Adam Gase is still a HC).  The reality is that we will have Matt Ryan as our starting QB for 2020 and likely even 2021 due to his contract.  We need a coach and offensive coordinator that will get the most out of him and provide him with a strong running game.  Any coach should see the talent they have on the roster and put them in the best position to be successful.  This is what Smitty did in his early years.  He had a young and developing talent base and made limiting mistakes and using the run game to aid his young quarterback and also win the time of possession to help an undermanned defense.   Even Quinn hired KS who had a proven track record for the ground game during his time in Washington and Houston.  The explosive plays are important but this offseason should be about getting back to basics.  We can turn this thing around in a year or two but we can't make the mistake of falling for the fantasy that we can just emulate the high powered offense of the Chiefs.

I am all in for Smith, or Raheem. Raheem and co have this defense ballin out. Imagine if he gets to bring in an offensive coordinator, who can provide our team with a true WC scheme and a run game. 

look at what it did for Ryan Tannehill. There is no way on earth Tannehill is better then Our Gun Slinger.

Edited by AxManBigFan
3 minutes ago, AxManBigFan said:

I am all in for Smith, or Raheem. Raheem and co have this defense ballin out. Imagine if he gets to bring in an offensive coordinator, who can provide our team with a true WC scheme and a run game. 

look at what it did for Ryan Tannehill. There is no way on earth Tannehill is better then Our Gun Slinger.

I think our HC will be an offensive guy

4 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Yes he is..if he is our HC who could we bring in has an OC.who won't get poached. That's why I say offensive HC and keep morris as DC

Any new HC will want to bring in his own staff, but if Morris is our HC maybe Mike McDaniels the RB coach for the 49ers

i believe he is the run game coordinator not the RB coach

Edited by AxManBigFan
9 minutes ago, AxManBigFan said:

Any new HC will want to bring in his own staff, but if Morris is our HC maybe Mike McDaniels the RB coach for the 49ers

i believe he is the run game coordinator not the RB coach

Right that's what makes this hiring more important than any other. I feel if we go with Morris or any other DC we will be going thru the same process all over again. Two year max then gets poached for a HC gig. Me personally tired of those days brother. Give me a Andy Reid  Mike Holgrem type someone here for the long haul. Win, lose or draw as long as we are competitive and building a culture. Not this present day garbage we have been witnessing since 2011

54 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

The thought of re-creating Kansas City South sounds very appealing on the surface because we have seen the recipe for the last NFL champion.  I understand this is a copycat league but few copycats actually experience the highs of those they seek to emulate.  See the long list of Belichick disciples that have mostly failed as head coaches.  Insert young offensive guru who will become the next Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan (see why Adam Gase is still a HC).  The reality is that we will have Matt Ryan as our starting QB for 2020 and likely even 2021 due to his contract.  We need a coach and offensive coordinator that will get the most out of him and provide him with a strong running game.  Any coach should see the talent they have on the roster and put them in the best position to be successful.  This is what Smitty did in his early years.  He had a young and developing talent base and made limiting mistakes and using the run game to aid his young quarterback and also win the time of possession to help an undermanned defense.   Even Quinn hired KS who had a proven track record for the ground game during his time in Washington and Houston.  The explosive plays are important but this offseason should be about getting back to basics.  We can turn this thing around in a year or two but we can't make the mistake of falling for the fantasy that we can just emulate the high powered offense of the Chiefs.

Not a fan of having a "boring" coach!  I've had enough of that, already....I want a younger guy with "fire in his gut"!!!  Not sure who that might be right now, though.  I guess we'll find out soon enough ---  

47 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I think both would be great, but I truly believe that AB & RM will hire the best minority candidate. I think they have their eyes dead set on EB.

It takes two to tango.  Bienemy will likely be the most in demand coach this offseason and right now I would say the Texans are the most attractive job with a franchise QB already in place. 

We should hire the best person for the job that can get the most out of this team. We have too much talent to play this bad.

Our offense should be carrying this team with the amount of talent we have. If I am an offensive coach, this would be my first choice. People love to say the Texans and the Texans have a great QB, but QB's can't carry an offense by itself.

We have the best pair of WR's in the NFL. An offensive line loaded with talent that would excel in a zone blocking scheme. An under utilized tight end. And a former MVP QB who has a good 3 years left.

On the other side of the ball, you have talent at all three levels. We need to continue to add playmakers but no reason for this defense to be this bad.

With the right coaching staff, we should have a top 10 defense and offense which should lead us into the playoffs.

37 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

Not a fan of having a "boring" coach!  I've had enough of that, already....I want a younger guy with "fire in his gut"!!!  Not sure who that might be right now, though.  I guess we'll find out soon enough ---  

By boring, I don't mean lacks a sense of urgency.  I just mean we need a meat and potatoes guy right now to right what is wrong with this team.  We need to get back to basics and play to our rosters strength because I can't imagine we are going to see a full reboot given our financial commitments to Ryan and Julio. 

1 hour ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Is he a minority? I ask, because I will bet my paycheck, that the best minority HC candidate is going to be the next HC of the AF.

I guess that leaves Bienemy, Raheem and Saleh? 

But Arthur might hire a black GM and white head coach as well.

I agree with you that I think Arthur wants more diversity in the falcons leadership.

18 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

We should hire the best person for the job that can get the most out of this team. We have too much talent to play this bad.

Our offense should be carrying this team with the amount of talent we have. If I am an offensive coach, this would be my first choice. People love to say the Texans and the Texans have a great QB, but QB's can't carry an offense by itself.

We have the best pair of WR's in the NFL. An offensive line loaded with talent that would excel in a zone blocking scheme. An under utilized tight end. And a former MVP QB who has a good 3 years left.

On the other side of the ball, you have talent at all three levels. We need to continue to add playmakers but no reason for this defense to be this bad.

With the right coaching staff, we should have a top 10 defense and offense which should lead us into the playoffs.

I agree with a lot of what you say but with the way Ryan has looked this year, the window on his career may be closing more quickly than we want to admit. We are really lacking on the DL outside of Grady and need a ballhawk or two in the secondary.   

Edited by autigerfan
1 hour ago, AxManBigFan said:

**** no on Morris.

The same reason ppl want this and that coach are the same reasons they don't want this or that coach (see what I did there).  I agree it is a copy cat league and ppl want someone who can create the same magic (or look what he did with that offense/defense).  Its all the same

Edited by KCFalcon22
missing word

I'm pretty bored with our HC now.  I was bored with the last one too.  

I'd be all in for a newfangled young whip who takes movie pictures of their opponents playing and holds their OC and DC accountable to write plays to beat that team.  

Someone correct/inform me, you need to go back many years to find a Lombardi winner who didn't rely on running backs and tight ends as a keystone of their offense.  We have some really good receivers.  But some defenders cover them sometimes so maybe a coach who understands how dynamic this game can be?  Too boring?

3 hours ago, KCFalcon22 said:

The same reason ppl want this and that coach are the same reasons they don't want this or that coach (see what I did there).  I agree it is a copy cat league and ppl want someone who can create the same magic (or look what he did with that offense/defense).  Its all the same

The history of the league has shown that the big name coach rarely brings championship success.  Andy Reid was an unknown QB coach in Green Bay when he got his first chance with the Eagles.  Doug Pederson similarly wasn't on anyone's radar.  Mike Tomlin only had one year of coordinating experience and John Harbaugh was known more for his special teams work than anything else.  The list of high profile HC candidates that have failed is a long one.  I just don't think we should rule out anyone just because they aren't on the short list of names that everyone else is looking at.