Jump to content

Arthur Smith


primetime
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve been watching the Titans v Colts game from this week. I also watched the same teams play two Thursday’s ago. Obviously Arthur Smith’s name has come up a few times re a possible offensively minded HC candidate. His play calling - which obviously centres around RB Henry - is pretty clever when play actioning off Henry. Fake handoffs to Henry/QB keeper on the goal line as well as some mis direction to receivers. I feel like the Titans have a very similar team to us apart from the obvious world beater RB and good coaching. They have an OK Oline and Dline, great Receivers and some defensive playmakers. They use the run to setup the play action pass like we try to do however at times it’s so successful (the run) that they just keep feeding Henry the ball. Clearly we have tried this at times with Gurley  to significantly less success. Thus My question is really “Can Arthur Smith’s playbook actually work in Atlanta without a bonafide stud RB? Will his playbook translate to an increased Offencive production and in particular increased RB success.”

Interested in your thoughts? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, primetime said:

I’ve been watching the Titans v Colts game from this week. I also watched the same teams play two Thursday’s ago. Obviously Arthur Smith’s name has come up a few times re a possible offensively minded HC candidate. His play calling - which obviously centres around RB Henry - is pretty clever when play actioning off Henry. Fake handoffs to Henry/QB keeper on the goal line as well as some mis direction to receivers. I feel like the Titans have a very similar team to us apart from the obvious world beater RB and good coaching. They have an OK Oline and Dline, great Receivers and some defensive playmakers. They use the run to setup the play action pass like we try to do however at times it’s so successful (the run) that they just keep feeding Henry the ball. Clearly we have tried this at times with Gurley  to significantly less success. Thus My question is really “Can Arthur Smith’s playbook actually work in Atlanta without a bonafide stud RB? Will his playbook translate to an increased Offencive production and in particular increased RB success.”

Interested in your thoughts? 

There’s this thing called the draft....:ninja:

But I agree. Been saying for a couple years now falcons with Ryan should follow Broncos approach during Elway’s last few seasons as their QB...less emphasis on passing, more emphasis on running the ball. And of course, invest in defense. 
 

We’ve invested significant capital in OL. With the right OC, we’re set up fairly well to transition into a more balanced approach. Which is why I think it’s silly to draft a new QB right now. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

There’s this thing called the draft....:ninja:

Been hoping falcons with Ryan follow Broncos approach during Elway’s last few seasons as their QB...less emphasis on passing, more emphasis on running the ball. And of course, invest in defense. 
 

We’ve invested significant capital in OL. With the right OC, we’re set up fairly well to do transition into a more balanced approach. Which is why I think it’s silly to draft a new QB right now. 

 

Terrell Davis was like a 7th round pick. You don't have to take a back with the first pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

Terrell Davis was like a 7th round pick. You don't have to take a back with the first pick.

 

Yeah but Terrell Davis wasn't originally drafted to be the guy at RB for Shanahan.

 

He almost didn't make the final roster. It took him blowing up someone on a special teams play to get noticed.

 

Everything just so happened to workout for Davis that usually doesn't happen for a 7th round pick because even he came extremely close to not getting his shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Yeah but Terrell Davis wasn't originally drafted to be the guy at RB for Shanahan.

 

He almost didn't make the final roster. It took him blowing up someone on a special teams play to get noticed.

 

Everything just so happened to workout for Davis that usually doesn't happen for a 7th round pick because even he came extremely close to not getting his shot.

Remember those Denver offensive lines? Anyone could (and did) break out behind them. I remember at the time Jamal Anderson was a late round pick that played his *** off to get to the starting spot. Those were two great stories back then. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

Remember those Denver offensive lines? Anyone could (and did) break out behind them. I remember at the time Jamal Anderson was a late round pick that played his *** off to get to the starting spot. Those were two great stories back then. 

 

Yeah, true.

 

But doesn't Arthur Smith run a different blocking scheme and different o-linemen than what the Falcons currently have?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Yeah, true.

 

But doesn't Arthur Smith run a different blocking scheme and different o-linemen than what the Falcons currently have?

Beats me. 

No one runs an offense line like those late 90s/early 2000s Broncos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, primetime said:

I’ve been watching the Titans v Colts game from this week. I also watched the same teams play two Thursday’s ago. Obviously Arthur Smith’s name has come up a few times re a possible offensively minded HC candidate. His play calling - which obviously centres around RB Henry - is pretty clever when play actioning off Henry. Fake handoffs to Henry/QB keeper on the goal line as well as some mis direction to receivers. I feel like the Titans have a very similar team to us apart from the obvious world beater RB and good coaching. They have an OK Oline and Dline, great Receivers and some defensive playmakers. They use the run to setup the play action pass like we try to do however at times it’s so successful (the run) that they just keep feeding Henry the ball. Clearly we have tried this at times with Gurley  to significantly less success. Thus My question is really “Can Arthur Smith’s playbook actually work in Atlanta without a bonafide stud RB? Will his playbook translate to an increased Offencive production and in particular increased RB success.”

Interested in your thoughts? 

I heard on a podcast yesterday that the Titans had Arthur Smith keep Matt LaFleur's playpook and that Arthur's playbook is more in style with Ken Whisenhunt, and Mike Munchak. So depends on what you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

There’s this thing called the draft....:ninja:

Been saying for a couple years now falcons with Ryan should follow Broncos approach during Elway’s last few seasons as their QB...less emphasis on passing, more emphasis on running the ball. And of course, invest in defense. 
 

We’ve invested significant capital in OL. With the right OC, we’re set up fairly well to transition into a more balanced approach. Which is why I think it’s silly to draft a new QB right now. 

 

Yeah we can win now with the right coaches and added talent in the draft and FA. I agree no QB in the first. What coaches and gms do you like?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Henry wasn't really anything before Smith was OC. The 3 years before - with the possible exception of 2018, which still wasn't special - he wasn't even in the top 5 RBs discussion.

He also worked absolute magic with Tannehill.

the point is Derrick Henry is a unicorn - and he is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

I heard on a podcast yesterday that the Titans had Arthur Smith keep Matt LaFleur's playpook and that Arthur's playbook is more in style with Ken Whisenhunt, and Mike Munchak. So depends on what you want.

Thats impressive. considerig lafleur wasnt very good as an OC. If smith can take someones playbook and run it better than them, then it speaks volumes of how smart he is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dapanch420 said:

Thats impressive. considerig lafleur wasnt very good as an OC. If smith can take someones playbook and run it better than them, then it speaks volumes of how smart he is.

Yeah I agree, but I did'nt think Matt was bad from what I remember. Hes a **** good head coach for the Packers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

I would like something like this. Are you no a fan of Gono at LG? I know we haven't seen enough. I guess if Carp is out we can see what we have at LG now.

I'm one of the last to get on the Gono train but it would be great if he could step up in that role. We need as many picks as possible in the draft. We only have 32 players under contract in 2021 and will probably have to cut 4 or 5 to free up cap space. We're like $25M over at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Living in Nashville, I heard about Arthur's genius when he took the OC job. Tons of fans called into the local radio to complain because he wasn't a big name and he was the son of Fred Smith. I forgot the former player (Wycheck?) that gave him a ringing endorsement, but it caught my attention. Then last year happened and it was proven. He can do anything and would be an interesting hire. Would need a proven DC across from him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, vel said:

Living in Nashville, I heard about Arthur's genius when he took the OC job. Tons of fans called into the local radio to complain because he wasn't a big name and he was the son of Fred Smith. I forgot the former player (Wycheck?) that gave him a ringing endorsement, but it caught my attention. Then last year happened and it was proven. He can do anything and would be an interesting hire. Would need a proven DC across from him. 

 

If Fangio is fired.

 

Arthur Smith as HC and Vic Fangio as DC?

 

Not sure who the GM would be to make this happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...