Vic Fangio: Falcons DC in 2021

FalconsIn2012

What Fangio needs to do is align himself with a young up and coming OC/HC candidate (i.e Arthur Smith) and hitch himself to that wagon. I really don’t believe he will be looked at seriously as a HC right now but after another successful stint as a DC he could be right in the mix again 

Edited by primetime

12 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If we end up with a complete coaching overhaul and hire an offensive minded head coach next year, we need to have Fangio on our very short list to take over as Falcons defensive coordinator

Seems like a stupid move by Elway

Does Fangio use the 3-4?  Anyone know?

22 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

They are a 34 base but very multiple.  This is an incredibly solid endorsement 

The answer to that question might be found in a recent ESPN interview with Matt LaFleur, San Francisco 49ers' head coach Kyle Shanahan, and Rams head coach Sean McVay, all three of whom picked Vic Fangio as the toughest defensive coach to go against. 

LaFleur: There are so many guys and every system is different, but I look at Vic Fangio. Just the fronts and the multiple looks you get from him. That's incredibly difficult. Shoot, Indianapolis last year we knew exactly what they were going to do to us and we didn't have a lot of success because they were so sound. They stuffed the run out of a two-safety defense and played extremely fast.

Shanahan: My hardest has probably always been Vic Fangio. He does so many things with his personnel groupings that he puts you in a bind with protections. He ties a lot of stuff together. Playing against him, I feel he packages stuff very similar to how I would think. [Bill] Belichick is very similar. They do it in a different style. You know they don't just run their defenses. They figure out what you're doing and then they think about how to stop what you're doing and that's very similar to how I am. I don't just run my offense. I have no idea what I'm going to call until I know what defense I'm visualizing and trying to attack. It's fun.

McVay: For us, I think Fangio and the Bears did an outstanding job of a sound scheme with versatility mixed with great players. And clearly what New England did down the stretch was impressive. Those are the two defenses that gave us the most trouble. I thought the Saints were excellent as well.

14 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

They are a 34 base but very multiple.  This is an incredibly solid endorsement 

The answer to that question might be found in a recent ESPN interview with Matt LaFleur, San Francisco 49ers' head coach Kyle Shanahan, and Rams head coach Sean McVay, all three of whom picked Vic Fangio as the toughest defensive coach to go against. 

LaFleur: There are so many guys and every system is different, but I look at Vic Fangio. Just the fronts and the multiple looks you get from him. That's incredibly difficult. Shoot, Indianapolis last year we knew exactly what they were going to do to us and we didn't have a lot of success because they were so sound. They stuffed the run out of a two-safety defense and played extremely fast.

Shanahan: My hardest has probably always been Vic Fangio. He does so many things with his personnel groupings that he puts you in a bind with protections. He ties a lot of stuff together. Playing against him, I feel he packages stuff very similar to how I would think. [Bill] Belichick is very similar. They do it in a different style. You know they don't just run their defenses. They figure out what you're doing and then they think about how to stop what you're doing and that's very similar to how I am. I don't just run my offense. I have no idea what I'm going to call until I know what defense I'm visualizing and trying to attack. It's fun.

McVay: For us, I think Fangio and the Bears did an outstanding job of a sound scheme with versatility mixed with great players. And clearly what New England did down the stretch was impressive. Those are the two defenses that gave us the most trouble. I thought the Saints were excellent as well.

Good endorsement there.

2 hours ago, egoprime II said:

It’s a 3-4 base but front-wise it’s not too much different from what we’ve been doing. Fangio uses a lot of under stuff then will mix in a healthy amount of Bear fronts, which we’ve been doing for the past few seasons increasingly.

Coverage-wise it’s a lot of zone mainly out of two-high. Quarters and cover-6 are his go-to’s. His last couple of stops he hasn’t been shy about 2 man under though.

5 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Yes, he does. He runs a hybrid of it too at times. He also gets a lot out of players who historically don’t preform elsewhere. Really great defensive mind who simply has never had a QB in DEN. 

As an aside, the falcons blow, but at least they have real ownership. 
Denver is circling the drain cause Pat Bowlen had a bunch of screw up, trust fund baby kids who can’t run a lemonade stand. And now they are all suing each other and playing legal games. No owner. Just Elway and some guy named Ellis playing pretend boss. That’s a never ending  fustercluck right there, folks. 

On 12/2/2020 at 1:07 PM, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

It’s a 3-4 base but front-wise it’s not too much different from what we’ve been doing. Fangio uses a lot of under stuff then will mix in a healthy amount of Bear fronts, which we’ve been doing for the past few seasons increasingly.

Coverage-wise it’s a lot of zone mainly out of two-high. Quarters and cover-6 are his go-to’s. His last couple of stops he hasn’t been shy about 2 man under though.

Peyton you should learn a little about football before posting 

/p

4 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

If Elway doesn't get him a QB next season, Fangio will be the fall guy.

The problem in DEN is Elway can do whatever he wants. He’s a legend in CO and there is no owner to reign him in. It’s a country club atmosphere and the only reason Kubiak left was because it was so obvious to the media and fans when they see Kubiak and Elway at the golf club bar every day at 2PM that the outcry from them forced Elways hand. 
The Bowlen kids are all Knives Out slashing at each other in court and Elway gets to sit back in daddys office and say “move me”. These trust funds take years to go through the courts. 
The only thing that will speed up that mess is the Commissioner making them sell the team to a real owner. 
The only reason I’m aware of that mess is there’s lots of rumors that Bezos is looking to buy the team.

Hopefully, somehow Vic is set free after this year. 

13 minutes ago, ShaneFalco said:

The problem in DEN is Elway can do whatever he wants. He’s a legend in CO and there is no owner to reign him in. It’s a country club atmosphere and the only reason Kubiak left was because it was so obvious to the media and fans when they see Kubiak and Elway at the golf club bar every day at 2PM that the outcry from them forced Elways hand. 
The Bowlen kids are all Knives Out slashing at each other in court and Elway gets to sit back in daddys office and say “move me”. These trust funds take years to go through the courts. 
The only thing that will speed up that mess is the Commissioner making them sell the team to a real owner. 
The only reason I’m aware of that mess is there’s lots of rumors that Bezos is looking to buy the team.

Hopefully, somehow Vic is set free after this year. 

Yep, Elway is **** near invincible in the situation.

If I were Fangio, I'd agree to part ways if Elway doesn't get him a QB this off-season.

Elway needs to get one of the obvious QB prospects in the draft, or lure Andrew Luck out of retirement and from the Colts. Both he and Elway know each other from Stanford connections.

12 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yep, Elway is **** near invincible in the situation.

If I were Fangio, I'd agree to part ways if Elway doesn't get him a QB this off-season.

Elway needs to get one of the obvious QB prospects in the draft, or lure Andrew Luck out of retirement and from the Colts. Both he and Elway know each other from Stanford connections.

I see Elway offering a boat load for Aaron Rogers in the off-season. 
Elway is a country club GM. 
He got his unicorn in Peyton to come there and he can’t develop a young QB to save his life, so he takes Easy St. 

Elway loves to just solve his glaring problems by just offering picks and cash for players he wants like its Monopoly money. Cause it is to him. 
He solves his QB conundrum by getting a Mark Sanchez. Or a Joe Facco. He thinks he can catch the Manning-lighting in a bottle and just roll with a solid D. 
I guarantee Elway will be looking at vet QBs. Like Ryan or Rogers. That’s what he wants. An immediate improvement at QB so he doesn’t have to look at the position anymore. 

****, it may pay off for ATL. 

5 minutes ago, ShaneFalco said:

I see Elway offering a boat load for Aaron Rogers in the off-season. 
Elway is a country club GM. 
He got his unicorn in Peyton to come there and he can’t develop a young QB to save his life, so he takes Easy St. 

Elway loves to just solve his glaring problems by just offering picks and cash for players he wants like its Monopoly money. Cause it is to him. 
He solves his QB conundrum by getting a Mark Sanchez. Or a Joe Facco. He thinks he can catch the Manning-lighting in a bottle and just roll with a solid D. 
I guarantee Elway will be looking at vet QBs. Like Ryan or Rogers. That’s what he wants. An immediate improvement at QB so he doesn’t have to look at the position anymore. 

****, it may pay off for ATL. 

I forgot about the Rodgers situation. But I'm not sure if Jordan Love would be ready next season though. I think Rodgers may have another season or two in Green Bay.

As for Ryan, that depends on who the next GM/HC is and if they want to draft a QB and whether they want them to learn behind Ryan while they can still be competitive.

3 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I forgot about the Rodgers situation. But I'm not sure if Jordan Love would be ready next season though. I think Rodgers may have another season or two in Green Bay.

As for Ryan, that depends on who the next GM/HC is and if they want to draft a QB and whether they want them to learn behind Ryan while they can still be competitive.

I’m betting Elway thinks he can win yet again with Rogers and a stout D. 
The have WR Sutton-Jeudy-Hamler. TR Albert O and Fant and RB Gordon and Lindsey. I’m betting Rogers would be able to get a lot out of that offense. 

Elway is going to offer up a Kings ransom to GB. 

And if they say no, his next call will be to Blank.