December 2020 Recruiting Thread

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mondon and Mims are in.. Right now the entire class is in.  We got 20..  

16 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Brock bowers should go elsewhere. Between Gilbert and Washington he’ll never see the field- free up a spot for this class 

Nah, Bowers is a monster himself and will make for a big mismatch in our offense. Guys like that at TE don’t just grow on trees. Daniels has already shown he’s going to throw it to everyone no matter where they are on the field. Bowers is a big get in this class.

1 hour ago, 007dawg said:

No inside info, but wouldn’t surprise me to see Washington head back out West.  

34 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Nah, Washington and Gilbert compliment each other very well. 

Exactly. And with the 3 more WR's we are likely losing to the transfer portal soon, if we do add Gilbert as expected then that would lend itself to seeing more double TE sets. 

23 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Nah, Washington and Gilbert compliment each other very well. 

We pitched them both hard on playing together. Gilbert and Washington were about it too. Gilbert just got convinced to go to LSU with the way that offense played last year. Things have obviously changed in a big way over there though. Gilbert made friends with a lot of guys on the team and tight with a few, I don’t think anyone will be bothered if he’s with us. 

1 hour ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Brock bowers should go elsewhere. Between Gilbert and Washington he’ll never see the field- free up a spot for this class 

why do our fans want guys to go elsewhere?  i see it a lot on other boards.  I never see that with bama fans or auburn fans or vol fans.. Do you know anything about bowers and how talented he is?  Bowers is going to play a lot.. he steps on campus being one of our most talented offensive players. 

1 hour ago, 007dawg said:

No inside info, but wouldn’t surprise me to see Washington head back out West.  

that is a new vol rumor, but I don't personally see it.. I haven't heard anything about DW being unhappy.. usually if a player is that unhappy it is something that comes out.. especially if he is as high profile as washington.. the WRs leaving for instance has been a rumor for a few months now..  

1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

why do our fans want guys to go elsewhere?  i see it a lot on other boards.  I never see that with bama fans or auburn fans or vol fans.. Do you know anything about bowers and how talented he is?  Bowers is going to play a lot.. he steps on campus being one of our most talented offensive players. 

I'm not arguing for him to go elsewhere, but I do think it's fair for positions with relatively low contributions from players deeper on the roster to at least be a bit more selective with how heavy we get there. At QB, the problem was managing the egos in the room. If we stack the TE room 3 deep with elite prospects (Washington + a Gilbert transfer + Bowers joining) there are going to be some hurt feelings in all likelihood. The upside here would be that Gilbert has the ability to flex out, and Bowers could redshirt and/or be a bigger special teams contributor in year 1. We only have about 15 total TE receptions on the year and only 2 are for TDs. Monken hasn't traditionally done a great job with TEs in college, though his time at Tampa with 2 quality TEs certainly highlighted that he *can* utilize them well. JT has shown he can make pretty much all the throws we want at least inside of 30 yards down field (floats a bit on him on longer throws), so in order to keep all the receiver emotions under control, it's at least worth considering if we're overstacking the deck. The portal isn't going away... while it might giveth, it also taketh away. :lol: I trust the staff to make the right call still, so if they believe Bowers makes us better, so be it. But... it would be nice for us to actually show that we know how to use the position if we're going to stack it up super deep, or we may just be inviting more negative recruiting.

Yeah I don't get it with Washington. He has gotten a lot of playing time this year and is only going to get better. 

If we were talking about TEs transferring, I'd be more thinking about whether the older players might consider transferring. 

I'm not sure how much playing time Fitzpatrick, Goede, and Seither might get with those 3 on the team.