Aside from a new OC, what is the one thing we could do to have the most immediate impact?

marvinthemartian

Ok, factoring out the obvious (new GM, HC, OC etc) what is the one realistic thing we could do (besides those obvious things) that would have the greatest overall immediate impact?

To me it would be getting a top tier running back and establishing a commitment to the run. That would make our offense better as a whole while also helping Matt Ryan. Additionally, it would help the defense as well. I look back to the impact Michael Turner had on our offense as a whole and by extension on the rest of the team. I  think we need that again. I do believe that is the one single, reasonable thing we could do that would have the biggest possible positive impact on the team as a whole. What say you?

It would take a rare find at RB to elevate enough. Possible but not probable. We have a nicely developing LB corp and AJ just needs a quality safety to give us a decent back half. We still have no pass rush. I’d rather have a formidable defense front 7 at this point. Even well rested, our porous defense gives up too many points and yards. 

Pretty much what KOG posted. I’d put Edge over CB even though I think both are fairly major needs. We ain’t getting an elite or even near elite Edge talent in the draft and idk about FA (we also don’t have money), so CB is probably the move we should make in the draft and then FS or RB in the second depending on who’s available. 

So for me, biggest impact would be: 

FS, RB, EDGE, CB 

In that order.

1 hour ago, marvinthemartian said:

Ok, factoring out the obvious (new GM, HC, OC etc) what is the one realistic thing we could do (besides those obvious things) that would have the greatest overall immediate impact?

To me it would be getting a top tier running back and establishing a commitment to the run. That would make our offense better as a whole while also helping Matt Ryan. Additionally, it would help the defense as well. I look back to the impact Michael Turner had on our offense as a whole and by extension on the rest of the team. I  think we need that again. I do believe that is the one single, reasonable thing we could do that would have the biggest possible positive impact on the team as a whole. What say you?

People don’t like this answer, but if we are just talking about what we could do to improve right away, trade our top 5 pick for a 2nd, 3rd and swap 1st round picks.  

If a team like the Bears falls in love with Lance or Wilson, we could could really restock our roster assuming we draft well

• Falcons Send 4th Overall to Bears

• Bears send to ATL #15, #46 and #78

FALCONS PICKS:

• 15th

• 36th

• 46th

• 68th

• 78th

• 99th

• 131st

• 145th

• 178th

• 212th

2 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

I think we need an alpha male in the locker room. A Ray Lewis type maybe. 

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

FS, RB, CB, Edge, DT, and QB

These positions have been so poor for us!  AJ is going to be a stud but the other CBs are just depth players.  Edge has been nonexistent since Abe.    Grady is a stud but needs help!! We need that game changer at RB!  I’m hoping a change at OC will help Matt but it maybe time to groom his replacement.  Ultimately though bro we need a very competent coaching staff and GM!

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

People don’t like this answer, but if we are just talking about what we could do to improve right away, trade our top 5 pick for a 2nd, 3rd and swap 1st round picks.  

If a team like the Bears falls in love with Lance or Wilson, we could could really restock our roster assuming we draft well

FALCONS PICKS:

• 15th

• 36th

• 46th

• 68th

• 78th

• 99th

• 131st

• 145th

• 178th

• 212th

Feel like the Bears should be giving up more than that to move up to #4 from #15. I’d want more than just an additional 2nd and 3rd round pick. 

This team desperately needs a play caller and a RB if we are asking how can they rebound next season. Unlikely a drafted QB starts over Ryan or greatly improves the W/L column. 

if they find a tier 2 guy they love and can take in round 2 or a trade up to 32, go for it. Guys like Trask, Lance, Jones, Ellinger would be in play there. Not sure how that order shakes up. Lawrence, Fields and Wilson are locks for the top half of round 1 at this point.

Trade Julio for a pick, and use our draft to work on the defense. It’s the same problem we’ve had for most of my life. We have rarely ever committed to building a long term, strong defense. 

Obviously, if we do end up in the top five, it’s a foregone conclusion we’ll take QB for development for beyond 21. One, most teams seldom get a top five pick, so you don’t pass on a top QB prospect if you’re in our situation.

Second, I’m a BPA at all times guy, and this year, aside from the Oregon lineman (apologies to PS2), the best 3-4 players available are all QBs. 

So, you take Wilson or Lance, and then you go all in on the defense, because we might be needing to draft a LT after 21. 

9 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

FALCONS PICKS:

• 15th

• 36th

• 46th

• 68th

• 78th

• 99th

• 131st

• 145th

• 178th

• 212th

4 to 15 seems so far and painful but I would be okay with this.

7 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Feel like the Bears should be giving up more than that to move up to #4 from #15. I’d want more than just an additional 2nd and 3rd round pick. 

Value of pick 4 is 1800 points. 15th pick in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd would be 1600ish so you're probably right.

Not to mention if we know they're moving up for a QB they love we can tax them for that. The question is.. for what? Future 1st? Future 2nd?

I think the Falcons biggest problem is scheme & developing players. 

If we draft in the top 10, we can probably get a good QB that can sit behind Matt Ryan and develop over 2-3 years.  We can probably pickup an impact RB in the second round.  Matt Ryan can be very effective with a good running game.  We have two really good LB.  Picking up another LB would be nice.  Hopefully the new regime will do better finding impact guys in the middle to late round of the draft.  

I like what our defense has done since Morris has taken over. They have given our Offense opportunities to win the games, and won the game for us against the Raiders. The first half of the year our defense was why we were losing games. In this second half of the year our offense isn't holding up their end of the bargain. We do still need that dominate pass rusher and a couple of Safeties on defense. The offense needs a new scheme, new RB #1, and another WR for when Julio can't play. 

I would rank needs that would have the biggest impact as the following

#1: RB

#2a: S

#2b: Pass rusher

#4: WR (Physical WR)

#5: QB

#6: OL 

I think RB would be the biggest impact but in the draft I would not take a RB in the first unless the coaching staff thinks he's going to be Cook/Henry type of talent. I would  actually take any of the positions above with our top pick based on the best player available. Safety and RB I would prefer to move back a little bit in the first to take but in the end if we have our eye one someone we think is a real difference we got to make sure we get them.