Arthur Smith

primetime

I posted this in another thread but I also think who gets hired will direct how this team looks moving forward. If we go with Smith or the OC from Indy (name escapes me right now) I think we keep the "core" because we can win with what we have (as someone mentioned above, something in the mold of Manning in Den). I like Smith as HC, he has some great endorsements from around the league and has Tannehill playing as a top 12 QB. 

Edited by DirtyBird2

He is my top choice to be HC. I think his offense is a great fit for the Falcons personnel. We obviously will need to find a RB but the OL is already in place for his outside zone system and MR would be deadly in his playaction passing game. I also love how he uses motion in his offense to get his best players in favorable matchups. 

30 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

If Fangio is fired.

Arthur Smith as HC and Vic Fangio as DC?

Not sure who the GM would be to make this happen.

Is the coach going to report to the GM?  Quinn reported directly to Blank.  Not sure if Blank addressed this or not yet since Quinn & TDs firings.  I’d be curious.

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Or maybe he would actually leverage Ollisons size and strength?

I really like that TEN offense, so would be on board. I just want a team that beats people up for 60 minutes.

Who is this "Ollison" of whom you speak? Is he one of those rarely seen species like the equally mystical "Senat" creature?  Not sure that either have actually been seen in real life...kinda like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster..

2 hours ago, Rings said:

Is the coach going to report to the GM?  Quinn reported directly to Blank.  Not sure if Blank addressed this or not yet since Quinn & TDs firings.  I’d be curious.

I thought I read that the new GM and HC would each report directly to McKay. I could be wrong, but that’s what my memory tells me from Blank, McKay interview transcripts 

I'm not gonna champion a guy for head coach based on one play, but this is legit one of the greatest play calls I've ever seen:

Henry had three TDs already and everyone on Indy went after him on the play. Seriously, there's video of nine guys looking at #22. The other two are manned up. Tannehill running the ball wasn't in anybody's head.

3 hours ago, vel said:

Living in Nashville, I heard about Arthur's genius when he took the OC job. Tons of fans called into the local radio to complain because he wasn't a big name and he was the son of Fred Smith. I forgot the former player (Wycheck?) that gave him a ringing endorsement, but it caught my attention. Then last year happened and it was proven. He can do anything and would be an interesting hire. Would need a proven DC across from him. 

I mentioned in another thread that Vic Fangio should align with Arthur Smith if he sees himself definitely out in Denver. No one will rehire him now as a HC and turning around a low rated defence with plenty of potential will do his stocks for future the world of good. Kinda of the flip of when DQ aligned with Shanahan when he was hired. 

Clearly this is all being done backwards with no GM in place but if the HC is a current coordinator then if he has already selected his opposing Coordinator spot also then this can work. 

3 hours ago, DirtyBird2 said:

I posted this in another thread but I also think who gets hired will direct how this team looks moving forward. If we go with Smith or the OC from Indy (name escapes me right now) I think we keep the "core" because we can win with what we have (as someone mentioned above, something in the mold of Manning in Den). I like Smith as HC, he has some great endorsements from around the league and has Tannehill playing as a top 12 QB. 

I mentioned the similarities in the two teams (barring RB) and I’ve always considered Tannehill a poor mans Matt Ryan. Honestly if we can get RB sorted to just a solid run game then our QB play under Ryan should be as good and if not better than Tannehill. I know Tannehill had crazy stats for his starting games last year but Ryan has shown what he can do (2016) under a quality OC

39 minutes ago, jidady said:

I'm not gonna champion a guy for head coach based on one play, but this is legit one of the greatest play calls I've ever seen:

Henry had three TDs already and everyone on Indy went after him on the play. Seriously, there's video of nine guys looking at #22. The other two are manned up. Tannehill running the ball wasn't in anybody's head.

Matt Ryan would have never gotten there....even with a wide open hole and 1 yard to go.   Would have been looking for some way to fall down :D 

25 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Najee Harris reminds me of him a bit.

‘but, yup, they’re unicorns 

I like Najee - was watching some of his highlights last night.   He is stong/good RB and I wouldn't mind grabbing him in 2nd/3rd - don't know that his upside is Derrick Henry though.   However, he is better pass catcher than Henry.

34 minutes ago, primetime said:

I mentioned the similarities in the two teams (barring RB) and I’ve always considered Tannehill a poor mans Matt Ryan. Honestly if we can get RB sorted to just a solid run game then our QB play under Ryan should be as good and if not better than Tannehill. I know Tannehill had crazy stats for his starting games last year but Ryan has shown what he can do (2016) under a quality OC

I think if AB wants Ryan and Julio to win something here this is the way to go. Figure out RB (Harris/Hubbard?) and go d heavy. Build a team that is similar to what Manning had in Denver. Control the clock, run down their throat and suffocate them on defense (If we can get Smith and Fangio?... even better, rumor has it Fangio is aht at the end of the season), I think we could be in contention. 

7 hours ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Yeah we can win now with the right coaches and added talent in the draft and FA. I agree no QB in the first. What coaches and gms do you like?

For coaches, Smith would be my 1st choice, followed by Bieniemy.  But it wouldn’t achy breaky my heart one bit if it ends up being Raheem either.

GM’s...any of these 3:

(1) John Dorsey

(2) Rick Smith

(3) Champ Kelly

Who you got?

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

For coaches, Smith would be my 1st choice, followed by Bieniemy.  But it wouldn’t achy breaky my heart one bit if it ends up being Raheem either.

GM’s...any of these 3:

(1) John Dorsey

(2) Rick Smith

(3) Champ Kelly

Who you got?

I have no takes in GMs to be honest. Don’t want Bieniemy at all. Wouldn’t hate to keep Ulbrich / Morris on as DCs but I feel it’s sadly HC or nothing for Morris. 

17 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

also speaks volumes to why hasn't he came up with his own playbook good enough to use?

Why doesnt beienmy call the offense, why hasnt he gotten a coaching offer even though he interviewed 10+ times.Smith has  only been OC 2 seasons give the guy a break, im sure when time comes to write his own playbook, he will do great.

6 hours ago, mtldirtybird said:

also speaks volumes to why hasn't he came up with his own playbook good enough to use?

Everybody fell in love with Shanahan and his playbook / route concepts after 2016. Like Sarkisian just because your told to run someone else’s playbook doesn’t mean you don’t have one of your own. Until he is allowed to run his we wont know if it’s any good or not.