Falcons fans. Do NOT be intimidated by year one growing pains from a new offensive coordinator.

Everyone always says that our offense takes 2 years to play well under a new offensive coordinator. That's not always the case. 

Our offense played well and made it to the playoffs year 1 under OC Mike Malarkey in 2008. Finished at 11-5.

Our offense played well and made it to the NFC championship year 1 under Dirk Koetter before he lost his touch and defenses figured him out in 2012!

Our offense looked very good year 1 under Kyle Shanahan in 2015 the first 5 games. For some reason the offense stalled out. Maybe it was because of Hankerson's injury. Maybe it was because the players and Kyle weren't getting along. I'm not sure.

I think Sark and Koetter (this time around) just aren't that good. 

If we bring in a new offensive coordinator next year which I'm 95 percent sure we will even with year one growing pains it should be an immediate upgrade from what we are getting in Dirk Koetter. 

Hopefully we get Mike McDaniel or Mike LeFleur. They will probably be easier to get along with than Kyle Shanahan and perhaps less growing pains. Your thoughts?

Just now, falconsd56 said:

This place has no patience so I fully expect to see rage posts about who ever we hire as being mistakes as soon as we struggle for any period of time.

That's how every message board for every team is. Fans want results and don't want to wait for them. 

51 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I just want an OC that designs excellent blocking schemes and route trees.  It really comes down To those two things and timing.

Whomever we get, I hope he is intelligent, organized and an excellent delegator.

Sounds like a plan. Who though? 
Any thoughts on who should be brought in? 

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

This place has no patience so I fully expect to see rage posts about who ever we hire as being mistakes as soon as we struggle for any period of time.

I agree, there's no patience with this fanbase. But can you blame them for not? Get ready....lol

Ryan moved the ball with Julio and Ridley down inside the Saints 20 with a chance to win. Then they got to 2nd and 2 thanks to a good run by Gurley. What do they do? Take the ball out of Matt's hands and ask Gurley to win. He goes backwards and that's that. Though Ryan did get the team close again before the game ended.

2nd and 2 and the team has a chance to pick up the first down, take two shots into the end zone, or even try and get another penalty to set up a 1st and goal. Instead they run a broken down mule backwards 6 yards.

Matt isn't being propped up. Koetter is being propped up by Matt. He is the only QB in NFL history that made Dirk Koetter look like a competent OC. And that guy has been living off of #2 for years. 

I believe year one with Kyle is a lot different if he actually had a center that could snap the ball. We lost a lot of games because we couldn't even snap the football. Matt never knew where it would be. That and more speed at WR in year two and the offense exploded.  If Kyle was still the OC here, Quinn would still be the HC ( not because he's that great)  and we would still be in Superbowl competition every year. 

This whole ******* time. All the falcons had to do was be 2008 and add pieces to the power house offense and defense.  We had success with guys like hartsock, douglas, peele, white, Jenkins, Turner, snelling and norwood.  Our offensive line was baker/todd Blalock mcclure dahl and clabo.  That offense was perfect for Matt Ryan because it allowed him to play off the power running game.

But noooooooooo!!!!!! Falcons leaders had to listen to the media. Go get gonzalez and Jones and go draft first round linemen or Peter konz..... Change the whole philosophy of the offense from a power house team to a pass first offense..   we made Harvey dahl into a weak link after 2008.  I miss the toughness of that 2008 team and we may never see it again. Thank you blank, thank you td and thank you falcons for yet again get swindled by the media and what others think you should do.

3 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I believe year one with Kyle is a lot different if he actually had a center that could snap the ball. We lost a lot of games because we couldn't even snap the football. Matt never knew where it would be. That and more speed at WR in year two and the offense exploded.  If Kyle was still the OC here, Quinn would still be the HC ( not because he's that great)  and we would still be in Superbowl competition every year. 

Everyone forgets how bad Person was as a center. Another great thing that Shanahan did was he challenged Ryan to be better and as a result they went to the super bowl and Ryan won an MVP.

Its a myth that teams need a couple of years under a new OC to be successful. Some teams change coordinators and are just fine. Seattle, Packers, Titans, Dolphins, Ravens, Browns, Vikings all changed OC's the last couple of seasons and made the playoffs the next year. Even the Falcons changed in 17 and made the playoff the same year. 

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

Everyone forgets how bad Person was as a center. Another great thing that Shanahan did was he challenged Ryan to be better and as a result they went to the super bowl and Ryan won an MVP.

Ryan had confidence in the plays being called. If one play didn't work, the next one would. He didn't have to try to do to much. He almost always had somewhere to go with football. 

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

Its a myth that teams need a couple of years under a new OC to be successful. Some teams change coordinators and are just fine. Seattle, Packers, Titans, Dolphins, Ravens, Browns, Vikings all changed OC's the last couple of seasons and made the playoffs the next year. Even the Falcons changed in 17 and made the playoff the same year. 

The difference is....in nearly every one of those cases the new oc was but a continuation of what the team did previously with only minor tweaks.

The titans still run the exact same "exotic smash mouth " as they did with Mularky.

And the phins and browns have not made the playoffs yet.

Just now, falconsd56 said:

The difference is....in nearly every one of those cases the new oc was but a continuation of what the team did previously with only minor tweaks.

The titans still run the exact same "exotic smash mouth " as they did with Mularky.

Yeah, that's kind of my point though. If the HC knew how to manage his staff, changing coordinators should not be that big of an issue. If that HC was developing his coaches, he should always have someone waiting in the wings to take over. It almost seems like common sense lol. 

8 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

We tried to run a spinoff of Shanny's scheme in 2017 under Sark and it failed miserably. Our defense carried our pedestrian offense that whole season. In 2018 it improved while having some flaws and somehow we ended up with the village idiot DK as our OC in 2019/2020 and I'd bet money its due to Ryans familiarity and past experience with DK.

DK has not had a good offense since our 2012 team. He was 15th or worse in PPG in all 8 seasons since. SMH

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

I’m not sure someone as bad as Freddie Kitchen’s wouldn’t be an upgrade at this point.  We knew we would go backwards after Kyle left, Sark was more him learning NFL, Dirk has regressed the offense even more.  So it’s only going to get better, fans won’t have to be as patient as normal.