There's something about AJ.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone else notice it?  It goes beyond the solid play for a Rook at a difficult position without the luxury of a typical offseason. There's something about his body language, for example after he got

It's almost like this is what some of us kept saying about the LSU game. He got beat bad by Chase a few times but never backed down. He plays very good football. He's very fundamentally sound and alwa

I like him because he's one of those rare Falcon defenders who actually knows how to...what's that word?...they used to do it here back in the 90s... oh yeah....TACKLE. 

At this point, I'm just glad he's panning out and I'm happy to have him for the years to come.

I'm going to be real though. Dont take this as a knock on Terrell, but rather a knock on how the last regime went about building football teams. Given our FS situation, I still dont understand how DQ and TD thought a CB was supposed to fix our pass defense. Given that everyone knew their jobs were on the line, I thought the smart move was to draft for who and/or what would have the biggest effect on the team THIS YEAR. From a secondary perspective, I believed that would be Free Safety. To me, taking a CB (No matter how good he may be) and not addressing the back end was not going to do much to fix our pass defense. If We would have taken Terrell and made a move at the back end of the 1st or early second for one of the top FS's, or gone out in FA and brought in a FS to pair w/ Terrell, it would have made a lot more sense. When and if we finally get a real FS, you are going to see these CB's start to really flourish.

Edited by Snafu
10 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

He's a keeper.  TD hits on them every now and then.

Yeap.. Even I hit on the first round a few times.. but I'll just pull up the last one besides AJ,,  If you can recall.. when Derrick Henry came out.. I made a post before the draft and said, what ever it takes we should Draft him. Didn't happen,, But he is even a better player than I thought he  could be .. That's very rare. And he's not here, but he is with my second team at least. If we can't make the playoffs, I will be rooting for Tenn. I live within 10 miles from the line and have several people I work for in Chat. Tn. Plus I went to Tennessee Temple there. 

10 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Yeap.. Even I hit on the first round a few times.. but I'll just pull up the last one besides AJ,,  If you can recall.. when Derrick Henry came out.. I made a post before the draft and said, what ever it takes we should Draft him. Didn't happen,, But he is even a better player than I thought he  could be .. That's very rare. And he's not here, but he is with my second team at least. If we can't make the playoffs, I will be rooting for Tenn. I live within 10 miles from the line and have several people I work for in Chat. Tn. Plus I went to Tennessee Temple there. 

giphy.gif

Crazy I was down because of the wins we got and took us out of Okudah as felt it was a big need, and although I liked AJ, the koolaid seemed to taste like a  just must have  Okudah.

AJ selection is a perfect example of not needing top 5 draft selection for success in first round.

Pair him with Farley (No play this year, elite size/length/ speed/ and production when played) but does he get out of top 6? He smells like a casualty(there will be some) of not playing this year and busting. Its a dynamic that has to be in minds of GMs.

Surtain-(dominant SEC CB with elite size but questionable recovery speed?, man he passes my eye test and should be in draft spot wheel house

Samual- ( does he go top 10?, doesnt make it out of 15 IMO, he is some kind of quick but smaller than other 2 at 5'10" 185, his tape pops, can he be a number 2?)

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

At this point, I'm just glad he's panning out and I'm happy to have him for the years to come.

I'm going to be real though. Dont take this as a knock on Terrell, but rather a knock on how the last regime went about building football teams. Given our FS situation, I still dont understand how DQ and TD thought a CB was supposed to fix our pass defense. Given that everyone knew their jobs were on the line, I thought the smart move was to draft for who and/or what would have the biggest effect on the team THIS YEAR. From a secondary perspective, I believed that would be Free Safety. To me, taking a CB (No matter how good he may be) and not addressing the back end was not going to do much to fix our pass defense. If We would have taken Terrell and made a move at the back end of the 1st or early second for one of the top FS's, or gone out in FA and brought in a FS to pair w/ Terrell, it would have made a lot more sense. When and if we finally get a real FS, you are going to see these CB's start to really flourish.

I whole-heartedly agree. Since this is all water under the bridge, now is the time to make it right. We do need safeties. Another DL wouldn't hurt, either.

2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

Yep, the way things go.

Side note: You live within 10 miles of Tennessee, you know that could be one of 9 states? And for those of you who do not know:

Alabama

Arkansas 

Georgia

Kentucky

Mississippi 

Missouri 

North Carolina

South Carolina

Virginia 

One other interesting point that many of y'all won't believe. I live in Virginia, and there are only two states between us and Texas.  They are Tennessee and Arkansas.

The kid is tough. His mental is strong.

Deion pointed it out at the combine. How on the biggest stage of his life he kept coming back. Never backing down from the fight.

Meanwhile, at the same combine, I saw Okudah, with everyone raving about him being this once in a generation talent, repeatedly stumble over his own 2 feet. Shrinking in the moment. That showed me a lot about his mental.

Fast forward to today, AJ Terrell is not perfect by any means. But this kid has heart. And he puts it on the line every single game. I hope he never loses that about him.

We got the right guy.

4 hours ago, Snafu said:

Think how epically different our defense would be if we took TJ Watt or Budda Baker the year we drafted Takk... Esp. if we stayed put and kept our 3rd.

3 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Crazy I was down because of the wins we got and took us out of Okudah as felt it was a big need, and although I liked AJ, the koolaid seemed to taste like a  just must have  Okudah.

AJ selection is a perfect example of not needing top 5 draft selection for success in first round.

Pair him with Farley (No play this year, elite size/length/ speed/ and production when played) but does he get out of top 6? He smells like a casualty(there will be some) of not playing this year and busting. Its a dynamic that has to be in minds of GMs.

Surtain-(dominant SEC CB with elite size but questionable recovery speed?, man he passes my eye test and should be in draft spot wheel house

Samual- ( does he go top 10?, doesnt make it out of 15 IMO, he is some kind of quick but smaller than other 2 at 5'10" 185, his tape pops, can he be a number 2?)

Pair him with Surtain or Farley and grab a FS in the second.. that would make the draft for me... after that grab DE...

14 hours ago, vel said:

It's almost like this is what some of us kept saying about the LSU game. He got beat bad by Chase a few times but never backed down. He plays very good football. He's very fundamentally sound and always aware of the situation. He's looking to make an impact, not just not give up catches. That was my biggest issue with Trufant. He was more focused on himself and not giving up catches, which is fine and dandy, but then you find yourself covering nobody instead of helping the defense. Even in run support, on the fourth down stop by Debo, Terrell took on the pulling RT at the LOS and never flinched. He's a baller. Some of us tried to tell it before the season started. He's got top 5 CB type of potential. 

Chris Simms had him rated as a top CB even after the LSU game. There's a good video on it around here somewhere. If I remember correctly, Simms was pointing out that those throws against him were basically perfect pinpoint passes and he had then defended perfectly and that you can't defend a perfect throw.

14 hours ago, vel said:

It's almost like this is what some of us kept saying about the LSU game. He got beat bad by Chase a few times but never backed down. He plays very good football. He's very fundamentally sound and always aware of the situation. He's looking to make an impact, not just not give up catches. That was my biggest issue with Trufant. He was more focused on himself and not giving up catches, which is fine and dandy, but then you find yourself covering nobody instead of helping the defense. Even in run support, on the fourth down stop by Debo, Terrell took on the pulling RT at the LOS and never flinched. He's a baller. Some of us tried to tell it before the season started. He's got top 5 CB type of potential. 

5 minutes ago, fuego said:

Chris Simms had him rated as a top CB even after the LSU game. There's a good video on it around here somewhere. If I remember correctly, Simms was pointing out that those throws against him were basically perfect pinpoint passes and he had then defended perfectly and that you can't defend a perfect throw.

I found it. He had AJ as his #2 cornerback. Start at 24:15.

12 hours ago, dawgsjw said:

You mean by D Quinn.  Sh*t on DQ as much as you want, but he made some great picks on the defensive side, even though Vic and Takk didn't pan out (minus that 1 year).  TD is getting too much credit here but we'll never know I guess.  Just once DQ got here our defensive drafting improved a lot.  

I’m happy to rag on TD for the bad draft picks but I won’t take away the good picks from him also. His teams with good coaching were able to make multiple playoffs and arguably should have had one Super Bowl. Plenty of pro bowlers in those years and a lot of revisionist history by armchair fans who could have selected multiple others. AJ is a perfect example of this. Overall TD probably did more good than harm. 

12 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

I think Scott Pioli was part of that as well. TD was good in some areas but sucked for 13 trying to find a pass rusher and the same can be said pretty much for the DL/OL trenches. 

I agree on the Scott part, but TD gets way too much credit on our draft picks.  Look at the drafts before DQ came in town and it changed big time once DQ rolled in.  Remember the 2012 draft and only a few years later and none of them guys were on any NFL team.   TD was trash on finding linemen for sure.