Jump to content

Falcons' interest in Saints assistant GM complicated by new minority hiring rule


Recommended Posts

Interesting Article

 

One of four teams that fired their GMs in-season, the Falcons have been looking into Saints assistant GM Terry Fontenot, according to CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora. However, the NFL’s new minority hiring rule may complicate matters. Were the Falcons to hire Fontenot, who is Black, the Saints would receive two third-round picks. Fontenot has been with the Saints longer than Sean Payton and rose from pro scouting director to assistant GM this year.

 

“How many teams would trade two third-round picks for an unproven GM?” a source familiar with this situation informed La Canfora. “… Is it worth (the Saints) getting two straight extra third-round picks — possible 10-year starters — just to hire their assistant general manager? They like Terry a lot, but I’m telling you, that’s a very real factor in the discussion. I’d be shocked if they (hired Fontenot) based on what I’ve heard.”

 

This would fall into the “unintended consequences” category for the new rule. However, the recently passed rule that will award teams two third-rounders if another franchise hires a minority head coach or GM from their organization has bothered some around the league. Multiple NFL voices of color expressed concerns, via ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter, about this initiative passing so quickly and without much notice. These sources also expressed curiosity about potential intradivisional hirings and how teams (such as the Falcons) will proceed when third-round draft choices are now part of the equation, Schefter adds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

This will just guarantee no team will hire him. Idiotic. Two 3rd round picks is a steep price for a guy that does not even play on the field and may or may not help us.

We don't give them the picks, the Saints just get them. Now obviously we shouldn't do that because we're in-division, but some AFC team won't care that much if they like the guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, vel said:

Does it matter? If another team hires him, they'll still get the picks. If you want him and like him and think he's qualified, go get him. Shame you gotta incentivize hiring black people in 2020 though...

This is a good point. Though to your second statement this doesn't really incentivize hiring anyone: it's the team getting hired From that gets the benefit, right? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

We don't give them the picks, the Saints just get them. Now obviously we shouldn't do that because we're in-division, but some AFC team won't care that much if they like the guy. 

Exactly.  This thing was presented as if the Falcons themselves would have to give the Saints the draft picks. If the Falcons hired him,  they would be saying that they believe the guy can draft his own players that would be as least as good as the picks the Saints get from the league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

This is a good point. Though to your second statement this doesn't really incentivize hiring anyone: it's the team getting hired From that gets the benefit, right? 

The rule is there to encourage teams to develop a diverse pool of coaching and front office personnel.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Exactly.  This thing was presented as if the Falcons themselves would have to give the Saints the draft picks. If the Falcons hired him,  they would be saying that they believe the guy can draft his own players that would be as least as good as the picks the Saints get from the league. 

But if the Falcons hire him they’re basically giving the Saints 2 additional 3rd round picks.

Sure it’s not a trade but in the end we’re talking about being responsible for helping your rival.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

It's already causing hiring complications before it has benefited one single hiring.

Because you and most of the ppl are understanding it's purpose wrong.

The purpose behind it is long term. Remember the team losing the individual gains the 3rd round picks which means it encourages teams to do two things:

1. Hire good personnel POCs that would get poached. That's what everybody says. Hire the best person, right?

2. Hire at entry levels. The biggest issue is lack of chances. This opens up those chances because the typical excuse given with POC personnel is "experience."

Look at how ppl are treating EB on the boards. It's always something about experience. Now is there a better way to go about it...maybe, but I'm just ashamed most are missing the point.

But this board struggles with this stuff so I'm prolly going to exit. Not worth beyond this initial post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

It's already causing hiring complications before it has benefited one single hiring.

Oh, I don't like the rule, I think it's dumb. I'm questioning whether it will actually have the affect of diversification that it hopes for. No team's going to hire a bad coach/executive because of this rule, because then nobody hires them and they get nothing. If it's a good coach/exec, they'd hire them anyway. Makes no sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Because you and most of the ppl are understanding it's purpose wrong.

The purpose behind it is long term. Remember the team losing the individual gains the 3rd round picks which means it encourages teams to do two things:

1. Hire good personnel POCs that would get poached. That's what everybody says. Hire the best person, right?

2. Hire at entry levels. The biggest issue is lack of chances. This opens up those chances because the typical excuse given with POC personnel is "experience."

Look at how ppl are treating EB on the boards. It's always something about experience. Now is there a better way to go about it...maybe, but I'm just ashamed most are missing the point.

But this board struggles with this stuff so I'm prolly going to exit. Not worth beyond this initial post.

It also cuts job opportunities for these guys drastically. As you can see here, no team will want to aid a division or perhaps even a conference rival by giving them two 3rd round picks. That is more than a team receives for losing a superstar player in free agency....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...