All in on Trey Lance?

Number2

5 minutes ago, ryantlanta said:

I think Trey Lance could be the next Mahomes. Take him and let him learn from Ryan for 2-3 seasons while hopefully Ryan can pull a miracle out ALA John Elway and win a late career super bowl 🤷🏼‍♂️

No, if not for Lawrence or Fields trade down. The "second tier" of QBS are going so high because there are so many QB needy teams (Atlanta is NOT one of them). This is a roster that needs to be reshapped at it resembles a Frankenstein roster. Everyone one loves to complain about DK and how his cruddy schemes need to be replaced but turn around and say Ryan needs to be replaced as well. It makes no sense. 

Get this man a defense and an OC that can actually call a game before "giving up" on him. The new staff may think differently but I would rather get draft capital for future years instead of a QB who isnt going to help this team on day 1. 

He could be. He could also be countless other highly drafted QBs that are busts. In fact, if Mahommes wasn’t in Andy’s system, I doubt he’d have been nearly as successful as a pro to this point. Andy makes QBs look great. 

That’s  why those eager to ditch Matt seriously have no clue how hard it is to find a Ryan in the college ranks. 

If we have a top five pick or so, a betting man says a new head coach and gm will draft the ‘qb of the future’, whether it’s Lance or Wilson. It’s what you do drafting that high with an aging QB. You might never draft that high again without a total meltdown. 

Having said that, that same betting man would be crazy to bet on any drafted QB being a successful pro, because history says they’ll fail.

4 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

He could be. He could also be countless other highly drafted QBs that are busts. In fact, if Mahommes wasn’t in Andy’s system, I doubt he’d have been nearly as successful as a pro to this point. Andy makes QBs look great. 

That’s  why those eager to ditch Matt seriously have no clue how hard it is to find a Ryan in the college ranks. 

If we have a top five pick or so, a betting man says a new head coach and gm will draft the ‘qb of the future’, whether it’s Lance or Wilson. It’s what you do drafting that high with an aging QB. You might never draft that high again without a total meltdown. 

Having said that, that same betting man would be crazy to bet on any drafted QB being a successful pro, because history says they’ll fail.

Your post makes a lot of sense but you lost me on the part about PM success because of AR. I mean sure Andy does a great job with QBs but IMO PM would succeed pretty much wherever he landed. He’s truly a generational talent. P Mahomes does things that can’t be coached. 

6 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Id venture to guess they would trade down at that point as those QBs are only that high because of the QB needy teams, Id feel more comfortable getting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd after a trade back. I dont get the notion that you have to be drafted top 5 to be a great QB:

Currently, there are 10 starting QBs that have been drafted in the top 10, none of them have won a SB. I agree with you that its hard to get a top 5 pick but that doesnt mean anything. I hope the new staff trades back for better capital. Worst case you draft a guy in the 2nd-3rd round, have him sit behind Matt until we move on. Start the young guy, either hes the next QB of the future or you finally invest in a first rd QB. This isnt going to be a quick fix unless the next HC can get the most out of this team.

1 minute ago, Atl Falcon said:

Your post makes a lot of sense but you lost me on the part about PM success because of AR. I mean sure Andy does a great job with QBs but IMO PM would succeed pretty much wherever he landed. He’s truly a generational talent. P Mahomes does things that can’t be coached. 

Well, it’s obviously one man’s opinion. I just highly doubt he’d have been anywhere near as successful in Chicago, the other team who took a QB in the top ten, or any of the other teams in the top ten that year, really.

Andy had already built a playoff team by the time Mahommes arrived. I’m not faulting him. I just think he was wildly lucky to have landed with a QB whisperer like Andy, and an established roster. 

26 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Right now Lance is my top prospect we should select. He has all the physical tools to be great at the next level. My only question on him would be how raw of a prospect he is. Draft him and let him sit behind Ryan for a season or two.  

You don't draft a top 5 player and sit him for two years.  If anybody sits, it will be Ryan. If he doesn't like it he can complain.  Ask to restructure his contract to make it palatable for a team to trade for him. Or hold the clipboard for two years until he goes away.  That's about it.  This team, with a new coach, gm and qb are about the future, not the past.  That's why the new qb will play right away,

6 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

You don't draft a top 5 player and sit him for two years.  If anybody sits, it will be Ryan. If he doesn't like it he can complain.  Ask to restructure his contract to make it palatable for a team to trade for him. Or hold the clipboard for two years until he goes away.  That's about it.  This team, with a new coach, gm and qb are about the future, not the past.  That's why the new qb will play right away,

And what happens when you draft a QB in the top 5, and he clearly is being outplayed by the veteran QB?  Totally agree it's about the future, but statistically a QB drafted in the 1st round is a 50/50 proposition on whether or not that QB ends up being successful.  This scenario is exactly why you have to weigh drafting a player at a position you already have high level talent, and would that draft capital be better spent at another position.  

16 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

Yeah the new drafted QB (if there is one) will NOT play right away unless something happens to Ryan in training camp or he simply retires. Ryan is going to be the starter until his contract is done. Deal with it. You Ryan haters on this board are not so bright.

1 minute ago, joeyg2033 said:

Most top 5 drafted QBs aren’t in a position where they can be allowed to sit and absorb the game. We’re in an advantageous position to have that luxury.

Ryan isn’t a bad QB, he’s just declining. The right system can prolong his career a bit. Long enough to get the new guy acclimated. A highly drafted, raw QB prospect like Lance will need to be seasoned a bit. I say, at least a year; unless Ryan absolutely $hits the bed.

Ryan wouldn’t be holding anyone’s clipboard at the start of next year, unless a prospect comes along that is experienced, and as knowledgeable of NFL defenses/schemes as Ryan is; which won’t be the case.

This isn’t a bad thing. Lance will have an opportunity to learn under a good QB. One with extensive knowledge on a few different offensive schemes. This is best case scenario for us. Throwing a raw QB to wolves immediately isn’t a wide decision. Sometimes you have to let the meat marinate. 

1 hour ago, joeyg2033 said:

Lance would not be ready to play day 1 no matter who drafts him.

Rushing him out there will get you in situations that will ruin him before he can learn anything and develop.

Even Baker Mayfield was intended to sit a year until Tyrod Taylor got hurt. Same situation with Herbert until Taylor got hurt there as well.

Trevor Lawrence needs to sit a year just because the Jets are that terrible. They won't, which is why I think his potential career will be in the toilet.

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

Well, it’s obviously one man’s opinion. I just highly doubt he’d have been anywhere near as successful in Chicago, the other team who took a QB in the top ten, or any of the other teams in the top ten that year, really.

Andy had already built a playoff team by the time Mahommes arrived. I’m not faulting him. I just think he was wildly lucky to have landed with a QB whisperer like Andy, and an established roster. 

Agreed. I don't think it is even debatable.

19 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Lance would not be ready to play day 1 no matter who drafts him.

Rushing him out there will get you in situations that will ruin him before he can learn anything and develop.

Even Baker Mayfield was intended to sit a year until Tyrod Taylor got hurt. Same situation with Herbert until Taylor got hurt there as well.

Trevor Lawrence needs to sit a year just because there Jets are that terrible. They won't, which is why I think his potential career will be in the toilet.

So you're saying we should draft a QB and sign Tyrod Taylor to get hurt. 

Is this a parody thread about me stanning for Zach Wilson? Mahomes is unique, but I feel like Zach Wilson can do certain unique things that Mahomes and rodgers do like the fake keepers, Shovel passes, and selling the PA so well. His running will also benefit our RBs. My top three QBs: 1. Trevor 2. Wilson 3. Fields.