Can Matt Ryan bounce back next year?

Falcons Fan MVP

Just now, ShaneFalco said:

I could see DEN. Cause Elway is lazy. 
I could see WASH. Cause Rivera needs a healthy vet and they are in rebuild for a couple years. 
SF maybe because there’s the connection and success. Would rejuvenate his career and Ryan is much healthier than Jimmy. 
Vikinkgs? I think they stay with Cousins for now. That’s a wash. 

Titans just paid a boat load for their QB. No way. 
Browns. No. 
Bears.....Doubt it. Nagy runs that Reid offense. He needs a gun in the draft. 

Giants. Yeah, maybe. But I bet they would draft another QB to develop  too.  

Wasn't saying they'd trade for him, because we can't trade him, it's impossible. Just saying who would be noticeably improved. 

10 hours ago, Knight of God said:

He needs a good OC

A REAL running back 

A defense that gets him more chances

I think we have a shot

Perfectly stated. And those aren’t unreasonable requests for any TEAM or QB that wants to be competitive consistently. Even the best QBs have some or all of those pieces to help them. 

11 hours ago, Knight of God said:

He needs a good OC

A REAL running back 

A defense that gets him more chances

I think we have a shot

Defense is actually pretty close. Check.

RBs aren’t THAT hard to come by. Get a system fit. What’s the system? Dirk’s? Lol

Any OC might be an upgrade to Dirk at this point. Bonus points if it’s a permanent move by being the HC.

20 minutes ago, wnyfalconfan said:

It's $9 million. So thats the earliest he could be released. 

Not really. He could be moved; poor cap management move, as early as June 2nd of 2021, iirc? But...to get under the Rule of 51 which starts in March of 2021. Matt needs to restructure. Hint...he is staying at least another year probably 2.

Get the heir but fix the dang Coaching problem please. Heir should come last. Maybe not for a couple years if he has a big rebound year. It’s not a physical issue for Ryan.

1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

If we cut or trade Ryan next year we lose an extra 10 million compared to keeping him. And we're already 25 million over the cap.

Yep. Even if you made it under Top 51 by avoiding a restructure to his contract, that’s the only way he gets moved before start it 2021...by NOT restructuring and somehow tearing down enough cap space elsewhere. But that adds more dead money to 2022.

Fact is; a major rebuild isn’t even possible this offseason. It would be a 2-3 year project.

Easier to win now and rebuild with better cap for rebuilding after that 2-3 year window for a quick reboot. Look at Rivers at age 39. Rodgers is 2 years older and gets to play for the guy that should’ve been promoted to run the offense here. Suddenly, Rodgers is an MVP candidate for the first time in years.

1 hour ago, Rings said:

His response to mine made no sense, not sure how you got that from what he said responding to me.

Your post was about Ryan being the best QB taken in the top 5 lately. That's a fair assessment. I brought up Mahomes because the situation was similar to ours. They had a QB that they were doing well with, but obviously not well enough. It doesn't matter if they're top 5 or not. If they fall to you, pull the trigger. This draft is QB deep, and I feel if we keep waiting, you may not get anything.

12 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Not really. He could be moved; poor cap management move, as early as June 2nd of 2021, iirc? But...to get under the Rule of 51 which starts in March of 2021. Matt needs to restructure. Hint...he is staying at least another year probably 2.

Get the heir but fix the dang Coaching problem please. Heir should come last. Maybe not for a couple years if he has a big rebound year. It’s not a physical issue for Ryan.

I would hate to have to restructure his contract and kick the can further down the road. We all see what that is about to do to the Saints. 

Coaching is the biggest problem on offense right now. If they can land a top candidate who is offensive minded this team can easily rebound. If the new coach wants his guy, I'm ok with it. If the Falcons end up in the top-5 and trade that pick to a QB needy team for a bounty, that will do a ton for the future of this team

3 hours ago, wnyfalconfan said:

His cap hit is $23.4 million in 2021 and $26.5 million in 2022. So you want to put the team in cap **** because you want Ryan gone? 

This isn't quite true, unless I'm missing something (or misinterpreting what you mean by 'cap hit'). Next year, Ryan is counting 40 million against the cap. If released or traded, that goes up to 50 million. In 2022, he counts as 41 mill against the cap, but that goes down to only 26.5 million if he's cut or traded. 

Now, whether that 14 million of cap space is worth it or not is another question, but it is certainly doable cap-wise at that point. In 2023 we save almost 30 mill by losing him, which will almost certainly happen unless we just sign him to a new deal entirely. Unless, again, I'm missing something. 

2 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I believe this to be true. 

46 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

This isn't quite true, unless I'm missing something (or misinterpreting what you mean by 'cap hit'). Next year, Ryan is counting 40 million against the cap. If released or traded, that goes up to 50 million. In 2022, he counts as 41 mill against the cap, but that goes down to only 26.5 million if he's cut or traded. 

Now, whether that 14 million of cap space is worth it or not is another question, but it is certainly doable cap-wise at that point. In 2023 we save almost 30 mill by losing him, which will almost certainly happen unless we just sign him to a new deal entirely. Unless, again, I'm missing something. 

I believe this to be true. 

I meant to write dead cap. I just realized I didn't write it. My bad. Sorry for the confusion

19 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:
  • 55% // 228 YPG // 6.25 YPA // 4 TDs // 6 INTs // 65.3 QB Rating 
  • Our Offense has scored 9, 43, 16, 17 in the last 3. One blowout largely due to the defense getting 5 turnovers and 3 other games we could not even crack 20.

Those are his numbers over the last 4 weeks. Horrendous. Especially when you consider the Raiders and Chargers have bad defenses.

I have seen some crappy games from Ryan but this 4 game stretch is the shiniest turd of them all. Now we get a Bucs and Chiefs defense that both rank near top 10 in PPG allowed and in Turnovers forced. It's about to get even uglier these last 3 weeks.

That’s fine though because we won’t be tanking well just be getting out *** handed to us and draft position isn’t affected at all.

Ryan we are seeing now is just a shell because of the stupidity of the decisions made above him.

Aint no QB coming out looking good with the adversity we have managed to inflict on ourselves.

23 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

This is a clear example of how an OC's offensive scheme can make or break a QB.  Ryan looks like a superstar in Shanahan's offense and back to the 80s in Koetter's.  I don't know how many of you remember, but Matt had these same issues (sacks because routes take too long to develop, interceptions because routes so predictable DBs glued to receivers, struggle to get TDs in the redzone, etc.) in Koetter's offense before.  You could put Brees, Mahomes or any of the top QBs and Koetter would make them look horrible.  Now don't get me wrong, Ryan has had bad habits since he arrived and still hasn't fixed it:  holding the ball too long, not looking off DBs, and locking on to one receiver too much.  Personally, I believe Ryan is best suited for the WCO with quick, short passes to get the ball out of his hands quickly.

I believe Ryan can bounce back with the right OC.  

Mahomes and Brady's run game isn't that great either, but they have the natural talent to overcome that. 

He'll be fine next year. 

As others have said, he needs a run game and needs to be able to manage the game.

I'm not a huge MR supporter, but he's the least of our problems.

We need to get another CB, infuse the edge rush with at least 2 DE/OLB (draft Mikah and put Jones on the outside? And draft a contributing DE or pick up a UFA).

Open up the offense with a WC mentality and continue to inject talent in the run game and on defense.

We'll be right back in it.

With proper coaching/scheme yes. People act like it's bad that he needs a certain system to succeed. Honestly, almost every QB needs to be placed in a scheme/system to succeed. The natural born talent is so rare. I can almost guarantee you the Hall of Fame is full of players that worked their ***** off vs "natural born talent".  Get the man back to what worked and we're fine, and probably better off than taking a risk on a rookie QB that offers no guarantee of success in the pro level. 

32 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

He'll be fine next year. 

As others have said, he needs a run game and needs to be able to manage the game.

I'm not a huge MR supporter, but he's the least of our problems.

We need to get another CB, infuse the edge rush with at least 2 DE/OLB (draft Mikah and put Jones on the outside? And draft a contributing DE or pick up a UFA).

Open up the offense with a WC mentality and continue to inject talent in the run game and on defense.

We'll be right back in it.

Wasn't he supposed to be fine this year with a better O-line and Gurley? Every year people think the team will revert 2016 by giving Ryan a new coach, new weapons or a stout defense.  Each year a hole is patch and another reveals itself because you never have a perfect team. You need players who can overcome obstacles and shortcomings and still manage to pull out a win to be successful in this league.