Should the Falcons draft a running back in the 2nd round this off-season?

Again, the only reason to spend any draft capital on a running back period is if, and only if, we get an OC who knows how to properly use him and who fully embraces a running/screen game. If we aren’t going to do that then don’t waste any draft picks on a back. Use those picks for defense and sign a UDFA to fill the RB slot. 

With that being said, I DO hope we draft a good running back and get an OC who knows how to maximize his skill set and impact in our offense. 

Run the ball and stop the run is still a good recipe for winning football. Not necessarily championship but winning football. See Tennessee Titans... I’m for drafting one in the first or second if he makes the grade. A grade A running back could extend Ryan’s career by several years with the threat of a dominant run game. 

3 hours ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

Not that early. We can get a decent back late. I wouldn’t consider drafting a RB until the possibly the 4th

I used to agree, but now I'm thinking- we did that with the guys we have now (besides TG and he's not scaring anyone anymore) and none of them are very good.  It might be time to go for the best one as soon as we can.  

44 minutes ago, chris2010 said:

Jermar Jefferson out of Oregon St. Best back in the PAC 12. Can probably get him in the 3rd-4th rd

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4374033/jermar-jefferson

I don't know I can't really get behind a Pac-12 running back when was the last time they had a dominant running back come out. And by dominant I mean at least four or five year of a thousand yards

17 minutes ago, oztin said:

I don't know I can't really get behind a Pac-12 running back when was the last time they had a dominant running back come out. And by dominant I mean at least four or five year of a thousand yards

What about my man Patterson from the University of Buffalo.  In his last 7 games he has accumulated Barry Sanders level production

• Rushing: 1,591 yards in 7 Games

• Per Game Average: 228 ypg

• Touchdowns: 28 TD’s or 4 per game

• Yards Per Carry: 8.1

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

What about my man Patterson from the University of Buffalo.  In his last 7 games he has accumulated Barry Sanders level production

• Rushing: 1,591 yards in 7 Games

• Per Game Average: 228 ypg

• Touchdowns: 28 TD’s or 4 per game

• Yards Per Carry: 8.1

Ha! We are on the same page. 
Yeah, this kid would be freaking perfect in ATL. 

Still believe we should go BPA with every pick in every round. Even at loaded positions. Yeah QB too. Had we done that the last 13 drafts we'd be absolutely stacked. Never fall into a Dimi needs based chasm. Ever. Take care of needs with mid level veteran free agent NFL football players that know how to play ball on day one. Trade picks for vets and let their teams pick up dead money.

47 minutes ago, oztin said:

I mean they haven’t produced a ton but more recently, Phillip Lindsay has had back to back 1000 yard seasons. And there is also that mccaffrey guy in Carolina that is pretty solid. 

najee or chuba in round 2 would be nice, but if they're both gone wait til round 6/7 or udfa for a rb.

patterson tho, c'mon man. the guy's tiny and has average speed. maybe if he puts on 40 pounds i'll buy it. he'll be in the arena league before too long. stop looking at numbers or just watching highlights and actually watch games folks.

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Still believe we should go BPA with every pick in every round. Even at loaded positions. Yeah QB too. Had we done that the last 13 drafts we'd be absolutely stacked. Never fall into a Dimi needs based chasm. Ever. Take care of needs with mid level veteran free agent NFL football players that know how to play ball on day one. Trade picks for vets and let their teams pick up dead money.

I agree for the most part.  I still think you can fill need and BPA by moving back and adding picks.  I did two simulations: the first is pure BPA and the second one I traded out of round 1 to add picks and went BPA except for QB

4p65a4.jpg

4p65ps.jpg