Notes: 12/9

FalconsIn2012

10 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Problem with this assertion, is that the Saints weren't making ridiculous defensive calls against the Falcons O. (See the post where we rushed 3, played 10+ yards off the ball, on 3rd and 17.

Fair point and that was a mistake. With that said, can you imagine how bad the Saints offense would be with Koetter running it?

Taysom Hill has done an admirable job filling in for Brees but give all the credit to that coaching staff. Majority of his throws were to his first progression and were simple throws setup by the play design. Love him or hate him, Payton is one of the top offensive minds in football. I would love to see what he could do with our offensive talent.

Just now, Jpg428gggg said:

Fair point and that was a mistake. With that said, can you imagine how bad the Saints offense would be with Koetter running it?

Taysom Hill has done an admirable job filling in for Brees but give all the credit to that coaching staff. Majority of his throws were to his first progression and were simple throws setup by the play design. Love him or hate him, Payton is one of the top offensive minds in football. I would love to see what he could do with our offensive talent.

I would love to see what just any any other coordinator could do with our offensive talent. Just as long as they don't run an air Coryell based system.

We have a lot of good players with very specific talents, and we do not have the coaching minds to take advantage of it. Hurst has been absurdly under utilized for one. And we all know about the RB situation. 

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

"long-developing, predictable plays & lack of spacing" that perfectly describes our passing attack. The only bits he left out were a lack of:

1. Pre-snap motion,

2. Chipping pass rushers,

3. Playaction,

4. Safety valve options for Ryan to get rid of the ball when he needs to. 

I haven't even got to the run game, but in short that is the area Dirk is less proficient in (if that's possible). 

I watched the first half on SB  LI  last night, alot of it in Slo Mo, I couldn't bear to watch the second half.  There were some big differences in out team today and that team who scored the most points in the NFL (540) .  we lost both LG, RG, and RT. Admittedly The RT was a favorite whipping boy at the time (Schrader), he was awful. Also we had a great RB in Freeman, he was in his prime and was fast and elusive.  On the first play of the game he broke off about a 40 yard run from about the 8 yard line, and had a fine game, except for the missed block that got Ryan smeared. The Kicker and Punter were both excellent, and the team looked like they would be in several Super Bowls down the line.  The loss of those O linemen was cataclysmic as e learned later. We had a good pass rush with Grady a couple others.  Those were the major differenced from a Super Bowl team and the current team. We are STILL looking foe a LG to replace Levitre and a RT if McGary doesn't pick it up soon. We replaced Freeman with a gimpy Gurley, and two pedestrian RBs are not NFL material.  We STILL have only one decent pass rusher in Grady, and our secondary badly needs help.  All in all Dimi and Quinn  failed to replace those critical players that we lost one way or another.  All those players I mentioned MUST be replaced through trades, FA or the draft. That might not be a major rebuild, but it is certainly a serious rebuild.  We better not make a mistake in the new GM and HC this time or there will be some sad times in the ATL in the years ahead.