December 2020 Recruiting Thread

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If the Bulldawgs add these guys via the portal, it’s basically like a free mini recruiting cycle for future NFL players only...lol

Gilbert, Olujari, Temorrion Terry, Siaki Ika

Can't just add all we want from the transfer portal. Those players still have to be worked in under the 25 initial counters, either this cycle or next. And that means taking a slot away from a player with 4 years of eligibility left. We'll make room for some of them I'm sure, but it's not like a buffet table where we can just take what we want. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mondon and Mims are in.. Right now the entire class is in.  We got 20..  

37 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

that is a new vol rumor, but I don't personally see it.. I haven't heard anything about DW being unhappy.. usually if a player is that unhappy it is something that comes out.. especially if he is as high profile as washington.. the WRs leaving for instance has been a rumor for a few months now..  

Yeah, I haven't heard anything about Washington leaving, just wondering since he only has 2 catches.  Truthfully, I have watched him and he hasn't gotten a whole lot of separation at times from coverage.  Monster blocker though. 

14 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Can't just add all we want from the transfer portal. Those players still have to be worked in under the 25 initial counters, either this cycle or next. And that means taking a slot away from a player with 4 years of eligibility left. We'll make room for some of them I'm sure, but it's not like a buffet table where we can just take what we want. 

I know you have to fit them under the cap, but I’ll take a proven player over an unknown prospect 9 times out of 10.

Of that group, I’d take the first 3 as no brainer (Terry being a Junior would be the only reason you pass)

Article about Green from this summer

Nyland Green's life plan is bigger than football

BySTEVE WILTFONG Jul 10, 10:25 AM

The question was, if your life can turn out exactly the way you want it to, how does it go? Nyland Green’s response came quick.

And his answer had nothing to with the NFL. The No. 3 cornerback in the Top247 and No. 23 prospect overall didn’t mention a National Championship in college either.

The Covington (Ga.) Newton senior wasn’t thinking individual accolades, in fact football in general seemed far from his mind.

“I want to open a big homeless shelter,” Green said. “That is something I’ve always wanted to do.”

The 6-foot-2, 183-pound Green doesn’t have the facility yet but he’s already doing what he can to help those in need.

“He amazes me a lot,” Marvin Green, Nyland's father started in. “He came home one day, he said ‘dad I feel good about what I just did.’ He was like 14. He said “I just gave some money to a homeless person. I had 10 dollars in my pocket and I gave it to him.’ I couldn’t believe he did it. You’re so skeptical of so many people and I’m thinking you don’t know him and to find it in his spirit to do that, we don’t even know if we’re handing something to God himself as a test for him to do that.”

That action is now routine for Green. If he has a bag of food in his hand or a couple extra dollars in his pocket, he’s quick to give it to the homeless anytime he sees someone struggling.

“It’s just in me,” Green said. “I eat every day and I can only imagine not eating. They need it more than I do.”

“He’s just a special kid,” his dad rightfully boasted. “He’s different, he strives to be different from anybody else. He tries to do do things different. That’s what stands out most about him to me.”

A top recruiting target for the likes of Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, South Carolina and Tennessee, it wasn’t long ago that Green and his twin sister Nyla needed help. They lived in Mississippi, parents weren’t together, but Marvin who resides in Georgia had been fighting what was a losing custody battle for years. He made the drive two states over for a parent-teacher conference “and the fourth grade teacher didn’t even know how either of my kids made it to the fourth grade.”

Marvin’s stomach hurt and he was scared.

“I took all that information I had to the judge and he gave me sole custody, not joint, gave me sole custody.

His kids were struggling educationally and Marvin hated the way it was trending.

“I’d been battling for custody for years and finally had the ammunition to make it happen,” he said. “These were my words to the judge, I want my children to be productive citizens and not be a statistics in this world.”

“I remember a lot of that but I don’t let it affect me,” Nyland said “From where I came from I knew I had to do better. I wasn’t getting in trouble but stuff I saw and went through.”

The elder Green who is an IT person and helps run a law firm with his wife Tina Williams were able to put Nyland and Nyla in private school from fifth to eighth grade and they’re both flourishing now. Nyla is an aspiring athletic trainer that wants to study sports medicine.

“Hopefully she’ll be his trainer for life,” Marvin laughed.

247Sports National Analyst Charles Power compares Green’s game to that of AJ Terrell who in April heard his named called in the first round of the NFL Draft out of Clemson. The Tigers have been trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball for Green but those SEC programs mentioned are in the thick of this recruitment as well. Nyla herself seems to like South Carolina.

“Has excellent stature and length for the position,” Power wrote in his evaluation. “Owns a lean build with room to fill out. Long-limbed with large hands. Is a bouncy athlete capable of making some above the rim dunks on the basketball court. Productive on both sides of the ball, playing receiver and corner. Shows high-level ball skills with the ability to track and high-point in contested situations. Can pluck the ball off the ground and come down with diving catches. Also works as a safety some for his high school team, showing range playing in cover two. Physical at the line of scrimmage and can use his length to disrupt wide receivers' releases. Shows fluidity in man coverage and can flip his hips and stay attached downfield. Will need to continue honing his cover technique and getting stronger but shows a promising skill set as a big outside cover corner.”

Obviously Green checks a lot of boxes. But the people close to him say it’s the intangibles that make Green truly unique.

“He’s probably the best listener I’ve ever coached,” Newton defensive backs coach Josh Skelton said, adding Green is a generational talent. “A guy you tell him one time he does it. Whether it’s on the field things or off the field things, he listens. He’s not hard-headed, so just his ability to listen is very uncommon at his age.

“We do things a little different,” Skelton continued. “We have 6 am workouts, ever since he was in the eighth grade we’ve always had 6 am workouts. He lives right across the street from the school. What he does every day, he walks to practice, at 5:40 he’s pretty much entering the building. He’s the first one at practice every morning, happy to work, he’s never missed a day. Even if he has a dentist appointment at 8 am he still makes practice. He never misses a workout. It’s almost a religion for him. One of the best things about him is that he really doesn’t believe or know how talented he is. All his confidence comes from his work ethic. When he plays in a game on Friday he’s confident because he strictly believes he outworked everyone out there. He believes he’s outworked everybody and his confidence is on another level because of that.”

That alarm in Nyland’s room goes off at 5 am and his father says he’s “nonstop” from there.

From morning workouts on the field, to an hour lifting in the home gym Nyland helped build, to the projects they seem to always be doing around the house which is now building a man cave in the backyard, to getting classwork done, Green seems to always be moving from one task to the next.

Always with a smile.

"This process has been amazing and something I never thought Id experience before," Nyland said. "But it's a blessing from God is really all I can say."

“I think he deserves everything coming his way,” Marvin said. “He works with us and get his hands dirty. He actually listens. When we told him he needed to be an example as far has his classroom work he did it. His attitude towards people, he became a role model and leader versus a kid walking among his peers.”

Where Green’s path continues is still up in the air. He’d like to make a college decision during his senior season. The pitch from these programs aren’t making it any easier.

“Oh man, Georgia hits me hard, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, Tennessee,” he said.  “It’s a hard decision for us to even choose,” his father added.

4 hours ago, 95Dawg said:

Article about Green from this summer

Nyland Green's life plan is bigger than football

BySTEVE WILTFONG Jul 10, 10:25 AM

The question was, if your life can turn out exactly the way you want it to, how does it go? Nyland Green’s response came quick.

And his answer had nothing to with the NFL. The No. 3 cornerback in the Top247 and No. 23 prospect overall didn’t mention a National Championship in college either.

The Covington (Ga.) Newton senior wasn’t thinking individual accolades, in fact football in general seemed far from his mind.

“I want to open a big homeless shelter,” Green said. “That is something I’ve always wanted to do.”

The 6-foot-2, 183-pound Green doesn’t have the facility yet but he’s already doing what he can to help those in need.

“He amazes me a lot,” Marvin Green, Nyland's father started in. “He came home one day, he said ‘dad I feel good about what I just did.’ He was like 14. He said “I just gave some money to a homeless person. I had 10 dollars in my pocket and I gave it to him.’ I couldn’t believe he did it. You’re so skeptical of so many people and I’m thinking you don’t know him and to find it in his spirit to do that, we don’t even know if we’re handing something to God himself as a test for him to do that.”

That action is now routine for Green. If he has a bag of food in his hand or a couple extra dollars in his pocket, he’s quick to give it to the homeless anytime he sees someone struggling.

“It’s just in me,” Green said. “I eat every day and I can only imagine not eating. They need it more than I do.”

“He’s just a special kid,” his dad rightfully boasted. “He’s different, he strives to be different from anybody else. He tries to do do things different. That’s what stands out most about him to me.”

A top recruiting target for the likes of Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, South Carolina and Tennessee, it wasn’t long ago that Green and his twin sister Nyla needed help. They lived in Mississippi, parents weren’t together, but Marvin who resides in Georgia had been fighting what was a losing custody battle for years. He made the drive two states over for a parent-teacher conference “and the fourth grade teacher didn’t even know how either of my kids made it to the fourth grade.”

Marvin’s stomach hurt and he was scared.

“I took all that information I had to the judge and he gave me sole custody, not joint, gave me sole custody.

His kids were struggling educationally and Marvin hated the way it was trending.

“I’d been battling for custody for years and finally had the ammunition to make it happen,” he said. “These were my words to the judge, I want my children to be productive citizens and not be a statistics in this world.”

“I remember a lot of that but I don’t let it affect me,” Nyland said “From where I came from I knew I had to do better. I wasn’t getting in trouble but stuff I saw and went through.”

The elder Green who is an IT person and helps run a law firm with his wife Tina Williams were able to put Nyland and Nyla in private school from fifth to eighth grade and they’re both flourishing now. Nyla is an aspiring athletic trainer that wants to study sports medicine.

“Hopefully she’ll be his trainer for life,” Marvin laughed.

247Sports National Analyst Charles Power compares Green’s game to that of AJ Terrell who in April heard his named called in the first round of the NFL Draft out of Clemson. The Tigers have been trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball for Green but those SEC programs mentioned are in the thick of this recruitment as well. Nyla herself seems to like South Carolina.

“Has excellent stature and length for the position,” Power wrote in his evaluation. “Owns a lean build with room to fill out. Long-limbed with large hands. Is a bouncy athlete capable of making some above the rim dunks on the basketball court. Productive on both sides of the ball, playing receiver and corner. Shows high-level ball skills with the ability to track and high-point in contested situations. Can pluck the ball off the ground and come down with diving catches. Also works as a safety some for his high school team, showing range playing in cover two. Physical at the line of scrimmage and can use his length to disrupt wide receivers' releases. Shows fluidity in man coverage and can flip his hips and stay attached downfield. Will need to continue honing his cover technique and getting stronger but shows a promising skill set as a big outside cover corner.”

Obviously Green checks a lot of boxes. But the people close to him say it’s the intangibles that make Green truly unique.

“He’s probably the best listener I’ve ever coached,” Newton defensive backs coach Josh Skelton said, adding Green is a generational talent. “A guy you tell him one time he does it. Whether it’s on the field things or off the field things, he listens. He’s not hard-headed, so just his ability to listen is very uncommon at his age.

“We do things a little different,” Skelton continued. “We have 6 am workouts, ever since he was in the eighth grade we’ve always had 6 am workouts. He lives right across the street from the school. What he does every day, he walks to practice, at 5:40 he’s pretty much entering the building. He’s the first one at practice every morning, happy to work, he’s never missed a day. Even if he has a dentist appointment at 8 am he still makes practice. He never misses a workout. It’s almost a religion for him. One of the best things about him is that he really doesn’t believe or know how talented he is. All his confidence comes from his work ethic. When he plays in a game on Friday he’s confident because he strictly believes he outworked everyone out there. He believes he’s outworked everybody and his confidence is on another level because of that.”

That alarm in Nyland’s room goes off at 5 am and his father says he’s “nonstop” from there.

From morning workouts on the field, to an hour lifting in the home gym Nyland helped build, to the projects they seem to always be doing around the house which is now building a man cave in the backyard, to getting classwork done, Green seems to always be moving from one task to the next.

Always with a smile.

"This process has been amazing and something I never thought Id experience before," Nyland said. "But it's a blessing from God is really all I can say."

“I think he deserves everything coming his way,” Marvin said. “He works with us and get his hands dirty. He actually listens. When we told him he needed to be an example as far has his classroom work he did it. His attitude towards people, he became a role model and leader versus a kid walking among his peers.”

Where Green’s path continues is still up in the air. He’d like to make a college decision during his senior season. The pitch from these programs aren’t making it any easier.

“Oh man, Georgia hits me hard, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, Tennessee,” he said.  “It’s a hard decision for us to even choose,” his father added.

3 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

I highly doubt BJ leaves.. the guy is having a terrific season..  

I have no insight into his specific situation so I'm not sure. In terms of production, yeah it seems like he'd be just fine staying there and showing out. In terms of off the field, behind the scenes regular life... I think a lot of those guys are going to be unhappy and looking at their options. LSU is going to be a miserable place to be for a while.

It's crazy to think how pretty much everyone thought Orgeron was a lock to stay at LSU as long as he wanted after last season, but his seat is as hot as can be already with everything going on and LSU is very likely on the hook for some significant sanctions and liability. Fans are already saying he's not the coach they need to get through what's coming and it's hard to disagree with that I think... Orgeron is a walking, talking pile of garbage.

54 minutes ago, Carter said:

I have no insight into his specific situation so I'm not sure. In terms of production, yeah it seems like he'd be just fine staying there and showing out. In terms of off the field, behind the scenes regular life... I think a lot of those guys are going to be unhappy and looking at their options. LSU is going to be a miserable place to be for a while.

It's crazy to think how pretty much everyone thought Orgeron was a lock to stay at LSU as long as he wanted after last season, but his seat is as hot as can be already with everything going on and LSU is very likely on the hook for some significant sanctions and liability. Fans are already saying he's not the coach they need to get through what's coming and it's hard to disagree with that I think... Orgeron is a walking, talking pile of garbage.

Well I tried telling the LSU faithful last year, coach “O” would struggle if not for his great coordinators. So Im not surprised at all. 

1 hour ago, Carter said:

actually a few UGA guys from LSU were saying Coach O may very well be fired this year in the preseason..  I saw cajun dawg and another who are both close to LSU boosters and were saying there were some major issues within the LSU program.. I remember seeing uga poster after uga poster say there is no way Coach O is gone.. it does sound like though Coach O might end up the fall guy for the not addressing the rape allegations within the program.  Internally things have fallen apart and a number of boosters are well aware.. Then you also have the deal with the buying of players that they are waiting for punishment on.  They are in for some trouble in the next few years.. Regarding BJ who really knows.. I don't see him leaving with what I have heard, but again things can change week to week at LSU.. there is a lot of toxic issues internally. 

On 12/8/2020 at 11:20 AM, RandomFan said:

From SoFL today about Gilbert: 

There is work to do if Arik make its official. We still need to keep DW0. There is some work to do there as there’s some dissatisfaction.

So yeah, seems like Washington might not be completely happy at this time. 

Random Fan:

is the translation:   We aren't necessarily the favorite for Arik Gilbert (the Bama thing you mentioned that they were #2 originally)

and:    Darnell Washington isn't happy right now?

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Random Fan:

is the translation:   We aren't necessarily the favorite for Arik Gilbert (the Bama thing you mentioned that they were #2 originally)

and:    Darnell Washington isn't happy right now?

Not exactly sure what you are asking, but what I said about the Bama thing is pure speculation on my part because I remembered that we didn't actually finish 2nd in his recruitment. 

Regarding what I posted from SoFL, if I'm understanding what you are asking, both SoFL and Americus have said we are in it for him, haven't said if we are or aren't the favorites. And then separately that we have some work to do on DW0 as there is some dissatisfaction. He said in a later post it was related to play calls and usage, but I"m sure you saw that already since I know you're a member of that forum. Which is why I'm not exactly sure what you are asking me here. 

Rivals UGA guys have said that if Gilbert transfers then the only place he’s going to end up is UGA. They have had a very good record of being straight with this kind of info, so if that changes I would expect them to say so as well. The number of times a “what we’re hearing” thread has gone up by staff and it’s bad news for the good guys has been more than a few lol

For what it’s worth, Bulldog Bob stated plainly he’s going to be a Dawg.

36 minutes ago, Carter said:

Rivals UGA guys have said that if Gilbert transfers then the only place he’s going to end up is UGA. They have had a very good record of being straight with this kind of info, so if that changes I would expect them to say so as well. The number of times a “what we’re hearing” thread has gone up by staff and it’s bad news for the good guys has been more than a few lol

For what it’s worth, Bulldog Bob stated plainly he’s going to be a Dawg.

That's the impression I got from SoFL and Americus too, but I didn't want to be accused of reading between the lines too much...