December 2020 Recruiting Thread

Carter

18 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I got you on the hankton thing.. i just wanted to point out this isn't anything new..  some might think it has to do with this recruiting class and it doesn't.. it was a bad hire.. kirby has a few hires that have been pretty poor, but fortunately he is able to within a few years figure it out and move on.  who replaces hankton will be interesting.  i wonder if they promote faulkner to QB coach on staff and let monken handle wrs.  We will see on Chaz.  Friends of mine who have seen him in person rave about him and they aren't guys who are homers either.. you get him in our S&C program and it will be quite interesting how he transforms his body.. I think he is a guy who will produce right away on special teams and get some playing time and then in year 2 really shows us why our staff coveted him.. Kirby and this staff just loves Chaz. 

I don’t believe Monken will take over the WR room but I also think it’s easier to find a WR coach than a QB coach. Either way it’s best for both parties (Hankton and UGA) 

2 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I don’t believe Monken will take over the WR room but I also think it’s easier to find a WR coach than a QB coach. Either way it’s best for both parties (Hankton and UGA) 

Faulkner played QB in the Air Raid and has been an OC before. I'm sure he can handle the QB coach slot.

4 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Faulkner played QB in the Air Raid and has been an OC before. I'm sure he can handle the QB coach slot.

I’m all for it but it’s going to come down to what Monken wants to do and Kirby will go along accordingly. Rumor was Monken didn’t want to coach WRs exclusively but that could’ve changed 

Monken's strength is coaching WR's; Faulkner's strength is coaching QB's. It all depends on if Faulkner is the OC being groomed to take over when Monken leaves, as is assumed, or not. If he is, then it would make sense to move him up to an on field coaching role asap to keep him from getting poached. 

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Monken's strength is coaching WR's; Faulkner's strength is coaching QB's. It all depends on if Faulkner is the OC being groomed to take over when Monken leaves, as is assumed, or not. If he is, then it would make sense to move him up to an on field coaching role asap to keep him from getting poached. 

Yeah, either way I’m fine with it. Hankton just never go the most out of our talented WRs. 

20 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

I’m all for it but it’s going to come down to what Monken wants to do and Kirby will go along accordingly. Rumor was Monken didn’t want to coach WRs exclusively but that could’ve changed 

There was a reason he took over the wr room.. hankton was a bad hire..  our wrs did a poor job running routes to get open and that changed this year.. I really love how our wrs played overall this year.. if we had a qb who could have taken advantage of that early this offense would have been so freaking explosive.  

22 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

For not wanting to do it he's done a lot of it.

1989–1990 Grand Valley State (GA)
1991–1992 Notre Dame (GA)
1993–1997 Eastern Michigan (DB/WR)
1998–1999 Eastern Michigan (OC/WR)
2000 Louisiana Tech (RB/WR)
2001 Louisiana Tech (WR)
2002–2004 Oklahoma State (PGC/WR)
2005–2006 LSU (PGC/WR)
2007–2010 Jacksonville Jaguars (WR)
2011–2012 Oklahoma State (OC/QB)
2013–2015 Southern Miss
2016–2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (OC/WR)
2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (OC)
2019 Cleveland Browns (OC)
2020–present Georgia (OC/QB)

18 minutes ago, Ransack said:

For not wanting to do it he's done a lot of it.

1989–1990 Grand Valley State (GA)
1991–1992 Notre Dame (GA)
1993–1997 Eastern Michigan (DB/WR)
1998–1999 Eastern Michigan (OC/WR)
2000 Louisiana Tech (RB/WR)
2001 Louisiana Tech (WR)
2002–2004 Oklahoma State (PGC/WR)
2005–2006 LSU (PGC/WR)
2007–2010 Jacksonville Jaguars (WR)
2011–2012 Oklahoma State (OC/QB)
2013–2015 Southern Miss
2016–2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (OC/WR)
2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (OC)
2019 Cleveland Browns (OC)
2020–present Georgia (OC/QB)

I think he wanted more control of the QB room at this moment, it didn’t have anything to do with him not being able to coach WR. 

6 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I think he wanted more control of the QB room at this moment, it didn’t have anything to do with him not being able to coach WR. 

that might be the issue with a walk on and young qbs, but this coming year with JTD returning and bennett along with brock basically sitting and learning he might be good with focusing on wrs as well and maybe bringing faulkner on as a QB coach.. we hired faulkner for a reason..  Kirby knows Monken isn't going to be in Athens longterm.. I just wonder if kirby is more interested in bringing in another recruiter (not sure how good of a recruiter faulkner is). 

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

that might be the issue with a walk on and young qbs, but this coming year with JTD returning and bennett along with brock basically sitting and learning he might be good with focusing on wrs as well and maybe bringing faulkner on as a QB coach.. we hired faulkner for a reason..  Kirby knows Monken isn't going to be in Athens longterm.. I just wonder if kirby is more interested in bringing in another recruiter (not sure how good of a recruiter faulkner is). 

That very well be the case about why he wanted more control of the QB room. Kirby will work around Faulkner being a bad recruiter if he’s a great OC. (Look at Chaney expect he wasn’t great at either). 

3 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I’m thinking it’s Gilbert, if so he will be at UGA. Also could be Tank too but feel better on Gilbert 

Any idea on where Tank ends up and is it a given that he’s hitting the portal?

11 minutes ago, RxDawg said:

Any idea on where Tank ends up and is it a given that he’s hitting the portal?

UGA is likely a strong possibility IF he were to hit the portal but I have no confidence in that.