Vanderbilt vs #8 Georgia Thread

Game is currently questionable due to some issues with Vandy. Players are currently revolting and some starters are said to have opted out of any remaining games, to include this weekend against UGA.

The primary driver of this situation appears to be players mad that the athletic department is forcing Sarah Fuller into a starting role for a publicity stunt when there are walk on kickers on the team who are better options for this game. Not my opinion. That's what is being reported by Vandy insiders.

UGA opened as a 35.5 point favorite. If this game can't be played then I think that will be a wrap on the Dawgs season until bowl games are announced. I don't believe the Mizzou game has actually been rescheduled yet.

Edited by Carter
ranking correction
  • Carter changed the title to Vanderbilt vs #8 Georgia Thread
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I get some more expert analysis from you?  Or maybe you could just answer my original question.

What a ridiculous thread derailment 

As was said in another thread here just yesterday, keep the politics out. Sports isn't the place to bring your divisive rhetoric. 

15 hours ago, Carter said:

Game is currently questionable due to some issues with Vandy. Players are currently revolting and some starters are said to have opted out of any remaining games, to include this weekend against UGA.

The primary driver of this situation appears to be players mad that the athletic department is forcing Sarah Fuller into a starting role for a publicity stunt when there are walk on kickers on the team who are better options for this game. Not my opinion. That's what is being reported by Vandy insiders.

UGA opened as a 35.5 point favorite. If this game can't be played then I think that will be a wrap on the Dawgs season until bowl games are announced. I don't believe the Mizzou game has actually been rescheduled yet.

Woah that’s kind of nuts why people were mad. I thought it was kind of cool to some degree because it was an 0-7 team just looking to do something cool. But I get why the players are mad though.

I would have thought people were mad over Mason being fired during this weird year before that 

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Woah that’s kind of nuts why people were mad. I thought it was kind of cool to some degree because it was an 0-7 team just looking to do something cool. But I get why the players are mad though.

I would have thought people were mad over Mason being fired during this weird year before that 

Well to be clear, it doesn't sound like any of them had any problem with her being brought in last week because they didn't have a kicker available. Apparently that's not the case now and some of the team (I really don't know how many) have an issue with her being kept on when some of their regular players at that spot are now available this week.

When I first heard about the players revolting, I thought it would have more to do with Mason being fired as well.

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Well to be clear, it doesn't sound like any of them had any problem with her being brought in last week because they didn't have a kicker available. Apparently that's not the case now and some of the team (I really don't know how many) have an issue with her being kept on when some of their regular players at that spot are now available this week.

When I first heard about the players revolting, I thought it would have more to do with Mason being fired as well.

I was about to ask why she didn’t get more kicks during the game last week. Then I remembered Vandy didn’t score at all. So yeah...

If all their kickers and such are available this week, maybe she has beaten them out in practice...? It’s either that or this really is just a PR stunt. I’ll let everyone come to their opinions on their own 

2 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I was about to ask why she didn’t get more kicks during the game last week. Then I remembered Vandy didn’t score at all. So yeah...

If all their kickers and such are available this week, maybe she has beaten them out in practice...? It’s either that or this really is just a PR stunt. I’ll let everyone come to their opinions on their own 

That squib kickoff is going to be about the only thing memorable from this season for Vandy.

28 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Yeah this is a publicity stunt now. It’s gotta be coming from the AD because she isn’t good as a kicker

All of Vandys kickers are in Covid quarantine and still are for this weekend. Fitch did mention theyve talked to Ryley Quay about rejoining the team. Quay was their kicker for 2 years before focusing fully on med school. He has 1 year of eligibility left. 

39 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

All of Vandys kickers are in Covid quarantine and still are for this weekend. Fitch did mention theyve talked to Ryley Quay about rejoining the team. Quay was their kicker for 2 years before focusing fully on med school. He has 1 year of eligibility left. 

Supposedly one of Vandy beat writers on 247 said a couple kickers tested negative and could have kicked Saturday. But that’s what someone on the Miami board was saying. Their punter was a kicker in high school too. 

2 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

She addressed the team at halftime because they were quiet and not cheering for their teammates. I know that had to rub some players wrong 

Yeah I would be pissed off too. Getting annihilated and someone tells you to cheer for your teammates. When you are getting beaten badly that’s not ideal 

14 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Yeah I would be pissed off too. Getting annihilated and someone tells you to cheer for your teammates. When you are getting beaten badly that’s not ideal 

especially someone brought in for a PR stunt who hasn't put in any hard work like they all have.. it's like a newbie at my job coming in and telling us he wants to see us be more supportive of each other and he just started as a contractor and hasn't done jack at our company.. we would tell him to shut the heck up and stay in his lane.  it's ridiculous she was allowed to address the team at halftime.. it goes to show you why mason was fired..  anyone who thought that was a good idea has no business being a head coach. 

3 hours ago, Red Bandana said:

Vanderbilt players have way bigger problems than having a female kicker on the team

They do. But I get why players would be frustrated at letting a newcomer who has never played a down of football prior to that game speak at halftime. Then telling the team they need to cheer each other on more sets a bad tone. She hadn’t been in the locker room prior to that. 

Vandy does have a lot of problems though starting with being 0-8. I don’t really blame her at all. Felt like she was put in a terrible position and still has been. Hope she has success though. I did think it was cool to see her kickoff even if they only let her squib it 

11 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

especially someone brought in for a PR stunt who hasn't put in any hard work like they all have.. it's like a newbie at my job coming in and telling us he wants to see us be more supportive of each other and he just started as a contractor and hasn't done jack at our company.. we would tell him to shut the heck up and stay in his lane.  it's ridiculous she was allowed to address the team at halftime.. it goes to show you why mason was fired..  anyone who thought that was a good idea has no business being a head coach. 

Bold to assume he had final say

7 hours ago, AutumnEffect said:

Does somebody other than the head football coach at Vanderbilt have the final word on who plays?

You think the AD or someone else above him couldn’t put pressure and force him to do it? This stunt doesn’t help Mason in anyway think about why he would do it? There’s no reason for him to. This is all publicity for Vandy why would he care about that?

15 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Bold to assume he had final say

If Mason was forced to play her (which makes sense for Vandy because they stink and that is a great way to get positive PR as a stunt like this would accomplish) that is understandable since he has zero political capital left and probably already knew he was gone.. the halftime speech though I don't see anyway that was the administration.. that was on mason and his staff to allow that idiocy. 

On 12/3/2020 at 10:27 AM, SacFalcFan said:

Word is it came from someone higher than Mason. And some of the coaches thanked her and said that needed to be said. Crazy