Matt Ryan Can Still Play At A High Level

AUTiger7222

I am so sick of the "Matt Ryan sucks" crap. It's crap!! Pure and simple crap.

Was anyone aware of how well Matt Ryan was playing going into the Falcons bye week? He was on pace to finish with the 4th best season of his career in passer rating behind 2016, 2018, and 2012.

Matt Ryan's Stats Through 9 Games

• 236/351 (67.2%), 2746 YDS (7.8), 15 TD, 5 INT, 99.0 QB Rating

Matt Ryan's Last 3 Games

• 60/115 (52.2%), 690 YDS (6.0), 3 TD, 3 INT, 68.4 QB Rating

Matt Ryan didn't forget how to play football overnight. Matt Ryan didn't lose his ability to play football overnight. Matt Ryan is still a top 10 NFL QB. You can still win with Matt Ryan. The problem as always starts with the coaching. Once again coaching is severely limiting this Falcons team, not Matt Ryan.

Edited by AUTiger7222

I watched some film with some guys. He’s missing open throws, holding onto the ball too long, and staring guys down. 

There have been several open check downs that have been available but he misses them because he staring down on person. 

I’m not sure if that’s on Koetter or if something is going on with Ryan. I’ll have to rewatch this game again see what’s going on. 

I'm just going to be real. WE'RE NOT WINNING A SUPERBOWL WITH MATT RYAN!!! Especially with these peewee league *ss coordinators running the offense. It's sad it really is, how we wasted Ryan, Julio, and other great/good players over the years. I'm so ready to start the rebuild. Maybe losses will be a lil more fun and acceptable as we watch the young pups grow.

4 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

I watched some film with some guys. He’s missing open throws, holding onto the ball too long, and staring guys down. 

There have been several open check downs that have been available but he misses them because he staring down on person. 

I’m not sure if that’s on Koetter or if something is going on with Ryan. I’ll have to rewatch this game again see what’s going on. 

Honestly, he doesn't really have time to play the nuances of the mastery of the position...

Koetter's lack of presnap motion is killing Ryan, as defenses don't have a moment of confusion.  Every defender knows exactly what's coming and what to do/where to be to stop it.  Defensive linemen are at the starting line waiting patiently for the ball to snap; nothing to think about, just get to the qb. LB's: one read on the RB, then rush the passer.  It's mayhem for our Oline just allowing opposing defenses to play an easy, straight-up man on man game...

Which is why we have sometimes great sporadic success, and sometimes we're completely inept...if we're playing a team who's talent we can beat, we look good playing straightup man on man...but if we're playing against a team with better talent at certain positions, we struggle.  And if that team with certain better talent also has an aggressive scheme, we're foiked...

1 minute ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

I'm just going to be real. WE'RE NOT WINNING A SUPERBOWL WITH MATT RYAN!!! Especially with these peewee league *ss coordinators running the offense. It's sad it really is, how we wasted Ryan, Julio, and other great/good players over the years. I'm so ready to start the rebuild. Maybe losses will be a lil more fun and acceptable as we watch the young pups grow.

I don't know man... How much fun are the Jets having watching their young talent develop?  How much fun are the Broncos having watching their rebuild? The Browns needed a pandemic season before their years and years of top 5 picks began to show success... I've been on this board many years, this fanbase doesn't have near the patience they all think they have in drudging through rebuild years...how much "fun and acceptable" was this fanbase watching Oliver grow? McGary's first year?  Terrell's first few games?

2 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

I don't know man... How much fun are the Jets having watching their young talent develop?  How much fun are the Broncos having watching their rebuild? The Browns needed a pandemic season before their years and years of top 5 picks began to show success... I've been on this board many years, this fanbase doesn't have near the patience they all think they have in drudging through rebuild years...how much "fun and acceptable" was this fanbase watching Oliver grow? McGary's first year?  Terrell's first few games?

I get all that, but a rebuild could be 1-2 years if you make the right decisions. The Jets are horribly ran from top to bottom. Broncos have an egomaniac at the helm in Elway who's trying his best to keep all his records in tact by not getting a decent QB. The Browns, well you get enough top 5 picks, sooner or later they'll learn to play together. We need a culture flush. 

If we have an opportunity to get better at a position, you have to do it, no matter what. That's just good football. 

But there aren't many QBs in the NFL that plays as well as Matt Ryan at his best and he's one of just a handful of QBs since 2008 to maintain a high level of play. He's not perfect, but he's good and he hasn't played bad long enough to say he's on a decline either.

Just don't get into the same trap we can fall into by moving on from 2 time NFL executive of the year Thomas Dimitroff; don't move backwards by letting go of something good. Instead focus on getting better at the weakness of Falcons football operations- which is President Rich Mckay who is playing overlord and terrible terrible coaching. 

He is equally responsible for the ineptitude on offense. Plain and simple. 

How many HC's & OC's need to be fired before we realize that #2 is just not locked in anymore. I dont care what he CAN still do, he is no a longer consistent factor. Nobody fears this man under center. Nobody.

Simple reads. Simple throws. Guys have to make highlight plays just to convert. 

And people keep saying, "Well if he had this, or if he had that..." Matt has had more weapons in a season than Aaron Rodgers has had in a career. At some point if you NEED all of this extra help to get the job done, you have to point the finger at the 30 million dollar man and ask why do we need YOU then?

Great guy, great man. He is the leader of an offense stuck in neutral, going nowhere fast.

FYI

Mahommes, Wilson, Rodgers... none of them were drafted at the top of the draft. We can find Matt's replacement and not have to tank to do so.

Just saying

4 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

He is equally responsible for the ineptitude on offense. Plain and simple. 

How many HC's & OC's need to be fired before we realize that #2 is just not locked in anymore. I dont care what he CAN still do, he is no a longer consistent factor. Nobody fears this man under center. Nobody.

Simple reads. Simple throws. Guys have to make highlight plays just to convert. 

And people keep saying, "Well if he had this, or if he had that..." Matt has had more weapons in a season than Aaron Rodgers has had in a career. At some point if you NEED all of this extra help to get the job done, you have to point the finger at the 30 million dollar man and ask why do we need YOU then?

Great guy, great man. He is the leader of an offense stuck in neutral, going nowhere fast.

FYI

Mahommes, Wilson, Rodgers... none of them were drafted at the top of the draft. We can find Matt's replacement and not have to tank to do so.

Just saying

mahomes was the 10th pick in the draft how is that not the top

6 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

Tom Brady suddenly doesn't look like the same guy that was tearing up the league in NE. I mean, for all the crap Ryan gets around here, many forget the Bucs were hosed 38-3 by the Saints a couple weeks prior. Bruce Arians runs a similar air coryell scheme to DK. It clearly doesn't mesh with Brady's skillset, but he's still good enough to win games. Same goes for Ryan.

Look, when you're not confident in what you're seeing or doing, even the obvious, most routine decisions will become hard. A confident Ryan in a scheme that suits him will give you 2016 at best and 2018 at worst. Think about that. Even with Sark he threw for darn near 5000 yards, 8 YPA, 35 TDs (39 total TDs), 7 INT, and 108 QB rating.

Koetter comes back and Ryan regresses.  

Falcons need a rebuild. Can't rebuild with 50M in salary going to two players who only produce a few hollow wins and take us out of draft positioning.

If we actually had a solid, deep team and good coaching, Ryan and JJ would be assets despite their very high cap hits. As we have none of that they are only delaying an inevitable tranistion to the time when they are no longer the dominate pieces to the Falcons winning

2 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Love what the guy has done for the team but he currently needs a lot around him to be successful for what he is being paid.

Not saying MR sucks and can’t play at a high level but he does need great OL protection to be effective and just can’t extend plays. He’s been the best thing to ever happen for this franchise but we need to find his replacement in the next draft. It’s not his fault TD brought in a lame RB that don’t help the running game. A good running back  would help tremendously but as you said he needs all the parts around him to be successful. The RZ issues can be blamed on DK but MR has to make plays and that’s something he can’t seem to do since KS left. Great QBs step up and make plays to win close games....I just don’t think MR is great. We need an improviser at QB and this next draft is the time to go get one.

1 minute ago, Atl Falcon said:

Not saying MR sucks and can’t play at a high level but he does need great OL protection to be effective and just can’t extend plays. He’s been the best thing to ever happen for this franchise but we need to find his replacement in the next draft. It’s not his fault TD brought in a lame RB that don’t help the running game. A good running back  would help tremendously but as you said he needs all the parts around him to be successful. The RZ issues can be blamed on DK but MR has to make plays and that’s something he can’t seem to do since KS left. Great QBs step up and make plays to win close games....I just don’t think MR is great. We need an improviser at QB and this next draft is the time to go get one.

They still dont use the outside zone i dont get it. We have the linemen for it. The playaction and threat of the wide zone would help the entire offense. Its baffling. 

27 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Love what the guy has done for the team but he currently needs a lot around him to be successful for what he is being paid.

I'm not gonna argue in favor/against Ryan's rise and fall, but Koetter is making things really difficult for everyone. Difficult enough that any side of any argument is hobbled because all 11 offensive players are working in an insanely predicable, unimaginative system.

Yes I do believe that he can still play at a high level despite what all his biggest critics on this board say about him. It all comes down to play calling aka Dirk. I think my biggest gripe with Ryan is hes been holding onto the ball a tad bit too long. Now is that all his fault? No its also includes Wrs not running the right routes or not getting open. But still. We could have easily won that game yesterday if the play calling would have been better at the end. I dont have a problem drafting a QB and having him sit behind him for a year. We cant trade or release Ryan because of Cap (some of yall keep forgetting that this isnt Madden) So whatever coach/gm they bring in will have Ryan as QB for at least a year. 

7 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Was anyone aware of how well Matt Ryan was playing going into the Falcons bye week? He was on pace to finish with the 4th best season of his career in passer rating behind 2016, 2018, and 2012.

Matt Ryan's Last 3 Games

Matt Ryan didn't forget how to play football overnight. Matt Ryan didn't lose his ability to play football overnight. Matt Ryan is still a top 10 NFL QB. You can still win with Matt Ryan. The problem as always starts with the coaching. Once again coaching is severely limiting this Falcons team, not Matt Ryan.

You do realize that you're posting statistics, right? He can lead the NFL in every category, and it wouldn't matter. We are 4-8. The same way you're coming to his defense, you're criticizing others. While you're worried about him being in the top 10, our team is in the bottom 10. Is it Matt's Fault? No, not solely. He has made some mistakes that have made it difficult for us to win.

If we're measuring problems on a percentage, Dirk Koetter is about 70% of the reason this team sucks donkey balls.  

The actual on-field lack of offensive talent (line and backs, and dropped passes) is 10%.

The defensive backfield is 10%.

The rest of the coaching staff including Morris is 5% 

Matt Ryan is 5%.  

2 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

Tom Brady suddenly doesn't look like the same guy that was tearing up the league in NE. I mean, for all the crap Ryan gets around here, many forget the Bucs were hosed 38-3 by the Saints a couple weeks prior. Bruce Arians runs a similar air coryell scheme to DK. It clearly doesn't mesh with Brady's skillset, but he's still good enough to win games. Same goes for Ryan.

Look, when you're not confident in what you're seeing or doing, even the obvious, most routine decisions will become hard. A confident Ryan in a scheme that suits him will give you 2016 at best and 2018 at worst. Think about that. Even with Sark he threw for darn near 5000 yards, 8 YPA, 35 TDs (39 total TDs), 7 INT, and 108 QB rating.

Koetter comes back and Ryan regresses.  

I mean, I've never really looked at Brady as a superstar. The guy has a point. It's time to stop making excuses for Ryan. Despite how good he is. Andy Reid had KC winning before drafting Mahomes, but they couldn't get but only so far. I look at the 4th down pass to Julio, and I'm tired of those plays. Gage was open in the flat. Dirk may be bad, but some stuff is on our 12 year vet.

1 hour ago, Faithful Falcon said:

You do realize that you're posting statistics, right? He can lead the NFL in every category, and it wouldn't matter. We are 4-8. The same way you're coming to his defense, you're criticizing others. While you're worried about him being in the top 10, our team is in the bottom 10. Is it Matt's Fault? No, not solely. He has made some mistakes that have made it difficult for us to win.

so has dirk, even moreso

9 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Matt Ryan's Last 3 Games

So what???  Don't you realize that he is not the future of this franchise? Unfortunately, we are stuck in Matt Ryan purgatory for the next two to three years until this loser comes off the books and we can then move on in the next exciting stage of development for this team. Ryan, like it or not, is emblematic of the historic underachieving, failing and disappointing history of this franchise. And the sooner we can get over that and on to a brighter future, the better...

15 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Matt Ryan's Last 3 Games

I don't think many people are going to convince you.  That is ok.  At the end of the day, Matt Ryan has been a good QB.  He has never been in the same category as John Elway, Joe Montana, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.  Those guys were at the absolute top level of NFL QBs.  They alone were the difference in many wins.  Matt has been really good.  However, he has to have the best around him to make it happen.  

This is exactly what it looks like when players of his caliber start to decline.  He is still putting up good numbers, but there are a lot of moments where he plays like crap.  I know the OC does have some blame.  I know other players have some blame.  All that comes together into him not having the things around him to succeed.  Good OL, lots of weapons at WR/TE, running game, brilliant OC and head coach plus a D.  So things have to be absolutely perfect for him to succeed.  Not often does that happen.  A team has everything.  QBs get paid the most, they get the most praise, they have to be able to win when things are not perfect.  That is where Matt has been for most of his career.  With just a small drop off, its even more of an issue now.  Its time to move on.  Falcons will be here long after Ryan.  

Edited by isproab