This will be Raheem’s true test if he deserves to be our HC next year

Xfactor

Can Raheem Morris earn the head coaching job next year ? A victory over the Saints this Sunday would go a long way to accomplishing that goal. 

Morris and company need a new game plan coming in to this matchup. Even though the Saints bolster a number 1 defense we have to establish the run starting with OL. To move the ball effectively and score we need more up tempo and quick passes this time around to keep Ryan upright and not sacked 8 times.

The last game ended up 24-9 but the game was a lot closer until the final quarter. The series early in the second half where Koetter called two run plays up the gut back to back resulted in a 3 and out was the turning point. After the terrible play calling the Saints pulled away.

Im curious to see what Raheem and Koetter come up with if this Sunday if it’s the same **** then they both should be fired at the end of the year. 

18 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I seriously doubt it.  I think he may get another chance somewhere else but this franchise has been tainted with this regime, FO, and coaches. So no, he won't be here next year.

I agree, the problem is, does Blank/McKay agree as well (still don't know why McKay is here)

30 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I seriously doubt it.  I think he may get another chance somewhere else but this franchise has been tainted with this regime, FO, and coaches. So no, he won't be here next year.

More than any other game Morriss has HC'ed so far.... this upcoming Saints game will determine if Morriss is our HC next year, or not.   I believe Blank is looking for reasons to keep Morriss.   The last Saints game was a nail in the coffin of that idea..

Raheem's Falcons need to play a tough game against NO to pull that nail out........

Edited by egoprime II

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

I agree, the problem is, does Blank/McKay agree as well (still don't know why McKay is here)

About McKay.....there are lots of reasons why he is here.   His early body of work showed that he is a good GM to have.  He and Tim Ruskell formed a formidable duo when it came to drafting players and signing FA's.

McKay got hit with a triple whammy when three things happened which were totally beyond McKay's control...... Ruskell left to become GM of, I believe, the Seahawks.  Vick went to jail.   Petrino abruptly left (about Petrino, rumor is his wife and daughter wanted to leave Atlanta.  Petrino still sucks as a person though... ).

Then Blank tosses the new stadium project McKay's way.  There's only so many hours in a day.   Which is how Dimitroff came to be hired.   Because McKay's other duties were deemed more vital to the Falcons as an organization.

So McKay is here to stay.  I doubt he takes over as GM though.

16 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

No offense man, but reason to keep Morris?  Was the same philosophy that was (a reason to keep Quinn) that got us here in the first place. Mr. Blank needs to change, and that would mean getting rid of Radio, Koetter, and McKay.

No offense taken, we are just expressing opinions here.  Its all good, man.  🙂

My post was my opinion as to how AB is thinking.  My opinion goes like this:  Koetter and his unimaginative offense, gone.... I would like our defensive coaches to stay, with -possibly- a new 3-4 DC brought in..... jury's still out on Morriss.

As far as McKay goes, I just made a post about him.  He's gonna be here unless or until he wants to leave.

6 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Respecting your opinion, just not agreeing with it.  I want tabula rasa on this regime including McKay (I know he's staying bust I wish he wasn't) but those are our realities. 

I don't blame you for thinking that way....I've been watching this team since 1977, and believe me.... there have been many many times when I wanted everyone gone, including the owners!

The last three seasons, seeing all this wasted potential, has been extremely frustrating for everyone.   Especially knowing that after the Super Bowl, the wrong coach left.....

Thing is, when something is working.....right now our defense -IS- working....I see no reason to change.   Because finding good, effective coaches is very hard.  Best to keep the good ones you already have.

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I think a new HC will not want any part of this past regime. They will want to bring in their own guys. When we got hot on the backend of the previous two season our defense was playing well, but then they came back to start off the season bad again. I just don't want any part of that moving forward.  I think Ulbrich might be part of the reason we are playing better, but that's up to a new HC to determine. 

Throw in the fact that Blank has already said the new GM will have a say as to who the new HC is..... what we end up with is the same exact mess this team was when Dimitroff and Smitty were hired.   Albeit the Falcons are a more talented team now, than then.

About Ulbrich.... he is the one coach this team needs to keep.  His work over the years with our LBs has been exemplary.  A classic do-more-with-less coach.

I think this game is more of fanbase feel good about our season thing than keeping Morris if he wins thing. 

Could you imagine not doing a full overhaul of coaching staff, keeping Morris, and starting next season 0-5? Just would not be clear forward thinking in a business sense.

They are all gone, Ulbrich included unless new guy is associated with him in some form or fashion, and even then I think he should also go. Even with win Sunday.

3 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

A new OC and GM should be enough to excite the fan base. I saw a stat that the Falcons are a top 5 defense since Raheem and Ulbrich took over after Quinn was fired. Arthur should probably have made a decision after Chiefs game.

3 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

I wish him the best but I think he has to win this game and probably beat KC and TB one time to have a chance. It’s not just this game IMO. 

If the Falcons lose to the Chiefs by a few points but the defense plays well he could probably still get it. He probably has to win 3 of 4 against the Saints, Bucs and Chiefs. 

5 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If the Falcons lose to the Chiefs by a few points but the defense plays well he could probably still get it. He probably has to win 3 of 4 against the Saints, Bucs and Chiefs. 

If we win 4 of the next 5  then we finish 8-8......which would be a 8-3 record for Morris.....and we are in good position to end up in the top 10 in yards and points on offense and upper half of the league in points allowed.

That kind of turn around is hard to ignore and if we do not keep him then I think someone will snatch him up.

34 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

If we win 4 of the next 5  then we finish 8-8......which would be a 8-3 record for Morris.....and we are in good position to end up in the top 10 in yards and points on offense and upper half of the league in points allowed.

That kind of turn around is hard to ignore and if we do not keep him then I think someone will snatch him up.

Snatch him up as what? 
Not seeing him as a legit HC candidate anywhere. 

1 minute ago, ShaneFalco said:

Snatch him up as what? 
Not seeing him as a legit HC candidate anywhere. 

Then you are not paying much attention.

He is still regarded highly around the league and there has been some national attention to him as a HC with the 4-2 start.

If we finish 8-8 then I would bet more than a dollar that he gets a HC gig somewhere.

I've said it and don't think my opinion will change.  If Morris keeps winning (or at least being competitive in spite of the offense being the issue) I am in favor of him staying HC and Ulbrich at DC.   I am simply not one of those "grass is always greener" guys.  It's why I don't believe in tanking and I also don't believe that swapping out bodies assures success.  Rah (and Brick as I can't really separate them) will need to earn the job but so far they have.  Zero interest in retaining Koetter.   

Let's find a guy who can run our expensive offense and let him concentrate on that piece as opposed to running the team too.  As far as GM's, I want someone who will be similar to what Dimitroff was...generally competent scouting staff and good with getting deals done otherwise letting the coach get his guys for the most part.

I'm sure he'll get a job as a HC. I'm just extremely uneasy about him getting that chance here. 

It's not like he was leaning back in his chair and twiddling his thumbs the last 2 years. He's also been partially responsible for our mess, and that's what I can't shake from my mind. 

I wouldn't be ready to riot if he stays, but I really really really hope that the good we've seen is not just some mirage or product of our competition.

8 hours ago, Xfactor said:

Morris and company need a new game plan coming in to this matchup.

Im curious to see what Raheem and Koetter come up with if this Sunday if it’s the same **** then they both should be fired at the end of the year. 

I honestly believe there is a huge arrogance problem with every NFL head coach or coordinator. They convince themselves that they do no wrong. Their plan is perfect, and only the poor execution of the players can undermine that. I'd bet DK still thinks his plan from 2 weeks ago will work, if only the players do their job.

DQ had the poor judgement of thinking his players were more talented than the opposing players and that talent would win out. So, why bother with a game plan specific to the opponent. 

We seem to have a staff that has a box full of square pegs. They love their pegs and think they are the best pegs ever. Too bad the holes are round and these idiots keep trying to get them to fit.