Koo Appreciation Thread

WhenFalconsWin

Yep.  First of all, early in his career he's already slightly ahead of Matt Bryant (Sic'Em!).  

I get it, we all grew up razzing the PK and punter in school.  But c'mon, Koo is solid gold money.  

Said it before, there is no other position in football or any other sport where the fan expectation is 100%.  So there's frankly not much dumber than saying a kicker lost a game on a missed FG or won a game on a made FG.  Reason is the O is supposed to close the possession.  Right?  If you drop the ball (pun intended) at the 40 yard line nobody has any business expecting the PK to clean up 100% of the time.  Get closer or better yet, make a TD and then you can blame the kicker if a PAT misses (if and only if the snap and the hold are perfect).  

Koo is awesome.  He's reliable, accurate, no attitude, no BS.  Maybe one day a kid will order a jersey with a kicker's name on the back.  And I hope that name is Koo.

3 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Yep. 

Koo is awesome.  He's reliable, accurate, no attitude, no BS.  Maybe one day a kid will order a jersey with a kicker's name on the back.  And I hope that name is Koo.

He also tackles, has recovered a fumble, has numerous successful on sides kicks, and likes to get in the mix of things.

Koo has been great!   As long as he can stay healthy and keep his mind right, I think we have our kicker for at least the next 5 years.

Nice to see I called one right.  LOL

November 12, 2019

"I understand wanting to pump the brakes given our recent history of kicking issues... but you need to take Koo's recent history into consideration too.

I know he had a pretty terrible start to his NFL career (3/6 for the Chargers), but he was a near 90% accuracy guy at GA Southern and more recently was 100% accurate (14/14) in the AAF before it folded.  I am more inclined to believe Koo is the high accuracy guy he was in college and the AAF than he was the inaccurate guy for a couple of games with the Chargers.

For comparison.. Tavecchio was a 75% guy in college... and a 76% guy with the Raiders but we banked on him being better than that after he went 5/5 in limited chances last year.  He showed through camp and preseason that he really is the 75% guy his history told us he was."

1 hour ago, NWFALCON said:

Great free agent pick up. Thanks for bringing him home TD

A good sign, happy to have him. I feel confident when he kicks and surprisingly has a stronger leg than I thought.  Someone said sign him to a long term deal, I'd go a couple years and see because kickers are so fickle and their mind games can play tricks on their leg. 

5 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

A good sign, happy to have him. I feel confident when he kicks and surprisingly has a stronger leg than I thought.  Someone said sign him to a long term deal, I'd go a couple years and see because kickers are so fickle and their mind games can play tricks on their leg. 

Agreed on the long term thing.  I wouldn't go more than 4 years on a deal.   If he outplays it, then look at extending him.   But a big part of kicking is mental, so all it takes is to hit a bad stretch to pretty much ruin a kicker's confidence.  Even the greats, like Matt Bryant and Jason Elam, lost it when their confidence was shaken.  Reward Koo.  He is young enough to have a bright, long future ahead of him, but don't make the contract too long because if he falls back into being the guy on the Chargers from the beginning of his NFL career, we need to be able to get out from under the contract.   Do I think he will regress like that?  No, not really, but we need to be careful just in case.

1 minute ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

Agreed on the long term thing.  I wouldn't go more than 4 years on a deal.   If he outplays it, then look at extending him.   But a big part of kicking is mental, so all it takes is to hit a bad stretch to pretty much ruin a kicker confidence.  Even the greats, like Matt Bryant and Jason Elam, lose it when their confidence was shaken.   Reward Koo.  He is young enough to have a bright, long future ahead of him, but don't make the contract too long because if he falls back into being the guy on the Chargers from the beginning of his NFL career, we need to be able to get out from under the contract.   Do I think he will regress like that?  No, not really, but we need to be careful just in case.

4 years isn't so long, but I think a fair contract for a kicker. 

A guy who misses a FG he is capable of making

But then gets his leg rolled over by an opponent

Has his team draw a penalty as a result so no immediate kick is needed

Goes to the sideline for several minutes while his team scores a TD

Comes in recovered and kicks the PAT without any problem

And does not suffer any sustained injury

Has to have a good amount of luck on his side not just talent

Edited by jlrfalcon