Can't stand this but great coaching is the only way to beat this

Part of the Saints’ defensive plan it to play tight man-to-man coverage that borders on questionable play.

“I think they go with the basketball theory that if you’re fouling on every play then they won’t call it all the time,” Koetter said. “That’s just part of it. That’s part of what makes them who they are. Then you couple that with they have a good pass rush, then you can’t hold the ball.”

The Falcons plan to run the ball better against the Saints because the pass defense was so stifling.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/falcons-brace-for-rematch-with-vaunted-saints/ZJ5ZER4BOVGILHQMS5ZRNVLHMM/

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying.  

The Saints try to get away with holds, interference, illegal contact, picks, whatever opportunity there is available depending on the situation. 

You don't have to like them but you have to respect the way they've been taught to frustrate their opponents and pull the wool over the refs' eyes.  

For once, I agree with Koetter. They definitely toe the line when it comes to holding, illegal contact, and pass interference.

Koetter has to adjust with more rub routes, motion, and stack formations to help our receivers get open. It would also help if we could run the ball. Unfortunately, all of these concepts seem foreign to Koetter so our defense better show up.

Cant be afraid to pass the ball against tight (single) coverage. 

You cant allow them to shrink your gameplan because they decide to be physical.

Got to step up and be physical back. Force the refs to call something. Don't push off, down fall down at the catch point. Just go toe to toe and dogfight it out.

I admire that style. Frustrates opponents and forces a coach to actually coach and scheme. (ahem... Koetter) If they don't get caught it isn't a foul. But Karma always has a funny way of catching up to teams like that. See their last 2 playoff exits. Especially vs the Rams. The notorious no PI call. A little taste of their own medicine.😁

We’re just applying the Roddy White method of how he’d push off every play and only get called for OPI once every few games. 🤷🏻‍♂️

12 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

The Saints O-line is notorious for holding too. 

Yet you can hear a church mouse fart while Cam Jordan is in a chokehold and STILL sacks Ryan. 👀

Edited by Iron Saint
1 hour ago, Iron Saint said:

We’re just applying the Roddy White method of how he’d push off every play and only get called for OPI once every few games. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yet you can hear a church mouse fart while Cam Jordan is in a chokehold and STILL sacks Ryan. 👀

Jesus if I got to go against the clowns Atlanta has trotted out on the online for the past decade I’d be an all pro too.  

Edited by Godzilla1985
14 hours ago, vel said:

Exactly. Why is this rocket science? I'd have a ton of bunch sets ready to go. Reduced splits. Rubs. Crossers. The works. But nope, we'll see a ton of 4 and 5 wide iso looks again. 

The question is why didn’t he already know this? The saints have been playing this way for years. Why wouldn’t he have a game plan to counter their aggressiveness?? Smh

Lattimore has been holding since the day he entered the league. Early on the refs started calling it this year and Lattimore to no ones surprise looked like a dumpster fire. Now they have started to let them slide again and sure enough Lattimore looks good again (When he has played). Shocker.

While in general I don't mind the no calls, I find it hilarious Julio is mugged every game by every DB that covers him and yet you would struggle to think of 5 occurrences DPI, Defensive holding or illegal contact was flagged against a guy covering Julio. Meanwhile let us breath wrong on a WR and its a free 1st down.

23 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Cant be afraid to pass the ball against tight (single) coverage. 

You cant allow them to shrink your gameplan because they decide to be physical.

Got to step up and be physical back. Force the refs to call something. Don't push off, down fall down at the catch point. Just go toe to toe and dogfight it out.

We don't have any Physical receivers outside of Julio.

8 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

The question is why didn’t he already know this? The saints have been playing this way for years. Why wouldn’t he have a game plan to counter their aggressiveness?? Smh

Here is the thing.

We actually tried several of the things that people are saying that we should have tried.

We tried crossers

We tried  rub routes

We tried slants(the 2nd int was on a quick slant) 

We tried some screens both to Gurley and to the outside.

We tried Max protection.

We tried rolling the pocket to give Matt more space.

So DK did have some things to try and counter what they were doing but it was a combination of Matt holding on to the ball longer than he should, the receivers not doing a good enough jobs at the top of their routes to get seperation.

Even still there were more than a couple opportunities to make plays that did not materialize because the ball did not come out when it should.

The ball has to come out on time..... that did not happen last time.

5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Roddy > Colston

At running his mouth? Not even a competition, Roddy is a 1st ballot Hall of Fame Mouth Runner.

As a NFL WR? Debatable.

On a per game basis, Colston averaged more receptions, yards,TD’s, and a higher yards/reception than Roddy did across their respective careers.

It took Roddy 25 more games to only end with 97 more receptions, 1104 more yards, and 9 less TD’s than Colston did.

Colston would only need to average 3.9 receptions and 44.2 yards across 25 games to reach what Roddy had. To break it down, he’d have to average essentially right around what Russell Gage (4.1 receptions/game, 42.8 yards/game) or Hayden Hurst (3.7 receptions/game, 41.7 yards/game) is producing so far this year. :lol:

Oh and if his career average of 0.5 TD’s per game would hold true, he’d end up with another 12 TD’s putting him at 21 more than Roddy.

The way I look at it, we got equal production out of a late 7th rounder that y’all had to spend a 1st round pick on. :D

1 minute ago, Iron Saint said:

At running his mouth? Not even a competition, Roddy is a 1st ballot Hall of Fame Mouth Runner.

As a NFL WR? Debatable.

On a per game basis, Colston averaged more receptions, yards,TD’s, and a higher yards/reception than Roddy did across their respective careers.

It took Roddy 25 more games to only end with 97 more receptions, 1104 more yards, and 9 less TD’s than Colston did.

Colston would only need to average 3.9 receptions and 44.2 yards across 25 games to reach what Roddy had. To break it down, he’d have to average essentially right around what Russell Gage (4.1 receptions/game, 42.8 yards/game) or Hayden Hurst (3.7 receptions/game, 41.7 yards/game) is producing so far this year. :lol:

Oh and if his career average of 0.5 TD’s per game would hold true, he’d end up with another 12 TD’s putting him at 21 more than Roddy.

The way I look at it, we got equal production out of a late 7th rounder that y’all had to spend a 1st round pick on. :D

We had this argument years ago and many of your swamper friends agreed with me. 

Granted, Colston was a steal for a 7th (I'll give you that) but Roddy he wasn't.

122327899_10218969321327669_145338221666