I see week 13 differently than many of you

Before the season I held the position that the Falcons could play very good football this year and end up 9-7. They haven't played good football all season, so they won't be 9-7.  Sunday's game was exactly how I thought this whole season could go. Where many of you obviously saw poor play calling, poor QB play, a bad running game, and spotty defense; I saw a tough fought game between worthy opponents.

The problem with so many of the Sunday takes is that the Saints are a very good football team. This is not a generic opponent. The Falcons effort on Sunday is being evaluated as if they were. We faced the top ranked defense, and we did struggle at time. They faced a defense that is 6th against run and improving against the pass. They had more success, but it wasn't sustained success. They had too many drives die in scoring position to take control (a criticism many had of the Falcons). 

I didn't like everything I saw on Sunday. There were mistakes. (In all fairness to the angry masses, I did see some poor excuses for tackling early on.) But overall, the game was a war and the Falcons gave one of the top three teams in the NFC everything they wanted. Yea, but penalties. Yea, but fumble. Yea, but missed FG. Sure, the Saints made some mistakes. Or...did the Falcons D force some mistakes? Now let's flip that around. The Falcons O left plays on the table. Or...did  the Saints D take plays off the table?

Had the Falcons not given away three wins earlier in the season this game would have been extremely frustrating, but most would have recognized it as a pretty good battle between two defenses who are building toward the end of the season. 

As Falcons games have gone this season, Sunday was one of the better team efforts. It just happened to come against a better team. We may see more of that over the next four weeks. Its difficult not to confuse bad results with bad play. While allowing that judging profession sports franchises by the bottom line (scoreboard) is valid, I do feel the team laid down a pretty solid effort against a strong opponent. I HATE losing to the Saints. That part bites. However, the Falcons actual play did not leave the same bad taste in my mouth as the efforts against Dallas, Seattle, Chicago, Carolina, and Detroit. This was a better brand of football even if the results were the same ole suck. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't bring a  levelheaded approach here after a loss. ....they don't take kindly to that round here.

Before the season I held the position that the Falcons could play very good football this year and end up 9-7. They haven't played good football all season, so they won't be 9-7.  Sunday's game was ex

The offense was straight trash outside of a couple drives. Couldn’t convert a 3rd down obviously couldn’t convert in the red zone. If it was just one game I could say “good game Saints” but the offens

5 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Before the season I held the position that the Falcons could play very good football this year and end up 9-7. They haven't played good football all season, so they won't be 9-7.  Sunday's game was exactly how I thought this whole season could go. Where many of you obviously saw poor play calling, poor QB play, a bad running game, and spotty defense; I saw a tough fought game between worthy opponents.

The problem with so many of the Sunday takes is that the Saints are a very good football team. This is not a generic opponent. The Falcons effort on Sunday is being evaluated as if they were. We faced the top ranked defense, and we did struggle at time. They faced a defense that is 6th against run and improving against the pass. They had more success, but it wasn't sustained success. They had too many drives die in scoring position to take control (a criticism many had of the Falcons). 

I didn't like everything I saw on Sunday. There were mistakes. (In all fairness to the angry masses, I did see some poor excuses for tackling early on.) But overall, the game was a war and the Falcons gave one of the top three teams in the NFC everything they wanted. Yea, but penalties. Yea, but fumble. Yea, but missed FG. Sure, the Saints made some mistakes. Or...did the Falcons D force some mistakes? Now let's flip that around. The Falcons O left plays on the table. Or...did  the Saints D take plays off the table?

Had the Falcons not given away three wins earlier in the season this game would have been extremely frustrating, but most would have recognized it as a pretty good battle between two defenses who are building toward the end of the season. 

As Falcons games have gone this season, Sunday was one of the better team efforts. It just happened to come against a better team. We may see more of that over the next four weeks. Its difficult not to confuse bad results with bad play. While allowing that judging profession sports franchises by the bottom line (scoreboard) is valid, I do feel the team laid down a pretty solid effort against a strong opponent. I HATE losing to the Saints. That part bites. However, the Falcons actual play did not leave the same bad taste in my mouth as the efforts against Dallas, Seattle, Chicago, Carolina, and Detroit. This was a better brand of football even if the results were the same ole suck. 

Don't bring a  levelheaded approach here after a loss.

....they don't take kindly to that round here.

Cr8rTeb.jpg

44 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

The offense was straight trash outside of a couple drives. Couldn’t convert a 3rd down obviously couldn’t convert in the red zone. If it was just one game I could say “good game Saints” but the offense has been a problem for far too long. 

99% of runs up the middle to Gurley is a wasted offensive call.  So are we saying Koetter is just lazy on those calls or just stupid?  I want to say both. 

We lost to Taysom Hill. Not once but twice. At QB. Delete this thread.

If we lost these 2 games to Drew 24-9 and 21-16 its a great effort in a tough loss to a better team. When that said team has what many would view as a 3rd string QB starting and you lose both times to him...Nothing to be happy or proud about.

5 hours ago, Fiercefalcon said:

I'm all for optimism, but we also just gotta call it for what it is. Falcons weren't good today, particularly the offense. I could go off on a tangent, but to keep it short: the offense was not properly prepared for this game.

Thats nothing new. Its been that way the past 4 to 5 games.

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

If we lost these 2 games to Drew 24-9 and 21-16 its a great effort in a tough loss to a better team. When that said team has what many would view as a 3rd string QB starting and you lose both times to him...Nothing to be happy or proud about.

You are getting caught up in the numbers and depth chart. He was good enough to start over Jameis Winston who carves our defense up every time. You are looking surface level and just the position of qb, its not just the qb we face.

Hill had nothing to do with our offense being asleep for 3 quarters. Not to mention the defense being out there all gm. Delete this post.

Just now, red falcon said:

You are getting caught up in the numbers and depth chart. He was good enough to start over Jameis Winston who carves our defense up every time. You are looking surface level and just the position of qb, its not just the qb we face.

Hill had nothing to do with our offense being asleep for 3 quarters. Not to mention the defense being out there all gm. Delete this post.

We get blown out the water with Brees at QB if we played the way we played both times vs the Saints. Taysom Hill is the only reason it was even close. Heck he even threw some gifts our way that our sorry DBs allowed to go right through their hands. He gifted us a fumble when they were inside the 10 yardline. He almost gifted us another fumble at the very end.

Yet still Taysom Hill put up 282 yards, 2 tds and 315 yards, 2 TDs in the 2 games. If you think the player at the most important position has nothing to do with these losses you might want to pay more attention. We got slapped by a guy that just last week vs a horrific Denver team struggled to do anything. He could not even top 100 pass yards last week yet he is throwing it all over the yard against us.

How many times did we have them in 3rd and long and Hill converted a pass for a 1st down. One of the reasons our defense was on the field all game was because of the constant 3rd downs they gave up. On 3rd Downs, Hill converted for a 1st down EIGHT times with pass plays. Multiple times it was 10+ yards. That is on the defense not the offense. They would have had less points and far less TOP if our defense got off the field in those situations.

Our Offense was terrible and plays a large part in both losses but that does not change the fact Taysom Hill bodied us in both games either.

16 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

We get blown out the water with Brees at QB if we played the way we played both times vs the Saints. Taysom Hill is the only reason it was even close. Heck he even threw some gifts our way that our sorry DBs allowed to go right through their hands. He gifted us a fumble when they were inside the 10 yardline. He almost gifted us another fumble at the very end.

Yet still Taysom Hill put up 282 yards, 2 tds and 315 yards, 2 TDs in the 2 games. If you think the player at the most important position has nothing to do with these losses you might want to pay more attention. We got slapped by a guy that just last week vs a horrific Denver team struggled to do anything. He could not even top 100 pass yards last week yet he is throwing it all over the yard against us.

How many times did we have them in 3rd and long and Hill converted a pass for a 1st down. One of the reasons our defense was on the field all game was because of the constant 3rd downs they gave up. On 3rd Downs, Hill converted for a 1st down EIGHT times with pass plays. Multiple times it was 10+ yards. That is on the defense not the offense. They would have had less points and far less TOP if our defense got off the field in those situations.

Our Offense was terrible and plays a large part in both losses but that does not change the fact Taysom Hill bodied us in both games either.

How many times did we rush 3 on 3rd and long. They thought hill couldnt make the throws and he proved them wrong. Even after all those conversions defense still had us in the gm. Haha defense get off the field just so the offense can put them back off? Ok.

I dont think you know who brees is anymore. He use to dink and dunk all day. Hes not running down the sideline with 4.4 speed for 30 yards. Hill is a better thrower than hes giving credit for. Youre living in 2010 brees is a gm manager now.

9 minutes ago, red falcon said:

How many times did we rush 3 on 3rd and long. They thought hill couldnt make the throws and he proved them wrong. Even after all those conversions defense still had us in the gm. Haha defense get off the field just so the offense can put them back off? Ok.

I dont think you know who brees is anymore. He use to dink and dunk all day. Hes not running down the sideline with 4.4 speed for 30 yards. Hill is a better thrower than hes giving credit for. Youre living in 2010 brees is a gm manager now.

Hill is bad under any sort of pressure in the pocket. The only time he is even considered decent is with a perfectly clean pocket. When we got pressure (not often) he panicked and instead of taking sacks he would take high risk throws.

Grady hit him low on what should have been an INT on a rushed pass and Rico dropped it. 

Again Grady rushed him later and he underthrew MT and Terrell let an INT go through his hands.

He fumbled because he panicked and instead of just taking the sack he tried to make a stupid play and costed his team. 

Later he almost fumbled again deep in their own territory trying to play hero rather than just securing the ball.

You can discredit Brees all you want, ask any playoff team who they would want to face in January Drew Brees or Taysom Hill and it would be unanimous in one persons direction. Hill is terrible and our defense allowed him to look like a superstar. Go back and watch how pathetic he looked against Denver.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Hill is bad under any sort of pressure in the pocket. The only time he is even considered decent is with a perfectly clean pocket. When we got pressure (not often) he panicked and instead of taking sacks he would take high risk throws.

Grady hit him low on what should have been an INT on a rushed pass and Rico dropped it. 

Again Grady rushed him later and he underthrew MT and Terrell let an INT go through his hands.

You can discredit Brees all you want, ask any playoff team who they would want to face in January Drew Brees or Taysom Hill and it would be unanimous in one persons direction. Hill is terrible and our defense allowed him to look like a superstar. Go back and watch how pathetic he looked against Denver.

Will see if i can watch the denver gm. We will agree to disagree. I respect your opinion.

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

The offense was straight trash outside of a couple drives. Couldn’t convert a 3rd down obviously couldn’t convert in the red zone. If it was just one game I could say “good game Saints” but the offense has been a problem for far too long. 

I saw some trash from the Saints O as well. That's how it works when the defense chooses to oppose you. 

1 hour ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Other that anger, do you have a take here? Tell me about Hill. How is he bad? What does he do poorly? How did he fail to execute SP's called plays? To be brutally honest, he looked better against us than Drew Brees did last year across a sample of 2 games. Even in the game the Saints one Brees couldn't punch it into the end zone. 

As far as deleting the tread. LOL. I think I'll let it play out. 

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

99% of runs up the middle to Gurley is a wasted offensive call.  So are we saying Koetter is just lazy on those calls or just stupid?  I want to say both. 

If a team is bringing pressure hard off the edge, how do you counter that? It isn't like Gurley has the burst to get outside on quicker front sevens. If you want to go to we should have been using Smith or Hill more, I could buy into that. However, you can't just abandon the area between the tackles. A quality opponent will rub you into the dirt. Reference: two weeks ago. 

26 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

He fumbled because he panicked and instead of just taking the sack he tried to make a stupid play and costed his team. 

Later he almost fumbled again deep in their own territory trying to play hero rather than just securing the ball.

I was answering threads one at a time. I'll take this as a response to my question to you above about Hill.

The statement I made there still applies. In what way did Hill look more lost yesterday than Drew Brees did in the first game last year? Your not giving the Falcons D enough credit. Overall, I consider the Falcons a weakly coached team over the last five years. With that said, preparing for the Saints is something the staff does better than most staffs. 

3 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

This we can all agree with, this team has laid down to the saints all season long. The coaching and execution need to be better next season. Can't have mack daddy sean payton strutting into our stadium and laying the smack down on us with his back up QBs. 

I corrected that in the OP. I think from the context most figured out my stance. You included :)

You know I found this shocking stat, the Saints are 8-0 WITHOUT Drew Brees the past 2 seasons. So even with Drew Brees being out, it hasn't mattered, the Saints find ways to win. That's what a f**king TEAM sport is all about, for those who keep blaming the QB all the time. The Eagles still won the Super Bowl once Nick Foles took over after Carson Wentz got hurt... why? 

Edited by mqg96
12 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

You know I found this shocking stat, the Saints are 8-0 WITHOUT Drew Brees the past 2 seasons. So even with Drew Brees being out, it hasn't mattered, the Saints find ways to win. That's what a f**king TEAM sport is all about, for those who keep blaming the QB all the time. The Eagles still won the Super Bowl once Nick Foles took over after Carson Wentz got hurt... why? 

Only one team out of those 8 had a winning record and made the playoffs. 

Falcons 4-8 (Twice)
Broncos 4-8

Seahawks 11-5
Cowboys 8-8
Bucs 7-9
Jaguars 6-10
Bears 8-8

52-64 overall

Not exactly anything to get excited about. I don't think the Saints go 5-0 last year against those 5 with Taysom Hill at QB though. Bridgewater is a far superior QB and can win at a high rate with a team as talented as the Saints.

I don't think anyone is saying the Saints are a bad team. In fact, they have developed into a great team. What people are saying is that the Saints are a very beatable team with Taysom Hill at QB. We crapped the bed both times and let Hill make us look stupid which does not make me feel proud of anything. Theirs no moral victories in football.

Thats, in part, why teams lose - Hill isnt some 3rd string scrub QB. Teams that continue to think that way will continue to get punched in the mouth until they wake up. By then, its too late. 

I thought the Falcons played MUCH better yesterday than the first match. I think in that first match, they really didnt know how to defend Hill and protect Ryan. Defensively, the Falcons came to play. It was clear yall would not let AK41 have his way. He was all but bottled up for a good 3Q. Where we made our mark was the passing game. Hill has been w/ Drew now for 4 years. He has learned from the GOAT how to prepare, how to analyze. He hasnt simply arrived from college ball and all of a sudden is thrown to the wolves. He had 4 years to learn "game speed" ( which is quite different from NCAA game speed ). Anticipation, knowing route schemes vs defensive scheme, who is or should be open...all of that he has had time to adjust to. 

Defensively, yall did a much better job protecting Ryan this game. I will say, he was pretty spooked in the pocket when it would start to collapse. But when he went to hurry up, shotgun, and passing in rhythm, he was much more effective. And it negated our pass rush for the most part. 

This was the game i expected 2 weeks ago. Yesterday was typical rivalry game. in the last 7 meetings, we have won 6. Outside of 2 weeks ago, the rest were just like yesterday. I was thinking it would come down to who had ball last. Thank goodness it didnt. Our Defense got stout when needed. 

Tough season for yall, but yesterdays performance, Falcons were not "laying down". 

2 hours ago, falcndave said:

If a team is bringing pressure hard off the edge, how do you counter that? It isn't like Gurley has the burst to get outside on quicker front sevens. If you want to go to we should have been using Smith or Hill more, I could buy into that. However, you can't just abandon the area between the tackles. A quality opponent will rub you into the dirt. Reference: two weeks ago. 

Yep, we are now somehow a power running team and add to that Gurley no longer has the burst he needs. Better off with Ito between the tackles, but better off drafting a top tier RB this offseason.