No Huddle - Offense Heats Up With Ryan Calling Plays

FalconsIn2012

It’s funny that the offense only looked effective when we went no huddle with Ryan calling the plays.  172 of our 332 yards were on those two drives to end the game.  We need to go no huddle all game until we can fire Dork Koetter

That said, Hurst is looking like a below average TE who is easily taken out of a gameplan.  Gage has been struggling and until the 4th quarter Ridley was hit or miss.  So it’s not all on Dork, but most of it is.  

Shout out to the defense.  Except for questionable 3rd down calls, they played really well once again.  As a team, our defense is our best unit which is sad considering the talent/resources allocated to the offense

• FalconsIn2012 changed the title to No Huddle - Offense Heats Up With Ryan Calling Plays
10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s funny that the offense only looked effective when we went no huddle with Ryan calling the plays.  172 of our 332 yards were on those two drives to end the game.  We need to go no huddle all game until we can fire Dork Koetter

That said, Hurst is looking like a below average TE who is easily taken out of a gameplan.  Gage has been struggling and until the 4th quarter Ridley was hit or miss.  So it’s not all on Dork, but most of it is.  

Shout out to the defense.  Except for questionable 3rd down calls, they played really well once again.  As a team, our defense is our best unit which is sad considering the talent/resources allocated to the offense

It's been that way for nearly his entire career (2016 being the exception, when Shanahan's scheme didn't allow for that level of control by the QB. His intelligence and leadership have been his strengths from the beginning. 

One of the most puzzling questions during Ryan's  career is how the franchise QB (with an MVP trophy on the shelf) has either never had the influence to put his stamp on the Offense (who the OC is, whether he calls the Offense or just runs the plays the OC calls) or has preferred OCs that most fans strongly oppose. 

If Ryan supported Koetter being brought back as OC, that contradicts a LOT of the TATF narrative about who's to blame. If Ryan opposed Koetter being brought back as OC, then Blank and McKay run this franchise differently than others who have a former MVP at QB. 

21 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

We've made this observation for years. Only reason I can think if that we don't do it more is that it works.

13 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

It's been that way for nearly his entire career (2016 being the exception, when Shanahan's scheme didn't allow for that level of control by the QB. His intelligence and leadership have been his strengths from the beginning. 

One of the most puzzling questions during Ryan's  career is how the franchise QB (with an MVP trophy on the shelf) has either never had the influence to put his stamp on the Offense (who the OC is, whether he calls the Offense or just runs the plays the OC calls) or has preferred OCs that most fans strongly oppose. 

If Ryan supported Koetter being brought back as OC, that contradicts a LOT of the TATF narrative about who's to blame. If Ryan opposed Koetter being brought back as OC, then Blank and McKay run this franchise differently than others who have a former MVP at QB. 

Ryan had no input.

/thread

13 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Would appreciate being able to read more about that - link?

Google it yourself.

Falcon writers covered this at the time Dirk was hired AND after Quinn was fired.

SOMEONE in the Org pushed for Dirk as a “at least Matt will be comfortable” approach but they didn’t involve Ryan in the process. This was seemingly after all or nothing for Kubiak. Now look at Cousins for the Vikings.

Stop getting narratives in your head.

11 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

I actually miss Sark. He probably would have developed into a better OC than he was in 2018. 

Yep. And we had a worse OL and Free was on IR that year.

Still, we had a pass game feasting. Sure, better defenses matched up and punished us during the 5 game losing skid when a lack of ground attack hurt us.

Mularkey was supposed to be that hire to fix the run game.

To this day we still have Morgan coaching for a team not featuring outside zone.

Bill Callahan was available this offseason after Mularkey was like “I’m out” one year working with Dirk. Atlanta said they were going back to wide zone. Maybe that’s why TD and Quinn didn’t think to upgrade OL coach when a better FIT AND a better coach was available for what we ARE running.

Nope.

:doh:

Give me Sark with the OL investments and someone other than HR or nothing TeCo...over this.

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

Google it yourself.

Falcon writers covered this at the time Dirk was hired AND after Quinn was fired.

SOMEONE in the Org pushed for Dirk as a “at least Matt will be comfortable” approach but they didn’t involve Ryan in the process.

An MVP QB who:

- is not consulted about who the OC is;

- has no control over playcalling in the best year of his career (right? the explanation for why Ryan didn't overrule Shanahan in the SB is he didn't control playcalling)

That doesn't sound like a franchise that gets fixed with a simple coordinator change (or is the theory that now that Quinn and Dmitroff are gone, now Ryan will have influence that he hasn't had up to this point?).

And you should take your own advice about "stop getting narratives in your head." I've been on TATF for more than a decade, a STH since 2009, and have posted on this board than Ryan is the best QB in Falcons history and have never posted that the team would be better off without him. 

Whatever.  Matt Ryan won't run.  He simply would rather take a sack than step forward over the line.  

Just below 49% completion and still doesn't have the consideration for his teammates or fans to put in the effort.  

I'm cool if you want to tell me he's gonna be in the HoF some day or that we almost won the Super Bowl.  He should be benched for this.  This loss was 50% secondary not participating and 50% Ryan not filling holes when he had the chance.  There were at least 7 opportunities I saw with Marta bus sized holes on 3rd down and he'd just whiz the ball to the edge instead of stepping forward for an easy pickup.  Go ahead, cuss me out.  He was a total pansy today.

34 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

An MVP QB who:

- is not consulted about who the OC is;

- has no control over playcalling in the best year of his career (right? the explanation for why Ryan didn't overrule Shanahan in the SB is he didn't control playcalling)

That doesn't sound like a franchise that gets fixed with a simple coordinator change (or is the theory that now that Quinn and Dmitroff are gone, now Ryan will have influence that he hasn't had up to this point?).

And you should take your own advice about "stop getting narratives in your head." I've been on TATF for more than a decade, a STH since 2009, and have posted on this board than Ryan is the best QB in Falcons history and have never posted that the team would be better off without him. 

Just don’t like spread of misinformation. Fair enough otherwise.

I was being too harsh. We all just want to win. Obviously, Ryan’s heir needs groomed at some point in the near future.

and yes, there is clearly a problem in the org.

The right coaching is a core problem though.

And if Quinn felt pressure to replace coordinators after falling to 7-9 after the chance to go back to SB...

It’s speculation as to who but many on here think McKay has either been involved or somehow related to AB’s possible involvement.

The report was made and DQ said on camera Ryan would not be involved and was not involved in the process of replacement coordinator.

I mean, DQ planned on Sark as an option before our 2016 season even started. Was Matt consulted then? No.

Contrary to speculation...players don’t pick coaches.

That is the bottom line.

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Google it yourself.

SOMEONE in the Org pushed for Dirk as a “at least Matt will be comfortable” approach but they didn’t involve Ryan in the process. This was seemingly after all or nothing for Kubiak. Now look at Cousins for the Vikings.

Never saw or heard this ANYWHERE before you just said it. Please place a link. Because I read, watch and listen to everything Falcons and I have not heard this. If it did get past me somehow I would like to read it. 

18 minutes ago, treboyplay said:

Never saw or heard this ANYWHERE before you just said it. Please place a link. Because I read, watch and listen to everything Falcons and I have not heard this. If it did get past me somehow I would like to read it. 

You guys are so lazy and troll.

1 search on google. 1st result.

1 hour ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

Now y’all want Sark back...lol. Y’all couldn’t wait to run him out of here.

I’m in the minority.  Don’t think we would be a whole lot better with Sark. We’d be better, probably top 10-12 DVOA, but not what we should be IMO.  Like Koetter, under Sark we were the top passing offense and the worst rushing offense.  Sark went five straight weeks without breaking 20 points and that period cost us the playoffs and him a job.  

Man I love Matt.. greatest falcon QB ever. In saying that get what we can from a bag needy team.

Really it's time to attempt to part ways. Possibly from the Jets for two second rd picks since they are taking on his contract.

With the weapons we have we can use any rookie QB or maybe even Josh Rosen.

19 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Man I love Matt.. greatest falcon QB ever. In saying that get what we can from a bag needy team.

Really it's time to attempt to part ways. Possibly from the Jets for two second rd picks since they are taking on his contract.

With the weapons we have we can use any rookie QB or maybe even Josh Rosen.

I'd much rather ride Ryan until he literally can't lift a football anymore vs sending him to the Jets. No one deserves to be on the Jets.

More times than not, you'll see the Falcons offense get in a good rhythm with the no-huddle/hurry up. The problem is more times than not, the Falcons wait until the game is out of hand to use the no-huddle. No, you can't use a no-huddle for most of the game. However, you can use the  no-huddle to close out the 1st half, or you can use it in the middle of the third, and so on. The offense is constantly starting slow, and Koetter is to blame for that. Also, as much as I love MR, he made some awful throws today. Also, the Falcons record is garbage, so would it hurt to try a fake punt at some point, you know, one that you actually practiced since you've decided not to make good offensive plays? This team is so unimaginative that it is sickening. The Falcons are just destined to keep failing.

Edited by 4dabirds