Is there any chance the Falcons could get Mike McDaniel the running backs coach for the 49ers as offensive coordinator next year?

Falcons Fan MVP

Coordinator is NOT considered a promotion. Coordinator is NOT a promotion.

NFL settled that years ago when teams were poaching guys off of staffs with all these phony, made-up titles. Anything other than a move to HC is considered a lateral move and assistant coaches under contract can be blocked from moving at the discretion of their current employer.

45 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Coordinator is NOT considered a promotion. Coordinator is NOT a promotion.

NFL settled that years ago when teams were poaching guys off of staffs with all these phony, made-up titles. Anything other than a move to HC is considered a lateral move and assistant coaches under contract can be blocked from moving at the discretion of their current employer.

I’m pretty sure the NFL owners voted to change that rule earlier this year and you can know hire guys like McDaniel and LeFleur bc they don’t call plays. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-owners-approve-resolution-that-allows-assistant-coaches-to-interview-for-coordinator-positions/amp/

1 minute ago, FalconDawg28 said:

I’m pretty sure the NFL owners voted to change that rule earlier this year and you can know hire guys like McDaniel and LeFleur bc they don’t call plays. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-owners-approve-resolution-that-allows-assistant-coaches-to-interview-for-coordinator-positions/amp/

Well ***. 2020 strikes again. 😆

I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, FalconDawg28 said:

That's wonderful news.

Get a guy capable of running the whole offense and a good one. Is McDaniel that...or just a really good run game coordinator?

LaFluer saw the game through the QB and the pass attack. That can be married to a good ground attack. Can you create a good air attack these days? Should be easier to generate a run game if your pass game is stellar. We don’t know if McDaniel can make a staff that gets the pass game to its previous levels.

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Hey, they have most dudes on IR and nobody at QB. lol 

I can’t bang on ‘em too bad this year. Considering what they’re rolling with 20 ain’t as bad as it looks, but this board year-to-year tends to want anyone other than who we got.

6 minutes ago, Fernando C. said:

I really want Arthur Smith or Daboll... who do you like???

At this point I’m more firm on a few guys I don’t like than I am who I do. There’s not anyone out there right now I’m in love with like years past but I could get behind a guy like Arthur Smith...

Daboll, I’ll take a pass on. I’ve watched him too long going back to Cleveland. He’s turned into a solid play caller though.

36 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Board wants anyone remotely associated with Shanahan’s offense.

Yet talks crap on anyone who ever had anything to do with the Bucs... completely failing to realize that Shanahan himself has said that the primary reason he has become a great offensive mind is because of his first NFL job, working under Gruden in Tampa.

16 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yet talks crap on anyone who ever had anything to do with the Bucs... completely failing to realize that Shanahan himself has said that the primary reason he has become a great offensive mind is because of his first NFL job, working under Gruden in Tampa.

😆 real talk, we should probably be trying to poach someone from Gruden’s staff since Shanny pretty much lifted his entire passing attack, philosophy on personnel groupings, pre-snap motions and shifts, right out of his playbook.

34 minutes ago, k-train said:

I wouldn't mind one bit if the Falcons kept Raheem Morris who worked under Jon Gruden. He could be a home run just as much as anyone else available.

42 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

At this point I’m more firm on a few guys I don’t like than I am who I do. There’s not anyone out there right now I’m in love with like years past but I could get behind a guy like Arthur Smith...

Daboll, I’ll take a pass on. I’ve watched him too long going back to Cleveland. He’s turned into a solid play caller though.

You should do some threads in the guys you think that the Falcons should avoid hiring and why you think so. You're opinions are very well respected on here. It would probably be a 4-10 page response for each one.

3 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

You should do some threads in the guys you think that the Falcons should avoid hiring and why you think so. You're opinions are very well respected on here. It would probably be a 4-10 page response for each one.

That’s exactly why I’m shying away. 

If we keep Raheem, who would you like to round out the staff?

1 hour ago, k-train said:

I always found that kind of talk to be silly. You should get the best person no matter where he is from. 

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

😆 real talk, we should probably be trying to poach someone from Gruden’s staff since Shanny pretty much lifted his entire passing attack, philosophy on personnel groupings, pre-snap motions and shifts, right out of his playbook.

I agree, which is why about a month ago I mentioned that someone like Jay Gruden isn't the worst idea for HC in my opinion. He has plenty of HCing experience, so he knows what the role is already. Plus, he's very familiar with that style of offensive scheme. I know his time in Washington wasn't great, but that's probably got more to do with the owner/front office than it did with him. He was very successful as the Bengals OC from 2011-2013, leading them to 3 straight playoff berths.

Don't need him to call the plays necessarily, but at least handle the HC duties & have some insight on that system.

For OC, tap someone like Shane Waldron, the Rams passing game coordinator.

Waldron was in Washington in 2016 under Jay Gruden as a quality control coach before going with McVay to LA. With the Rams, he has worked as the TE coach, Qb coach, and passing game coordinator. He also spent time with the Pats in '08-'09 as a QC coach & TE coach.

Not necessarily my first choices, but some under the radar guys who could be way more beneficial to running that kind of system here than a lot of the names getting tossed around.